Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 12:28 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times

Advertisements

Trump threatens to pull ICE out of California over sanctuary policy

Seems contrary to stepped up enforcement announcement.

ICE is increasing presence in California because of 'sanctuary state' law, says Trump immigration chief

Governor Brown tells President to do his job...

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/arti...s-12644156.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 09:06 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,704,338 times
Cool, let's all stop paying federal taxes then. California funds the Federal Government, unlike those "welfare states" like Indiana, Texas, and Florida, who need government handouts and drive the deficit.

Our state government is in the black. We pay $1.50 in federal taxes for every $1.00 in federal money that flows in. They can stop their unwanted services, and we can pay our own way much cheaper. Good luck to them and their exploding debt.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:27 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Cool, let's all stop paying federal taxes then. California funds the Federal Government, unlike those "welfare states" like Indiana, Texas, and Florida, who need government handouts and drive the deficit.

Our state government is in the black. We pay $1.50 in federal taxes for every $1.00 in federal money that flows in. They can stop their unwanted services, and we can pay our own way much cheaper. Good luck to them and their exploding debt.
The Feds do and pay for a lot more here then just ICE. Ca better stop poking the bear.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:49 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
The Feds do and pay for a lot more here then just ICE. Ca better stop poking the bear.
But wac's point is that California pays for more than it receives in total. It's true and has been true for a very long time. More dollars flow out of Californians' pockets into the federal treasury than the total of all federal spending in the state. So if Chump wants a financial / services war with California selectively he'll theoretically damage the nation more than California.

But then he's not the brightest bulb in the sockets.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:54 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,446 times
Trump says CA will be begging to have ICE return to CA if he pulls them out. He must be out of his mind?

Old 02-23-2018, 10:43 AM

I would dismiss as posturing but not much surprises me anymore.

Being the first to admit I am not politically astute it does seem that President Trump seems to confound opponents often and doubt he worries much about being politically correct... some might say he thrives when being incorrect.

What got me thinking is having attended Oakland City Council meetings that would go on to the early morning hours... many speakers have said they applaud standing up to Washington policies and it might not be a stretch to say that includes ICE leaving... but, then we have the airport and and such... so not sure just how far each camp is willing to take it.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:50 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Meanwhile, back at the stupid posturing ranch:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/cali...on-audits.html

Old 02-23-2018, 11:45 AM

Speaking of the ranch...

I have a friend that is a California Rancher... he is actually a Doctor but his wife runs the ranch.

He has two permanent ranch hands... both from Mexico... I have met them... very hard working and capable and they love living at the ranch.

Anyway... not too far away is a retired UC Berkeley Professor that contracted work around their place with the ranch hands... my friend told them to be careful because they are not nice people... always complaining about cows and such.

Anyway Pedro and Jose did a lot of work for $10 an hour and were to be paid when done... about $1100

They kept asking for their money and the last time the son said if you come back they were going to be reported to ICE... well they are both legal... Doc wouldn't have it any other way.

They went back and were told they were trespassing and sure enough about a week later the Black SUVs with men in vests and military style drive onto the ranch and block the road just as Doc was pulling up...

He asks what the Hell is going on... told to stand down and demands an answer... old Military Doc..

They said they would be happy to arrest him... so he calls his wife who says they have Jose and Pedro restrained and were taking them in...

Doc tells his wife to go to the office and make copies of Jose and Pedro's documents and ask to speak to the person in charge.....

It was a couple of wasted tense hours as calls were made and pictures of the documents... meanwhile the rural ranch road is blocked and neighbors start calling... I guess ranchers stick together.

In the end... Jose and Pedro are released with a warning that if something doesn't check out they will be back.

Doc pays by check with withholding and again they are legal... with workers compensation insurance, etc.

All this drama because a University Elite wants to stiff two men for wages earned doing hard physical labor.

Last I heard Doc was helping the men sue the professor and filed wage claims, labor law violations, etc...

Doc does things by the book but is not someone you want to mess with... I could see a scenario where things could have gone South quite easily.

Can only imagine had Jose and Pedro not had someone like Doc with the where withal to take charge... and it was not so much as blaming ICE as it was people using ICE to cheat people.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-23-2018 at 12:03 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 12:31 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

Have you seen California's unpaid liabilities?

California making fun of the national debt is like one fat kid making fun of another fat kid for not being skinny.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:14 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,289,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Speaking of the ranch...

I have a friend that is a California Rancher... he is actually a Doctor but his wife runs the ranch.

He has two permanent ranch hands... both from Mexico... I have met them... very hard working and capable and they love living at the ranch.

Anyway... not too far away is a retired UC Berkeley Professor that contracted work around their place with the ranch hands... my friend told them to be careful because they are not nice people... always complaining about cows and such.

Anyway Pedro and Jose did a lot of work for $10 an hour and were to be paid when done... about $1100

They kept asking for their money and the last time the son said if you come back they were going to be reported to ICE... well they are both legal... Doc wouldn't have it any other way.

They went back and were told they were trespassing and sure enough about a week later the Black SUVs with men in vests and military style drive onto the ranch and block the road just as Doc was pulling up...

He asks what the Hell is going on... told to stand down and demands an answer... old Military Doc..

They said they would be happy to arrest him... so he calls his wife who says they have Jose and Pedro restrained and were taking them in...

Doc tells his wife to go to the office and make copies of Jose and Pedro's documents and ask to speak to the person in charge.....

It was a couple of wasted tense hours as calls were made and pictures of the documents... meanwhile the rural ranch road is blocked and neighbors start calling... I guess ranchers stick together.

In the end... Jose and Pedro are released with a warning that if something doesn't check out they will be back.

Doc pays by check with withholding and again they are legal... with workers compensation insurance, etc.

All this drama because a University Elite wants to stiff two men for wages earned doing hard physical labor.

Last I heard Doc was helping the men sue the professor and filed wage claims, labor law violations, etc...

Doc does things by the book but is not someone you want to mess with... I could see a scenario where things could have gone South quite easily.

Can only imagine had Jose and Pedro not had someone like Doc with the where withal to take charge... and it was not so much as blaming ICE as it was people using ICE to cheat people.

that deadbeat should go to jail. even if they are illegal, they should be given what is due to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California