Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times

Advertisements

Jury duty is part of our American Justice System...

I've met many people that have never been called to jury duty and yet... I get a notice about every 11 months

Each time, I show up and wait... and then get sent to a court room... so far I've never been selected to be on a Jury... I'm always thanked and asked to leave...

Seems strange to called so many times and not have the opportunity to be a juror...

My employer does not reimburse for jury duty and employees either use vacation time or just take unpaid leave...

Just wondering if anyone else gets called every year and has yet to serve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 08:57 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,759,649 times
I've yet to get an invite/summons/whatever since I moved counties 3 years ago. Used to get them every year. Never heard of an employer not paying while you're on jury duty though. That would seem an easy way to get a hardship exemption.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
I get called every couple of years it seems. We have a system here where you call in every evening for a week to find out if you have to go in the next day. I've been able to get excused because I'm a one person company and such a system would make it impossible for me to schedule work and would effectively cost me much more money than the time actually spent in the courthouse if I had to go in.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
Moved here (Fontana) in August of 04. I got a summons in Dec of 05 and one in Jan of 07. Nothing since. One was for Fontana Municipal and the other was for Superior Court in San Bernardino. Fontana canceled me the night before and Superior made me sit around but didn't assign me to a trial.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Same system... you call in after 5pm the night before... 5 out of the last 6 times I was instructed to report

If you're self employed I think it might be little easier...

The only place I've ever worked that payed for jury duty was my one and only Union job... they had a system where the employee turned in the compensation received for serving in exchange for regular pay...

I wonder why the defense attorney always has me dismissed... the last time they asked if I would have any trouble serving for an estimated 3 day trail and I said that I was looking forward to it... and that was all it took... dismissed.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:02 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,291,663 times
I moved 3 times in about 1½ yrs in Jersey and changed from essex to bergen, tnen back to essex. Everytime I moved I got summoned. Then I moved out of start and got summoned the first year.
I think it was because I kept re-registering to vote.
Each time though, I had to call the night before to see if I had to report. Several time I did.
But my employer did pay for time served and once it was a 2 week case.
I actually found it facinating.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
I have heard it said "jury duty is for those too stupid to get out of it". No insult intended.

I consulted with a attorney about jury duty, he said the court has the burden of proof, proving you received the summons. When you mail in the card or call to see if you are called - you have just freely given them the receipt.

I am in construction, we never receive jury duty pay. A x-girlfriend used to love going as she received full pay from the hospital she worked in.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:52 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
I've gotten it twice in the last five years--but both times I didnt have to report. Just got off.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:01 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,178 times
Dude, I totally feel your pain. I got called 16 times in one 18 year stretch while I was living in Orange County, including twice when I was overseas (was having all my mail delivered to my parents place during those times; of course, I didn't respond to those *lol). I have been called four more times in nine years in Washington state, including once when I was living overseas.

This is a total abuse of the public.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:02 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I've yet to get an invite/summons/whatever since I moved counties 3 years ago. Used to get them every year. Never heard of an employer not paying while you're on jury duty though. That would seem an easy way to get a hardship exemption.
You're wrong. Almost none of my employers paid me during the time I was on jury duty and they don't take economic hardship as an excuse to be exempted from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California