Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 01:42 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times

Advertisements

The population is exploding here in the Northern corridor which includes Pasadena, Eagle Rock, Glendale, and Burbank. It's like the population increased 10x's in the last 5 years. In our area expensive high rise apt's and condos are building built on every other block. Traffic is bumper to bumper at rush hours as people flood down numerous streets leading to the freeways. In one area it can take 20 minutes just to traverse 2 blocks to get to the freeway onramp. In a one-mile radius around central Glendale there are 25 projects just finished or currently being built. Each one has to have at least 100+ units. It's bonkers.

At the same time I read in the Idaho forum that Boise's housing prices are exploding and people cannot find apt's/houses because there's so much competition. One person commented it's because people from California flush with cash from selling their shacks for 1 million are moving out of So Cal into cheaper neighborhoods and I believe it.

Is there a mass exodus from the east to the west going on right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 01:57 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Older, fed up, or priced out native Californians are moving elsewhere. Thanks to our lax immigration policy, they are quickly replaced by foreigners from China, India, Armenia, etc., and of course Mexico. I know of many ladies who married Americans to become citizens so they can bring their parents here. That number is relatively small compared to illegal immigration from Mexico though.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Primarily immigrants. Los Angeles continues to lose its domestic population to other states.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:57 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,286,736 times
I have noticed as this as well. People come from other states, they have job offers and that dream of living it big in CA. Give them a year or two until they're complaining about the high COL. This is purely anecdotal of course.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:15 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Sylmar too, They are building big apartments or townhouses between Foothill and the 210. Run down houses get fixed up and flipped. every vacant lot or open space has been built on. The main road to the freeway on ramp is now crowded especially on Friday night

Old 10-14-2017, 03:22 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
I lived in Pasadena for the last three years, and Eagle Rock for a year before that.

No, I have NOT noticed anything like what you are talking about. There is no population explosion. I guess there has been a slight worsening of traffic and a little picking up in new construction, as one might expect in an economic recovery which begun since the great recession.

Any cursory glance at statistics show that population growth has been plateauing/growing little compared to other states, largely due to the cost of living/housing everyone talks about. And even the US population growth rate has slowed down overall.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:05 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I lived in Pasadena for the last three years, and Eagle Rock for a year before that.

No, I have NOT noticed anything like what you are talking about. There is no population explosion. I guess there has been a slight worsening of traffic and a little picking up in new construction, as one might expect in an economic recovery which begun since the great recession.

Any cursory glance at statistics show that population growth has been plateauing/growing little compared to other states, largely due to the cost of living/housing everyone talks about. And even the US population growth rate has slowed down overall.
Come to Glendale and drive up Central and Orange just south of the 134. In a 5 block stretch you will see 15 new projects. One intersection, Central and Doran has three new ones on each corner, the fourth corner is a Burger King. There's a new project being built behind these as well. It all started about 5 years ago and hasn't stopped.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:10 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheinhardt View Post
So if socal housing is so expensive and rents are skyrocketing why would poor illegals want to move here instead of some place cheap like AZ?

Also, hate to burst your theory but net migration from Mexico to the US is now negative. Whats actually happening is rich foreigners and wealthy people from other states/yuppies are moving to CA.
Yuppies and rich foreigners are scum.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:17 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheinhardt View Post
Yuppies and rich foreigners bring capital to the state. Too bad some losers stay in the state and leach off their parents or the government instead of leaving like they should.
I also bring equity, hundreds of thousands and im part of California's natural culture which is healthier for society.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:48 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I also bring equity, hundreds of thousands and im part of California's natural culture which is healthier for society.
White people were part of the "natural culture" here and you seem to dislike them.

As for yuppies and rich foreigners being scum, might it so in your mind because they want the same thing that you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California