Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 10:07 PM

4 posts, read 13,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
A scene from an old Robert Redford movie, The Candidate, was filmed in Tracy back in '72. It was a scene when Redford's character was out on the campaign trail; a parade. He was riding in a car, waving to the crowd. A few people - I guess they were supposed to be supporters - ran up to his car to shake his hand. Two of them in the crowd were friends of mine from high school. The parade was filmed using our local high school's Homecoming Parade in '72.

And, how could I forget American Graffiti? Filmed in '72 all over the bay area; San Francisco, San Rafael, Concord, Pinole, Berkeley but the iconic cruising scenes were filmed in Petaluma.
Almost all the cruising was done on 3rd St in San Rafael and Petaluma Blvd/E. Washington St in Petaluma. The vacant lot of the police car caper is still a vacant lot/parking lot on Petaluma Blvd S near Western Ave. Milner's big race at the end was filmed on Frates Rd just east of Petaluma between Ely Rd and Adobe Rd.

You can add to the Petaluma list:
Basic Instinct
Peggy Sue got Married
Heroes (1977)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 01:55 PM

19,218 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman9096 View Post
Almost all the cruising was done on 3rd St in San Rafael and Petaluma Blvd/E. Washington St in Petaluma. The vacant lot of the police car caper is still a vacant lot/parking lot on Petaluma Blvd S near Western Ave. Milner's big race at the end was filmed on Frates Rd just east of Petaluma between Ely Rd and Adobe Rd.

You can add to the Petaluma list:
Basic Instinct
Peggy Sue got Married
Heroes (1977)
Interesting trivia, junkman. I didn't realize the other movies you listed were also filmed in Petaluma. Looks as though Petaluma was quite a popular place for making movies.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:36 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
When I was a college student in the 70's, I lived for awhile in downtown Long Beach. There were a lot of cool, deco-style buildings there that were 1920's-1930s era; a lot of movies, TV shows & commercials did atmosphere shots there. I saw Ryan O'Neal doing night shooting, & Robert Blake was there a lot for his "Beretta" TV show. Security wasn't tight, so cast & crew would talk to onlookers, but there was a level of politeness & respect...no one was shoving smartphones into their faces.

I also worked at the Federal Bldg. on Wilshire in West LA. The building had a long entryway & courtyard where outdoor scenes for TV shows were shot, & there were even scenes done in the lobby...with all the necessary security now, I doubt that happens anymore. I remember seeing Darren McGavin & Farrah Fawcett; there were lots more, just can't remember right now. It was a regular, normal occurrence.

Then there is Vasquez Rocks, north of LA. Lots of TV shows & western movies were & are still shot there...I think some Star Trek episodes have scenes from there.
After a nice fight with an alien, Captain Kirk would smooch a green chick there.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:46 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
The HAROLD and MAUDE Homepage

Harold & Maude is an old fave of mine.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:01 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
For you Western movie buffs, the Lone Pine Film Festival is taking place next weekend, Oct. 6-8!
http://www.lonepinefilmfestival.org/

Bruce Boxleitner, Diane Farnsworth, and Ben Mankiewicz are going to be there, among other guests. I've been to the festival a number of times over the years. It is a lot of fun, and very well organized, with tours and temporary plaques placed in significant movie locations in the Alabama Hills. But if you already have a good grasp of location hunting, you may want to come back at a later time when the town and the hills have grown quiet again, and do your own self-guided tours.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:34 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
So many!! But you might not know that my college campus, University of the Pacific in Stockton, was used in a few movies - most notably Dead Man on Campus (1998), Flubber (1997), and three of the Indiana Jones films (scenes where he's researching?). And while it isn't credited as such, they did film at least one scene from Dead Poet's Society there too. I know for sure, since I've stood in the very spot where Robin Williams did!

FYI: The reason it's a popular college-film location is because it looks like an East Coast school, but is in California - so the actors and crew can get there from L.A. more easily. It DOES appear to be in New England, when you see pictures.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California