Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 10:30 PM

7 posts, read 15,835 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My family and I currently live in Southern California. We are mostly introverted, HSPs so living in a place that is busy with a high population density is not working out for us. We need to stay in California. Our preferences are as follows:

Must Haves:
Family Friendly (safe, other families to socialize with)
Good Schools
LOTS of nature/parks
Not too hot of weather (85 would be an ideal max, no min)
Friendly Neighbors
More on the remote side (but still within reach of modern conveniences such as groceries, Target, etc)

Nice to Haves:
Educated, Liberal people
Close to technology jobs (programmer...though I currently work from home, so that isn't an issue)

In my research (we've lived in 3 states so far) it's been tough to get all of the above. It seems like when you start getting more remote, you start to lose other factors (good schools, jobs, etc). Also, it seems like more liberal people tend to live near cities.

As of now, we are leaning towards the Arcata/Eureka area, but are also exploring the outskirts of San Francisco area.

Any suggestions/tips?

Thanks so much for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 10:42 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,107,832 times
Davis.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:50 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,685,034 times
Eureka/Arcata is weird and too remote.

I think Davis, CA is perfect for you. A little hotter in summer than you'd like, but it does cool down in the evenings with the delta breezes.

Davis is a great town and if you can't find work right in Davis, you can work in Sacramento. The Amtrak Capital Corridor train also runs from downtown Davis (really nice train station right in downtown) into both Sacramento and to the Bay Area.

Very safe, family friendly, lots of greenbelts, UC Davis has lots of gorgeous grounds and activities, etc., including a horse barn with horseback riding lessons, even, as they have a huge veterinarian college, including large animals. There's a dairy barn even, and a vineyard. Check out my favorite family-friendly event every year at UC Davis, called picnic day:

Schedule of Events (it's huge!)

https://picnicday.ucdavis.edu/wp-con...ergeMap_V2.pdf

https://www.google.com/search?q=uc+d..._AUIBygC&dpr=1

Weiner dog races, sheep dog trials, tech displays including experimental vehicles, etc., parade, rodeo exhibits, dog stuff, just a great day full of events.

Great schools. Very flat and bike friendly. And easy proximity to other cities and not horribly far from the mountains or beaches, either.

I used to live there - I've lived all over northern CA - and now live in Crescent City, north of Eureka/Arcata. I really dislike the Eureka area. Unless you're really into the pot culture, and are super crunchy, I doubt you'd like it. I grew up smoking pot, but got over it. That whole town is high for the most part. Huge homeless population, and run down buildings, at least in the downtown areas where I've gone.

Even though there is a lot more to do as far as events and way better shopping, I'd rather live where I am, which is even more remote. I'd never move to the Eureka area. And I'm pretty liberal. But, you literally smell pot everywhere you go. It is the main industry there - growing pot. It's a beautiful area, but just way too weird and remote, for me anyway.

Even though Davis is liberal and there are surely lots of pot smokers, the population there isn't too high to paint their houses or mow their yards. It's more yuppy, clean types of crunchy people in expensive bohemian clothing, as opposed to crunchy white dirty bohemians with dreadlocks.

Not sure if you get the difference. But, at least if you live in Davis, you're still connected enough to the rest of the world. Whereas, Eureka is so isolated, they've created their own idea of their own world.

I dunno if I've explained it well.

Also, the weather along the far north coast can be pretty severe in winter, with really high winds and sideways rain. It's cloudy enough up here, that part of your yearly blood tests include testing for Vitamin D because of the lack of sunshine. I ended up Vitamin D deficient and now take a hefty dose, which made all the difference.

But, the weather can be severe enough that it keeps you from doing things outside, even if the temps aren't that cold.

Anyway, of all of the places I can think of in northern CA, I think Davis would suit you best.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 01-08-2017 at 11:05 PM..

Old 01-08-2017, 11:03 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,756,929 times
What is HPS's?

Anyway, if you're considering the S.F. bay area that implies that you can afford rather high rents. Yes?

And if you're considering the S.F. bay area it also implies that you won't mind being in the hectic Silicon Valley scene and all that comes with it.

So, if those two things are true, consider the Monterey Bay area instead. I complain that Santa Cruz county has become very congested and is becoming more and more of a bedroom community of Silicon Valley. But this might not be an issue for you. If it is, consider Monterey County instead. Consider it instead anyway. It's less chaotic, less of a "scene", a bit more stayed but still happening enough and there are so many areas in both Monterey and Santa Cruz county where you can live immersed in nature (if that's what you want) but be very close to all the amenities.

In Monterey County look at Carmel (and Carmel Valley in particular will be much warmer and sunnier), Monterey and Pacific Grove. All 3 of those communities have, from what i've heard, good schools. Better in general than the schools in much of Santa Cruz county. If you consider S.C. county, there are all sorts of areas that would suit you though. And the schools in the county vary. All of the school knowledge that i have is, for the most part, what i've gleaned from reading posts on c-d-f over the years.

