Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,019 times

Advertisements

I have looked around on this site, and I have scoured the Internet for the past month. I have gathered some quite useful information, however at the moment I am in an honestly horrible situation.I am living in Atascadero, Ca. I've been trying to leave for quite a while now, money is the biggest issue. I'm a 31 year old woman. I have suffered with a severe chronic health condition for the past three+ years, I am in constant agony. (I've always had health issues, long story but I've had to be on SSI for a while because of it. I sadly just cannot work at this time). Thus, I have been living in the only place I can afford, a low-cost subsidized apartment complex overrun with insane methheads, and just insane people period...The area in general is full of people who want to hurt me just for being sick, and also eccentric. I worked with the wrong people before my conditions got worse, and now I can't go anywhere without running into them in some way. Naturally I'm getting worse here.

I cannot go back to another subsidized housing situation. I've seen enough of these, and their rules, which only serve to make everything worse.

So a neighbor I've known a while, one of the few who isn't like the others - he and I have decided to be room-mates and find somewhere to go that is more suited to our needs and away from this nonsense, that I can finally heal properly and get my quality of life back. My health problems are not something people really want to be around, so it's very difficult finding anyone at all who would want to rent a place with me right now. We can only afford a place together that is about $800-$850 max so long as we are in California. I play music, and I have been trying to finish my ideas for years. I really can't unless I can play my instruments in a studio setting (something I cannot afford but I can set up in a house in a garage, which was the plan). Having a garage is essential. I realize that might seem a bit much considering what I am trying to get out of, however, this is my life's work...I really have to make my music. I was a fool in the past, I had no idea what I had, and part of my work was stolen and rehashed, and actually recorded by former bandmates. (I had a very rotten deal in life). I must finish my material once and for all. So I really do need to find a place with a garage that I can soundproof. In California, with these limitations, I realize that's a bit mental.

I originally thought we could relocate and keep the SSI. I'm already having a hard time making due on that! It's not enough as it is, even with the reduced housing cost here. I have since learned the other states cut it way back, (I'd be lucky to be getting $630 per month, as regular income. The other states don't contribute like California (and the only other state to, New York). Obviously I can't live on that kind of money. That is not a valid option, as it's nuts!

So unfortunately I have to stay here. Where does this leave us to go?

Our options are:

- $400 each - $800 per month as a shared living space
- Clean air (health problems worsen in polluted areas)
- Relatively safe (I am poor but have expensive and rare items and instruments that I really don't want being stolen). Also in bad health I have to be careful.
- Garage, basement, or a spot in the home/property where I can soundproof and record my music (with full drum set, keyboards, guitars, etc).

If anyone can offer some suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 11:06 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoweclipse View Post
I have looked around on this site, and I have scoured the Internet for the past month. I have gathered some quite useful information, however at the moment I am in an honestly horrible situation.I am living in Atascadero, Ca. I've been trying to leave for quite a while now, money is the biggest issue. I'm a 31 year old woman. I have suffered with a severe chronic health condition for the past three+ years, I am in constant agony. (I've always had health issues, long story but I've had to be on SSI for a while because of it. I sadly just cannot work at this time). Thus, I have been living in the only place I can afford, a low-cost subsidized apartment complex overrun with insane methheads, and just insane people period...The area in general is full of people who want to hurt me just for being sick, and also eccentric. I worked with the wrong people before my conditions got worse, and now I can't go anywhere without running into them in some way. Naturally I'm getting worse here.

I cannot go back to another subsidized housing situation. I've seen enough of these, and their rules, which only serve to make everything worse.

So a neighbor I've known a while, one of the few who isn't like the others - he and I have decided to be room-mates and find somewhere to go that is more suited to our needs and away from this nonsense, that I can finally heal properly and get my quality of life back. My health problems are not something people really want to be around, so it's very difficult finding anyone at all who would want to rent a place with me right now. We can only afford a place together that is about $800-$850 max so long as we are in California. I play music, and I have been trying to finish my ideas for years. I really can't unless I can play my instruments in a studio setting (something I cannot afford but I can set up in a house in a garage, which was the plan). Having a garage is essential. I realize that might seem a bit much considering what I am trying to get out of, however, this is my life's work...I really have to make my music. I was a fool in the past, I had no idea what I had, and part of my work was stolen and rehashed, and actually recorded by former bandmates. (I had a very rotten deal in life). I must finish my material once and for all. So I really do need to find a place with a garage that I can soundproof. In California, with these limitations, I realize that's a bit mental.

