Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 12:30 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I've thought the same for decades...you will always have a great climate if you get in the right spot....that's worth a lot to me and just about anybody else.

Wife is too afraid of the political climate in California though and I admit it would give me pause as well. For those who like the political climate and have good jobs, you can't find a better climate to enjoy living in, good for you.
The political climate here is awful these days. I don’t blame your wife.
. It’s quite dangerous when you have cities that refuse to work with federal law enforcement in order to get criminals for example . They call them “sanctuary cities” they are sanctuaries .. for criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 12:00 AM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
The only place in California that is worth the high price of real estate is Laguna Beach. Laguna Beach is to California like The Rivera is to France. That's the only way to describe it.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:39 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Now retired, I spend summers sailing Puget Sound. Washington certainly doesn’t have water issues to compare ... but the political climates aren’t much different.

Taxes? Maybe you are a very high earner. Otherwise, California is very tiered. Only the wealthy pay income taxes at such rates as to not compare with the chunk Washington takes out of home owners’ wallets on property taxes. If you live in a high value area, like Seattle, the Eastside, or Bellingham, for examples, the taxes have become astronomical in the growth ... no Prop 13 to save anybody either.

Not trying to convince anyone to move to California, though. Too many here already!
I love Western Washington... but got a rude awakening when my property tax jumped 80% above what I paid for the place 18 months prior...

Washington voters passed their own version of Prop 13 called I-747... it put a lid on property tax but was later tossed by a King county judge and taxes jumped...

There are some exemptions and one of my neighbors is a retire substitute school teacher living in an old mobile home and is one that qualifies...

My Washington Prop tax is 13k on a home that is rented for 24k...

My experience has made me appreciate the wisdom of the California voters making Prop 13 law 40 years ago...

Old 06-29-2018, 10:47 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I love Western Washington... but got a rude awakening when my property tax jumped 80% above what I paid for the place 18 months prior...

Washington voters passed their own version of Prop 13 called I-747... it put a lid on property tax but was later tossed by a King county judge and taxes jumped...

There are some exemptions and one of my neighbors is a retire substitute school teacher living in an old mobile home and is one that qualifies...

My Washington Prop tax is 13k on a home that is rented for 24k...

My experience has made me appreciate the wisdom of the California voters making Prop 13 law 40 years ago...
Yeah, no kidding. Friends here in Washington where I am a summer resident these days are retired disabled and qualify for exemption or they’d likely have to move. The skyrocketing of real estate values in W. Washington is heading into California territory.

I am a strong Prop 13 supporter even though I don’t own Calif. property. Although I am open to the idea of limiting 13 to primary residences.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah, no kidding. Friends here in Washington where I am a summer resident these days are retired disabled and qualify for exemption or they’d likely have to move. The skyrocketing of real estate values in W. Washington is heading into California territory.

I am a strong Prop 13 supporter even though I don’t own Calif. property. Although I am open to the idea of limiting 13 to primary residences.
I can't say that I am well traveled but over the years have lived in the Western United States and Europe...

Western Washington checks all the boxes for me in terms of Natural Beauty and beyond compare Puget Sound with the ring of National Parks surrounding it.

Seems most I meet have California ties... many older arrived or were introduced courtesy of the Military... younger come for the Tech Industries...

Washington is favorable for high Income earners having no State Income Tax on Individuals...

We have neighbors that left the Bay Area and moved to Vancouver WA... they do all their shopping in Oregon which has no State Sales Tax...

Climate wise... some do like the 4 seasons of having a little snow that is gone by the next day... as is common around Puget Sound when it does snow.

I find it hard sometimes not to think Seattle is almost an extension of the SF Bay Area...

Old 06-29-2018, 11:23 AM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Out of curiosity, does the state of WA have a yearly cap on the percentage they can raise property taxes? Had no idea it had gotten that bad. They brag about having no income tax but, as is always the case, collect it through some other way.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:00 PM

My understanding is the Assessor has leeway when determining individual property values...

Sales Tax isn't a bargain either...

For high income, No State Income Tax is huge... maybe why Costco, Amazon, Microsoft, etc... call Washington home.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:30 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
I can't say that I am well traveled but over the years have lived in the Western United States and Europe...

Western Washington checks all the boxes for me in terms of Natural Beauty and beyond compare Puget Sound with the ring of National Parks surrounding it.

Seems most I meet have California ties... many older arrived or were introduced courtesy of the Military... younger come for the Tech Industries...

Washington is favorable for high Income earners having no State Income Tax on Individuals...

We have neighbors that left the Bay Area and moved to Vancouver WA... they do all their shopping in Oregon which has no State Sales Tax...

Climate wise... some do like the 4 seasons of having a little snow that is gone by the next day... as is common around Puget Sound when it does snow.

I find it hard sometimes not to think Seattle is almost an extension of the SF Bay Area...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Out of curiosity, does the state of WA have a yearly cap on the percentage they can raise property taxes? Had no idea it had gotten that bad. They brag about having no income tax but, as is always the case, collect it through some other way.
Quote:
My understanding is the Assessor has leeway when determining individual property values...

Sales Tax isn't a bargain either...

For high income, No State Income Tax is huge... maybe why Costco, Amazon, Microsoft, etc... call Washington home.
It’s a head scratcher unless you are retired and can travel between the two. I can’t do the Washington winters. But near ½ the year, Puget Sound is Valhalla for me now. Of course it is becoming Californicated pricewise because of its smashing beauty and outdoors venues.

But they sure DO take it out of your wallet other ways! Sales tax is roughly the same as CA ... and property taxes are an ‘effing crime!

Old 07-01-2018, 04:00 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
You have idiot buyers from China who buy up a bunch of houses and leave them vacant hoping for price appreciation to blame. Unfortunately, even the price appreciation isn't enough to offset the taxes, fees, and maintenance over the long run, making this a losing economic endeavor while so many people have no place to live because of these investors buying up and not using these houses.

It won't be as bad if they actually rented out those homes.

I know this because nearly every one of my relatives in China who invests in real estate does this, but it doesn't work in the US.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
You have idiot buyers from China who buy up a bunch of houses and leave them vacant hoping for price appreciation to blame. Unfortunately, even the price appreciation isn't enough to offset the taxes, fees, and maintenance over the long run, making this a losing economic endeavor while so many people have no place to live because of these investors buying up and not using these houses.

It won't be as bad if they actually rented out those homes.

I know this because nearly every one of my relatives in China who invests in real estate does this, but it doesn't work in the US.
They also get Visas for buying homes for a certain amount or they used to . Not sure if that program is in affect. I heard an interview with a real estate investor and he was saying even if they can just get their money out of China and not lose money they consider it good ... so when you are competing against that it makes things tough .

On the investment side cap rates keep going down on multi family and now people are just searching for a return where they can they often have to buy in Midwest markets or parts of the South.

Kind of interesting that places that seemed to have been written off during the housing crash are now “hot markets “
Eventually something will happen and things won’t be so hot .. but who knows when .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California