Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 11:24 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,415,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
regulatory agencies like Board of Accountancy and the like should be able to source their revenue from the professionals they regulate. they should not be relying on the general funds/tax
Many do, they in effect double dip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 12:31 PM

661 posts, read 692,101 times
Quote:
regulatory agencies like Board of Accountancy and the like should be able to source their revenue from the professionals they regulate. they should not be relying on the general funds/tax
But then they turn into revenue collecting agencies and have to directly bill every business they deal with. It adds way too much complexity and bureaucracy.

I think self funding government agencies make sense in some cases, but for many regulatory agencies I'd rather see them funded through the general budgets via taxes on businesses, as they are now.

This isn't to say there is no waste or room for introducing efficiencies in California government; there is. But you have to tackle it case by case, department by department mostly. Simply eliminating agencies or telling them to cut some arbitrary amount of their budget is a recipe for more burden on the general population as it results in less efficient govt and elimination of politically weak or easy things. I.E. this department is easier to cut even though that department is really what needs to be trimmed, but they have a more entrenched union.

I often wonder if we paid senior leadership and executives in our public agencies private sector salaries if we would see different results. Why would I sign up to run a 1000 person govt agency for 300K/year and deal with all of the crap that comes with it vs running a private sector 1000 person organization that could pay me 1.5 million?

Even with the pension it doesn't even out, we're counting on either the executives to run these organizations out of altruism or we're getting folks who aren't as competitive as we need because those people have all fled to the private sector. Then you end up with crappy public agency CEO's who end up doing much more harm to the organization than if you had just budgeted 200k/year more for that position. And these executives aren't protected by any union, they usually can be removed by a board quite easily for performance issues.

Anyways, tangential to the original topic but I thought I'd throw my thoughts out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Many do, they in effect double dip.
You mean they have mixed revenue sources. They aren't paying for the same budgetary items or personnel twice. You might have an issue with their budget and spending but its not "double dipping".

Old 07-11-2018, 12:33 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,867,481 times
Quote:
They do. No money from the general funds go to the BOA. Ignore the ignorant anti government ranters...

Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,533,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure where people get the idea that taxpayers are entitled to vote on every fee and tax increase. My federal tax burden will go up because of the changes that were made in the tax bill, I don't recall being able to vote on that one.
But, why should that mean that you wouldn't want to vote when you can?

Old 07-12-2018, 10:58 PM

42,854 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
But, why should that mean that you wouldn't want to vote when you can?
It doesn't, when did I say otherwise?

Old 07-13-2018, 09:59 AM

3,350 posts, read 2,316,052 times
Quote:
maybe we don't need this new gas tax. it seems to me the quality of infrastructures depend on the county.

I took the Ortega Highway last month and when we reached the county line between OC and San Bernardino, the smooth asphalt in the OC side became rough/cracking in SB

you can also compare the I5 in OC and LA. you know you are in LA when the 12 lanes in OC become just 6 lanes in LAC

its not scientific but its just my observation
I actually did a question on this on city data. That i5 portion is a major exception to the ten land minimum in much of LA county. The only other exception is 110 north of downtown. Though it’s true that Orange County maintains their portion better so less bumps between the concrete slaps.

Though i am not so optimistic that this ballot measure would change anything given the patterns of what happens at the ballot box these days.

Though the gas tax has not kept up with inflation for a while. If they didn’t have this tax I bet they will do worse things to get the money off of us.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:17 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,993,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
They are fixing roads with it. So I don't see many people saying lets cancel the road work and save 12 cents a gallon when it already costs 3.50
No, they're paying down Public Union pension liabilities with it.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,798,452 times
gas taxes should be repealed. If they want to fix the bridges and roads they can take the money required from the illegal alien and sanctuary city fund.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:10 AM

42,854 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
gas taxes should be repealed. If they want to fix the bridges and roads they can take the money required from the illegal alien and sanctuary city fund.
and how much money is in the illegal alien and sanctuary city funds? Since you made the claim you must know, right?

Old 07-13-2018, 09:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,533,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It doesn't, when did I say otherwise?
You said, basically, why should we think we should be able to vote in our state if we can't vote on federal taxes. To that, I say, why not vote when you can? And we can do so in our state. Unless you're just being obtuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California