I'm still thinking that Monterey County would be better but i have a bit of attitude about S.C. county because of the impact of so many Silicon Valley people who have been coming in over the years. But the entire Monterey Bay area is still wonderful and if you can afford it and can find / create a nice haven for yourself in a beautiful part of coastal California you'll be fortunate.
In both counties lots of nature, parks, hiking, surfing, etc.. And beautiful weather. Way north like Eureka? I wouldn't unless you have a really strong feeling for it.

Last edited by blueskywalker; 01-08-2017 at 11:13 PM..

Old 01-08-2017, 11:22 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,685,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
What is HPS's?

Anyway, if you're considering the S.F. bay area that implies that you can afford rather high rents. Yes?

And if you're considering the S.F. bay area it also implies that you won't mind being in the hectic Silicon Valley scene and all that comes with it.

So, if those two things are true, consider the Monterey Bay area instead. I complain that Santa Cruz county has become very congested and is becoming more and more of a bedroom community of Silicon Valley. But this might not be an issue for you. If it is, consider Monterey County instead. Consider it instead anyway. It's less chaotic, less of a "scene", a bit more stayed but still happening enough and there are so many areas in both Monterey and Santa Cruz county where you can live immersed in nature (if that's what you want) but be very close to all the amenities.

In Monterey County look at Carmel (and Carmel Valley in particular will be much warmer and sunnier), Monterey and Pacific Grove. All 3 of those communities have, from what i've heard, good schools. Better in general than the schools in much of Santa Cruz county. If you consider S.C. county, there are all sorts of areas that would suit you though. And the schools in the county vary. All of the school knowledge that i have is, for the most part, what i've gleaned from reading posts on c-d-f over the years.

I'm still thinking that Monterey County would be better but i have a bit of attitude about S.C. county because of the impact of so many Silicon Valley people who have been coming in over the years. But the entire Monterey Bay area is still wonderful and if you can afford it and can find / create a nice haven for yourself in a beautiful part of coastal California you'll be fortunate.
In both counties lots of nature, parks, hiking, surfing, etc.. And beautiful weather. Way north like Eureka? I wouldn't unless you have a really strong feeling for it.
Excellent advice. Pacific Grove has great schools, and it's gorgeous. Foggier than Monterey, but lots of charm with Victorian architecture and lots of bike trails and parks and - the ocean!

City of Pacific Grove

And Carmel is amazing, with amazing schools:

http://www.carmelcalifornia.com/

Not sure how liberal either one is, but most counties vote democrat in CA, until you get farther away from the main urban areas.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:23 AM

72 posts, read 82,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzaleski View Post
Hi Everyone,

My family and I currently live in Southern California. We are mostly introverted, HSPs so living in a place that is busy with a high population density is not working out for us. We need to stay in California. Our preferences are as follows:

Must Haves:
Family Friendly (safe, other families to socialize with)
Good Schools
LOTS of nature/parks
Not too hot of weather (85 would be an ideal max, no min)
Friendly Neighbors
More on the remote side (but still within reach of modern conveniences such as groceries, Target, etc)

Nice to Haves:
Educated, Liberal people
Close to technology jobs (programmer...though I currently work from home, so that isn't an issue)

In my research (we've lived in 3 states so far) it's been tough to get all of the above. It seems like when you start getting more remote, you start to lose other factors (good schools, jobs, etc). Also, it seems like more liberal people tend to live near cities.

As of now, we are leaning towards the Arcata/Eureka area, but are also exploring the outskirts of San Francisco area.

Any suggestions/tips?

Thanks so much for your insight.
Hello rzaleski,

In Northern California I would recommend to look at Scotts Valley, Orinda/Lafayette, Novato (and the rest of Marin county on the west side of 101). NorCal will be 10-20% more expensive than SoCal BTW.

In addition, I would also take advantage of remote opportunity and look into buying a house in Boise, ID area (Eagle/Meridian). Superior quality of life, family-centric, good schools, affordable housing, small city, safe, super clean. There is HP, Micron, Intel, Marvell, etc. in the area. Perfect spot for remote living!

Old 01-09-2017, 10:10 AM

5 posts, read 10,722 times
We are looking into relocating to Chico. It's in north Ca but not sure if it meets your other must haves..

Old 01-09-2017, 01:56 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,813,685 times
Don't come here unless you have a job lined up.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:04 PM

764 posts, read 2,045,674 times
Sebastopol

Old 01-10-2017, 10:17 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,544,497 times
If you can afford it the Monterey Peninsula is sublime. Lived there for over ten years, but realized I'd never afford an 800K home so I moved inland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California