Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2020, 04:49 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,381,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You should be a salad chef at Taco Bell ... what you do with words goes well with indigestible fast food. And completely misses the point I made. The 1%, the 5%, the 20% don’t NEED any breaks ... and feeding them while starving the plebeian masses starves the system you love.
The bottom nearly 50% pays no tax - it is hard to reduce taxes to someone that is already at zero. You are not "starving the plebian masses" by giving tax cuts to those that create the jobs.

Just to note also, anyone above about bottom 30% in the US is in the top 1% worldwide ($32k). I bet many didn't know that they are technically the 1%, those that they often criticize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 07:30 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,990,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
The bottom nearly 50% pays no tax - it is hard to reduce taxes to someone that is already at zero. You are not "starving the plebian masses" by giving tax cuts to those that create the jobs.

Just to note also, anyone above about bottom 30% in the US is in the top 1% worldwide ($32k). I bet many didn't know that they are technically the 1%, those that they often criticize.
Wrecked.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
uh huh..and what did you have to call a "welfare program" to come up with that number, medicare and Social Security?
Two of the biggest failed welfare programs in history.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Isn't it past your bedtime in Dallas?
What a valid contribution to a discussion about tax policy.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:13 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Only until you start qualifying for both, right?

Quote:
What a valid contribution to a discussion about tax policy.
Thank you!

Old 02-13-2020, 08:20 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post

A large number of them don't pay income tax but that is just one tax, you conveniently overlook payroll taxes & state and local taxes There are billionaires who pay no income tax too but my guess is that you admire them.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:21 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Tell that to people who worked all their lives with no pension plan and rely on SS to pay the rent and buy food

Last edited by 2sleepy; 02-13-2020 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-13-2020, 08:23 AM

456 posts, read 240,163 times
Quote:
A large number of them don't pay income tax but that is just one tax, you conveniently overlook payroll taxes & state and local taxes There are billionaires who pay no income tax too but my guess is that you admire them.
This is true and I almost posted it. A couple things about the other post. There are some flaws in saying that 50% pay no federal income tax (not tax because as you pointed out there are other taxes). Many of those shouldn't pay tax as they earn no income, etc. There are a certain % that earn and pay no income tax however but it isn't 50%. I believe Tulemutt posted an article regarding that a few months ago. Having said that the bottom 80% pay an average of about $2000 (as shown by my figures posted) and yet their share based on what is spent is around $30,000 per year as is my share, your share and the other 141 million tax payers share. Some of that $30,000 is paid for with payroll taxes, etc but they don't come close to covering their fair share.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Only until you start qualifying for both, right?
I've been fortunate enough in my life to not need either one, ever.

Quote:
Thank you!
I'm glad you see that as a compliment. Enjoy it.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Tell that to people who worked all their lives with no pension plan and rely on SS to pay the rent and buy food
There are some people whom I think probably need that type of welfare (injured, genetic disability, etc).

But for the majority of people, if you lived 62 years of life and never invested into your future or retirement, I have little sympathy.

I know 30 year olds (I'm part of an angel investor group in California still even though I do not claim residency in the state) who have a nearly 7 digit large investment eggs by just making smart, SUPER simple, moves. Literally saving, investing, and realigning. That's it. None of these guys are "Harvard grads" (well one is, but that's not why he's rich), and none of them came from "Rockerfeller" families.

There are people on welfare right now rocking iPhone 11 Pros. The system is being abused, and it's extremely broken. US Welfare programs have never reduced poverty, ever, in fact they've probably exacerbated it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California