Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:41 PM

787 posts, read 644,831 times

Advertisements

Californian here, bay area native, six figure salary plus benefits, living in utter poverty.

What's it like to have disposable income, to be able to go out on weekends, travel, save, and invest? What's it like owning affordable property? What's it like not living check to check?

As a Californian, and bay area resident, such things are pipe dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:50 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
I swear, when I was in the Bay Area working full time for minimum wage and living in my truck, I had more money to live on than half the residents in the Bay Area. My biggest expenses were for pre-made food and batteries. In fact, I'm seriously thinking that when I retire, I'm going to live in a vehicle again for a couple of years and try to save some more money. It's amazing how much you can save when you aren't paying rent or a mortgage there.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I swear, when I was in the Bay Area working full time for minimum wage and living in my truck, I had more money to live on than half the residents in the Bay Area. My biggest expenses were for pre-made food and batteries. In fact, I'm seriously thinking that when I retire, I'm going to live in a vehicle again for a couple of years and try to save some more money. It's amazing how much you can save when you aren't paying rent or a mortgage there.
I actually was very seriously considering this in 2016, but it would actually be more expense heavy on my up front. If I already had a camper, van, SUV type vehicle to live out of, it would have been a no brainer for me, but I have a two door sports car I refuse to get rid of. I'll just move before I do that, out of state or anywhere, but if I had a livable vehicle, I would be all for it. No rent? Dream worthy. 2k right back into my pocket every month.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:06 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Californian here, bay area native, six figure salary plus benefits, living in utter poverty.

What's it like to have disposable income, to be able to go out on weekends, travel, save, and invest? What's it like owning affordable property? What's it like not living check to check?

As a Californian, and bay area resident, such things are pipe dreams.
Six figure income, plus and with benefits??? Living in poverty? Sounds like someone who lived high on the hog, racked up a ton of debt, lived above their means for too long and now are paying the price. Tons of people do just fine on an income of a $100k in the Bay Area. Sorry that you screwed up. Then in the above post you allude to paying $2000 a month for rent...puleeese

(Troll alert!)

Old 01-30-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Six figure income, plus and with benefits??? Living in poverty? Sounds like someone who lived high on the hog, racked up a ton of debt, lived above their means for too long and now are paying the price. Tons of people do just fine on an income of a $100k in the Bay Area. Sorry that you screwed up. Then in the above post you allude to paying $2000 a month for rent...puleeese

(Troll alert!)
I am actually not drowning in debt nor living outside my means, my total debt is around 10k (student loans) and dropping, and yes my rent is 2k for my 1 bedroom. How is that trolling? lol.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:21 PM

8,216 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Without knowing the details of your situation, it sounds like you need a change based on what you've described. Nothing wrong with that! If you are a Bay Area native and stuck in the hamster wheel rut, break free and go explore other parts of our nation. In fact, you may be surprised to find that a decent QOL can be found within other parts of the state itself not as crazy expensive.

We moved to CO for a season before moving back to back to CA along the Central coast. It was a good experience living somewhere else for a while. You will learn a lot about yourself as well as different sub cultures within America. It helps to crystallize what is really important to you. That could easily include home ownership in many parts. Just keep in mind that quality of life cannot be measured by someone else's standard or dream. For some its living in a shack along the coast while for others its living in a huge house in the Midwest. And there are many other variations. Also remember the grass is always greener until actually living in a seemingly desirable location. No place is perfect and each come with their own set of unique pros/cons. Most of which you will only really discover after making the move. Visiting can only go so far in terms of revealing what it is like to live somewhere else.

All that said, its still worth exploring other places. Just do your homework as well as some real soul searching before making the move. At the end of a long day what do you really look forward to? What climates can you live with or at least think you can? Are you willing to live hundreds of miles from a coast or the mountains? Do you like cowboy cultures? Are you ok living in a conservative area? Do you like international cuisine? Hillbillies? What about multiculturalism? What will you do if/when its snowing outside? Etc...

Regarding work, how mobile is your career? I know some who live in and around the Bay area end up telecommuting. That can be a real financial win if you transfer your Bay area salary to a lower cost region. Just keep in mind that taking a lower paying job can offset the anticipated savings if moving to a low wage location.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-30-2017 at 08:32 PM..

Old 01-30-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:

(Troll alert!)
Dude, where have you been? $2000/month for rent in the Bay Area is chicken feed. Many people are paying more than that. The tons of people who do just fine on $100,000 a year are the ones who bought their houses in the 80s and early 90s or before.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:28 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Dude, where have you been? $2000/month for rent in the Bay Area is chicken feed. Many people are paying more than that. The tons of people who do just fine on $100,000 a year are the ones who bought their houses in the 80s and early 90s or before.
The OP confirmed he/she does indeed pay $2000 a month for rent. I am just relying on facts.

Quote:
I am actually not drowning in debt nor living outside my means, my total debt is around 10k (student loans) and dropping, and yes my rent is 2k for my 1 bedroom. How is that trolling? lol.
So my question is: if your rent is less than 20% of your income how is it that you can't afford anything and perceive yourself in poverty?

Old 01-30-2017, 08:36 PM

8,216 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Quote:
The OP confirmed he/she does indeed pay $2000 a month for rent. I am just relying on facts.

So my question is: if your rent is less than 20% of your income how is it that you can't afford anything and perceive yourself in poverty?
Good question. Maybe lots of fun toys or poor money management?

Old 01-30-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I actually was very seriously considering this in 2016, but it would actually be more expense heavy on my up front. If I already had a camper, van, SUV type vehicle to live out of, it would have been a no brainer for me, but I have a two door sports car I refuse to get rid of. I'll just move before I do that, out of state or anywhere, but if I had a livable vehicle, I would be all for it. No rent? Dream worthy. 2k right back into my pocket every month.
If and when I get approved for disability, I may get a large back check. If that happens (before I retire), I plan to try to buy some land somewhere and since that's all I could afford, I'm planning on living in my car on that land until I can save enough to put a (very, very) tiny house on the land. This is all up in the air, of course, and there's a whole long list of things that could go wrong, but I'm willing to take it as far as I can. The best thing about this is I'd have a safe place to park at night, I can put a small shed on the land to store my stuff, and I can start a garden, although I'd have to have a lot of help with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California