Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 02:36 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
All because of Hollywood and Silicon Valley. A major faultline runs through (or close to) both places and once it goes off, well bye-bye to the sixth largest economy in the world.
I think this posting is very telling........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The growth is due to foreign immigration and the birth rate, not people moving in from other States.
Depending on the source and the methodology used, who is moving in and who is moving out does vary some. Personally, I think a fair number have moved out in the more moderate income levels.....that is not to say it's been a mass exodus. I do think the state has attracted those from other states who have education & skills to make a go of it in what is seen by most as a desirable area of the state.....in most cases that is the coastal strip (excluding the north coast) I would agree that the state has attracted those from other counties, including those with money to invest.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:17 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Well I for one hope that earthquake never comes. It has to the potential to be devasting and costly in economy and lives.
When I lived in Ca we all knew it was coming, but no one seemed to concerned because the high damage ones were so infrequent.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Depending on the source and the methodology used, who is moving in and who is moving out does vary some. Personally, I think a fair number have moved out in the more moderate income levels.....that is not to say it's been a mass exodus. I do think the state has attracted those from other states who have education & skills to make a go of it in what is seen by most as a desirable area of the state.....in most cases that is the coastal strip (excluding the north coast) I would agree that the state has attracted those from other counties, including those with money to invest.
I agree. I think Ca is such a leader that it kind of sets the bar for people to see how they measure up. Others come just to build resume points and maybe eventually go back home after a while.
California while it has it's problems is still a state of mind and lifestyle that people dream of.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:24 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
True it is not a mass exodus, but it shows that many do not want to live in CA anymore and fewer want to in other States. The primary problem is it is leading to a Rich?poor State which is never good. It isn't even education level in total but there simply are not enough jobs even for those with degrees and the Gov't issuing a LOT of work visas in the medical and tech sector is keeping many with degrees from holding such jobs. It isn't low middle class leaving either. They may make up a lot of them, but remember that in other States their salary is solid middle class. Many problems including excessive taxation and poor spending on the State level and favoritism to illegals and ... the list is quite long and for many weather starts to become far less important. I love the State but will not be moving back, and I can afford it.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I agree. I think Ca is such a leader that it kind of sets the bar for people to see how they measure up. Others come just to build resume points and maybe eventually go back home after a while.
California while it has it's problems is still a state of mind and lifestyle that people dream of.
But as most people know, dreams are rarely true, when reality sets in.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:35 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,359,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why are people living here? Why are people paying premium prices for housing in the coastal urban areas? (Not the price case in the area where I live)

I see a lot of people saying California sucks. If that were the case, people would be leaving the state in droves (what is a drove BTWj and talent and money would be going to Texas. Then housing prices would drop. Yet here we are, the sixth largest economy in the world with coastal urban housing prices that are a bargain compared to Paris, London, Berlin, Hong Kong and Singapore. Now why is that? I mean a hot area to live, yet cheaper than other great international spots.

Could it be that CA is actually a great place to live? Sorry haters.

Bargain compared to those Global Cities which are Country Capitals for the most part. But what you don't say is that domestic in-migration for the first time ever was outpaced by domestic OUT-migration to California beginning with the 2000 Census. Same thing with NYC. If not for foreigners moving in, NYC would have lost population due to AMERICANS moving away.

And coincidentally, Californians ARE moving to Texas:
The Place to Be: A Look at Companies Moving to Texas | HT Group

This Place Sure Has Changed: Which Cities Have Changed the Most? - MagnifyMoney
You'll notice in this link the THREE TOP METRO areas mentioned are all in Texas.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
True it is not a mass exodus, but it shows that many do not want to live in CA anymore and fewer want to in other States. The primary problem is it is leading to a Rich?poor State which is never good. It isn't even education level in total but there simply are not enough jobs even for those with degrees and the Gov't issuing a LOT of work visas in the medical and tech sector is keeping many with degrees from holding such jobs. It isn't low middle class leaving either. They may make up a lot of them, but remember that in other States their salary is solid middle class. Many problems including excessive taxation and poor spending on the State level and favoritism to illegals and ... the list is quite long and for many weather starts to become far less important. I love the State but will not be moving back, and I can afford it.
Just read another luxury clothier/goods store just opened in SF....a men's suit will cost you $10,000. Same city where dinner for two, with "wine paring", can set you back $1k in at least one restaurant.
As I already mentioned, I would like to see some policies that spur some business & economic growth in the other California....such as the San Joaquin Valley.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
But as most people know, dreams are rarely true, when reality sets in.
Well I won't say that it is the impossible dream but more like a difficult dream. Some people do make it though.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Well I won't say that it is the impossible dream but more like a difficult dream. Some people do make it though.
True, but with good paying jobs now. Did not used to be that way, but ... it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California