I originally thought we could relocate and keep the SSI. I'm already having a hard time making due on that! It's not enough as it is, even with the reduced housing cost here. I have since learned the other states cut it way back, (I'd be lucky to be getting $630 per month, as regular income. The other states don't contribute like California (and the only other state to, New York). Obviously I can't live on that kind of money. That is not a valid option, as it's nuts!

So unfortunately I have to stay here. Where does this leave us to go?

Our options are:

- Relatively safe (I am poor but have expensive and rare items and instruments that I really don't want being stolen). Also in bad health I have to be careful.
- Garage, basement, or a spot in the home/property where I can soundproof and record my music (with full drum set, keyboards, guitars, etc).

What you're asking for is far fetched and pretty much impossible within 100 miles of any major metro. Your best bet is either the high desert or something far north of Sacramento.

Your general strategy should be to look in areas where there is very little employment or jobs since you have the "advantage" of having public assistance.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:17 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,415,814 times
Quote:

Our options are:

These are your two problems and very difficult to find in CA Cost is a problem unless you live in the middle of nowhere and clean air is about impossible to find. An aid can be:

airnow.gov

and put in your zip code and it will let you know each day what it is like.

Also:

http://www.city-data.com/

And put in a city and scroll way down and you generally will see an overall idea of the air quality.

Example:Atascedero, CA

Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 81.8. This is about average.
City:81.8U.S.:74.7

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Atasca...#ixzz4joG9XVGZ

Generally you want a number below 50 for good air and even at that level it is marginal if you have problems.

The balance of the information for any city on the site will also be helpful.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,019 times
I know it sounds ridiculous. I realize that my needs are great at this moment, and that they exceed in many ways what is possible. Thanks for the suggestion, CaliRestoration, I will try to look more in that area. I narrowed it to that as well based on my searching. Not sure how that was meant, but there is nothing, absolutely nothing advantageous about living this way. I was born into this situation, unfortunately, it's quite intense, and I have had rotten luck my whole life as a result. Now with this horrible condition I'm trying to find some way out of this while I am still alive.

Unless we can find a third person to share with us, or by some miracle someone has something unadvertised and unusually good.

expatCA, Thanks for providing the links to the air quality, I did in fact look into that before posting here and you are right about those points as well, I just don't know what to do. I'm exhausted from searching, and I can't think of anywhere else.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:14 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,955 times
Quote:
I know it sounds ridiculous. I realize that my needs are great at this moment, and that they exceed in many ways what is possible. Thanks for the suggestion, CaliRestoration, I will try to look more in that area. I narrowed it to that as well based on my searching. Not sure how that was meant, but there is nothing, absolutely nothing advantageous about living this way. I was born into this situation, unfortunately, it's quite intense, and I have had rotten luck my whole life as a result. Now with this horrible condition I'm trying to find some way out of this while I am still alive.
I've donated tens of thousands of dollars to organizations that help homeless, low-income, and chronically ill. I don't know what your situation is, but I would say out of 10 cases I've encountered, at least 8 of them are self inflicted pain.

You should look at your life and see if there is anything you can do yourself to help your situation IMO.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:33 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,516,539 times
I've heard that a lot people move to Mt. Shasta (town) that have sensitivities to pollutants. Clean air, clean water. You would be able to afford an apartment there on your current budget. The downside is proximity to hospitals/doctors and its very cold in the winter. Another option in my county is Paradise. Its a safe, quiet town with a good hospital. Lots of retirees so a fair number of reasonable accommodation. Not terribly far from Sacramento and close to Chico (less than 30 minutes). Think its a little less than 2,000 feet elevation and the air seems clean enough (save for when there's a nearby wildfire).

Old 06-14-2017, 07:30 PM

10,353 posts, read 8,581,497 times
How is it you can't work but can play the drums, keyboards, and guitar?

Old 06-14-2017, 08:28 PM

266 posts, read 334,779 times
Minnesota has good air and cheap rent.
Lots of benedits , too. Its why there's so many refugees there!

Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 PM

266 posts, read 334,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
How is it you can't work but can play the drums, keyboards, and guitar?
Probably just a cover story.
Op is likely a parolee or some type of street pharmacist.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:09 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
All states have to pay the federal minimum in SSI, $735 a month. In California you receive a supplement so your check is $895.72 but you can't get SNAP benefits. All but 5 or 6 states have a supplement but some are as low as $10. You would have to check online for the supplement of a particular state.

It might be in your best interest to stay where you are and complain to the manager until they clean up the place you are renting. Subsidized housing is hard to get you may very well end up regretting moving out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California