Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 12:55 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Has it dawned on you, some people leave, not because they can't afford to live there, but because they want to live with truly friendly people, people who value something other than money and who prefer to be around those who are not don't put themselves above others.
^^^^^ This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Quite right, Nita. "How sweet it is!"
I've spent some time in your general neck of the woods (Table Rock Lake ), and in Nita's neck of the woods. Both are great .

Old 01-01-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why didn't you say so, earlier, V8? You're just a grumpy old man, that's why your posts are so frothing. We can forgive you. And btw, T-supplementation for men is known to turn curmudgeons into purring pussycats. Just saying.
LOL. He has mentioned (perhaps not so regularly) that he is retired, but stating his age.....this may be the first time he has revealed his age.

Edit: (accidentally erased the bottom of the post that I was going to 'quote for reply').....

.....I love Taos, and much of the rest of the area around the Enchanted Circle .

Last edited by RMESMH; 01-01-2017 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: ADDED EDIT

Old 01-01-2017, 07:38 PM

1,230 posts, read 992,708 times
Quote:
you are right about the counter culture and it has always been around, but call it what you want, the Hippy generation was very much a part of the 60s and early 70s. They were more the rule than the exception; that was the starting of "free love" the "peace" movement, demonstration in a not so peaceful way and many did not outgrow it. I can also say, based on experience, many who were adults just prior to the 60s have never even tried pot. If they did it was a one time experiment. And there are many living in CA who do not work: didn't then, do not now. They are either street people or living off the government. Of course this can be found in any state they are just more apparent in the big cities of CA.

nmnita I think you be better of making other thread to talk about the history and origin of hippies because that not scopes of this thread.

As this thread was asking where did the hippies moved to and how wide spread is the hippies today in California, not in the past but the political climate of those cities today.

Like I said I was in San Diego for a day and I seen a number of people in dreadlocks. Is this typical of San Diego? Did lot of hippies and potheads moved to San Diego? Are there lots of hippies and potheads in San Diego? Is long hair and dreadlocks really popular in San Diego?

The reason I ask is when the last time I was in Los Angeles it seems long hair and people in dreadlocks are NOT popular there at all. But when I was in San Diego for a day and I seen a number of people in dreadlocks and long hair.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:43 PM

1,230 posts, read 992,708 times
Quote:
If they did it was a one time experiment. And there are many living in CA who do not work: didn't then, do not now. They are either street people or living off the government. Of course this can be found in any state they are just more apparent in the big cities of CA.
So San Francisco and Los Angeles is more conservative and San Diego more liberal?

Old 01-01-2017, 08:41 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I wish I was old enough then to see Joplin in concert. Love her voice
In June of 67 I saw the Doors at Mt. Tamalpais and Janis Joplin @ Monterey Pop Festival. In 69 I saw Grace Slick w/ the Jefferson Airplane in concert at Golden Gate Park. In Dec. 66 I saw Otis Redding @ the Fillmore and found out later that Janis Joplin was in the audience.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
nmnita I think you be better of making other thread to talk about the history and origin of hippies because that not scopes of this thread.

As this thread was asking where did the hippies moved to and how wide spread is the hippies today in California, not in the past but the political climate of those cities today.

Like I said I was in San Diego for a day and I seen a number of people in dreadlocks. Is this typical of San Diego? Did lot of hippies and potheads moved to San Diego? Are there lots of hippies and potheads in San Diego? Is long hair and dreadlocks really popular in San Diego?

The reason I ask is when the last time I was in Los Angeles it seems long hair and people in dreadlocks are NOT popular there at all. But when I was in San Diego for a day and I seen a number of people in dreadlocks and long hair.
understand, you I was mostly responding to others comments about the history of Hippies in CA.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:48 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I've spent some time in your general neck of the woods (Table Rock Lake ), and in Nita's neck of the woods. Both are great .
Good for you. The Ozarks are unique and quite beautiful.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:36 AM

117 posts, read 149,786 times
Quote:
OMG, were you alive in the 60s and early 70? and did you live, as an adult in California? I did, I lived in Marin County from 65 to 70 and then we got transferred back to So. Ca. Of course the hippy culture was very much a part of life in those decades. My brothers were pretty much a part of them; luckily they outgrew some of the views on what life was or is all about.
I was a kid and teenager throughout the sixties and seventies and let me tell you most of the "hippies" we're full of it. Very few of those young people were true hippies.

Some of them came to my grammar school back in '69. They were from the college a block away. They came with wheel barrows filled with dirt and they proceeded to tell us that we could live off of mother earth and we didn't need to exploit the planet. They told us we could eat dirt and flowers and it was healthy. Then one day a bunch of us were walking home and as we passed the local burger joint we saw some of those hippies sucking down cheeseburgers and milkshakes. We may have been 9 years old but we knew hypocrites when we saw them. When we challengeD them and their BS they chased us out of the shop.

All those hippies now live in San Rafael, Mill Valley or my favorite, Woodside...there the biggest hippy hypocrite of them all lives - Joan Baez. Yeah, she lives in one of the most expensive and exclusive areas in the nation.

Agonizing Reappraisal......

Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post
I was a kid and teenager throughout the sixties and seventies and let me tell you most of the "hippies" we're full of it. Very few of those young people were true hippies.

Some of them came to my grammar school back in '69. They were from the college a block away. They came with wheel barrows filled with dirt and they proceeded to tell us that we could live off of mother earth and we didn't need to exploit the planet. They told us we could eat dirt and flowers and it was healthy. Then one day a bunch of us were walking home and as we passed the local burger joint we saw some of those hippies sucking down cheeseburgers and milkshakes. We may have been 9 years old but we knew hypocrites when we saw them. When we challengeD them and their BS they chased us out of the shop.

All those hippies now live in San Rafael, Mill Valley or my favorite, Woodside...there the biggest hippy hypocrite of them all lives - Joan Baez. Yeah, she lives in one of the most expensive and exclusive areas in the nation.

Agonizing Reappraisal......
Oh noes! We've realized that hippies are just like ......... people! They change and evolve! They believed in things when they were young that appeared different as they matured!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California