Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:46 AM

144 posts, read 197,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Davis.
I second this.... Davis is great city to live and raise a family in. A bit pricey though.... if that's an issue, I'd also recommend Woodland, just 7 miles down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 06:20 PM

114 posts, read 111,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzaleski View Post
Hi Everyone,

My family and I currently live in Southern California. We are mostly introverted, HSPs so living in a place that is busy with a high population density is not working out for us. We need to stay in California. Our preferences are as follows:

Must Haves:
Family Friendly (safe, other families to socialize with)
Good Schools
LOTS of nature/parks
Not too hot of weather (85 would be an ideal max, no min)
Friendly Neighbors
More on the remote side (but still within reach of modern conveniences such as groceries, Target, etc)

Nice to Haves:
Educated, Liberal people
Close to technology jobs (programmer...though I currently work from home, so that isn't an issue)

In my research (we've lived in 3 states so far) it's been tough to get all of the above. It seems like when you start getting more remote, you start to lose other factors (good schools, jobs, etc). Also, it seems like more liberal people tend to live near cities.

As of now, we are leaning towards the Arcata/Eureka area, but are also exploring the outskirts of San Francisco area.

Any suggestions/tips?

Thanks so much for your insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning coffee1 View Post
We are looking into relocating to Chico. It's in north Ca but not sure if it meets your other must haves..
I don't think Chico will tick everything off the list.

-Hotter than the OP wants (90+ degrees from late May/early June until early October)
-Educated, but it's only a somewhat liberal town in a very conservative region.
-Silicon valley is ~3hrs away or more, with the exception of a couple of small tech companies actually in Chico.
-The city park is big, but you have to drive a bit to find other stuff.

I'd look elsewhere.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:46 PM

787 posts, read 645,599 times
Amusing how people try and correlate educated people with being liberal...

Old 01-21-2017, 09:44 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,996,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Amusing how people try and correlate educated people with being liberal...
Perhaps because it's actually true?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-conservatives

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/15/o...o-liberal.html

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...-liberal-peers

Old 01-21-2017, 03:10 PM

787 posts, read 645,599 times
Except, it actually isn't.

Definitely not in the binary terms in the thread and in many ignorant people's minds, yours included.

In each of those articles is speaks of political stance as a spectrum, which is much more accurate than just two boxes, which is fair, because for people like me, for example, I have certain liberal views, but I am not "a liberal". Nor am I, a conservative. It depends on the topic at hand, the facts, and my feelings at the time.

Also, sentences like this destroy that argument:

"The evidence doesn’t show that exposure to higher education turns Republicans into Democrats, but it does seem to make people somewhat more cosmopolitan, more comfortable with social diversity, more tolerant of social difference"

Which is a long shot from saying "liberals are more educated than conservatives" as a blanket statement.

What you, and others are implying is that across the board conservatives are not only less educated but essentially less intelligent. It's false and insulting.

A person can have all the formal education in the world, ultimately he is going to align himself politically, and on certain topics, as he darn well pleases. Sure, there is a trend, and it's growing, but it's foolish and dangerous to walk around in life assuming the "smarter" people you meet are liberals, and vica versa. And really all it takes it one for the comment to be refuted. A sample size of one.

It comes down to two things, ignorance, and intolerance. and intolerance is especially laughable, because in the process of educating one's self, where one is exposed to critical thinking and societal issues otherwise not focused on, you would expect a person to be consistent in their growth of intelligence and knowledge. In the same way that MLK once asked, how can a man be considered intelligent and educated when he is a racist, I also ask, how can you call yourself an intelligent and educated person and yet be intolerant and a bigot?

As was immortalized on the infamous Bodybuilding.com misc section to communicate that both are not possible at the same time -

intelligent
bigot

pick one.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:55 PM

318 posts, read 338,199 times
the BEST suburbs are in northern California... here is a link https://local.niche.com/rankings/sub.../s/california/

depends on race also

If the SF bayarea is too much, you should look at the sacramento area its VERY underrated, has everything you listed but does get hot in summer, but cool in mornings and nights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California