Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 08:30 PM

296 posts, read 265,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
You were not wrong. You did not go far enough. You should have said your doctor prescribed you Scream Therapy, and you should have screamed at her non-stop.
Hahahaha perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 10:52 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,707 times
Glad you said something. "Therapy" or "Emotional support" dogs are a crock and are nothing more than some ridiculous loophole people think they have found to take their pets everywhere. I got into a similar row with a young woman who brought her dog into a restaurant and it proceeded to bark at my elderly mother on a walker. She ended up leaving. I'm sick of entitled dog owners who think they're pets are children or something. Its against California health code to have anything but a licensed service animal (as in trained for six months by a professional for those who are deaf, blind, etc...) in an establishment that sells or prepares food.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:10 AM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
I think it was OK to tell her, Untrained dogs wreck havoc on wildlife in parks & on some endangered birds on shore ( snowy plover). I love dogs but hate the misuse of so many people with "therapy dogs"

Old 06-28-2018, 11:29 AM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Glad you said something. "Therapy" or "Emotional support" dogs are a crock and are nothing more than some ridiculous loophole people think they have found to take their pets everywhere. I got into a similar row with a young woman who brought her dog into a restaurant and it proceeded to bark at my elderly mother on a walker. She ended up leaving. I'm sick of entitled dog owners who think they're pets are children or something. Its against California health code to have anything but a licensed service animal (as in trained for six months by a professional for those who are deaf, blind, etc...) in an establishment that sells or prepares food.
As I recall, in the past you have made clear you don’t like dogs, in general. Fine. And without a doubt many many people are playing the system to self-interest aside from “therapy.” But curious where you get that dogs are not proven valuable in many theraputic situations? You’ve made a blanket condemnation that I suspect comes from your personal preference. Plenty of research and studies validate the positive role of dogs in other than true trained service applications and venues. You want to make negative points about people bs-ing the system, fine. True enough. But there’s plenty evidence to go beyond and against your overarching opinion.

And where did you come up with the definition of legitimate service animals needing to be “trained for six months by a professional”? ADA law doesn’t stipulate any such requirement or certification. People with medically diagnosed conditions that can benefit from service dogs can train their animals themselves and there is no time or curriculum requirement, nor even certification. In most cases professional training is best. But not always.

I am friends with a Deaf couple who trained a couple retrievers to alert them to various sounds and situaltional stimuli ... the dogs, for example, alert the owners when a text tone sounds on their cell phones, thus assisting general communications and also providing notice for emergency alerts. I asked them how long it took to get the dogs to respond to the text tones and smoke alarms. They laughed and said “less than a couple months”. Dog biscuit rewards can be a powerful technique, I guess. Text tone = cookie time!

Old 06-28-2018, 11:39 AM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I think it was OK to tell her, Untrained dogs wreck havoc on wildlife in parks & on some endangered birds on shore ( snowy plover). I love dogs but hate the misuse of so many people with "therapy dogs"
Disagree. Many conditions that can benefit from service dogs are not visibly apparent. Diabetes, epilepsy, dystonia, PTSD, deafness - as just a few examples. Folks with such conditions are constantly challenged about their dogs. It is a real aggravation after a while. It is best to refer concerns to venue management.

As to “untrained dogs wreaking havoc” ... well, if they’re “untrained” they’re not service dogs, by definition ... and can be ejected from any venue ... should be reported ... but stll best to leave confrontation to management. Most employers these days give employees basic orientations to their jobs that include dealing with guests / customers with disabilities. Let them handle it.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:56 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Disagree. Many conditions that can benefit from service dogs are not visibly apparent. Diabetes, epilepsy, dystonia, PTSD, deafness - as just a few examples. Folks with such conditions are constantly challenged about their dogs. It is a real aggravation after a while. It is best to refer concerns to venue management.

As to “untrained dogs wreaking havoc” ... well, if they’re “untrained” they’re not service dogs, by definition ... and can be ejected from any venue ... should be reported ... but stll best to leave confrontation to management. Most employers these days give employees basic orientations to their jobs that include dealing with guests / customers with disabilities. Let them handle it.
The problem is people are mixing up emotional support dogs with real service animals. Emotional support animals have no right to go anywhere but their owners try to insist they’re the same as the support animals. They’re not.

I’m all for service animals but this nonsense with the emotional support animals has to stop. Costco recently began stopping people with emotional support animals from entering. I’ve seen people react the same as the OP described. Screaming, yelling, throwing fits and cursing out the Costco employees. These people come unhinged when told no.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:13 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
The problem is people are mixing up emotional support dogs with real service animals. Emotional support animals have no right to go anywhere but their owners try to insist they’re the same as the support animals. They’re not.

I’m all for service animals but this nonsense with the emotional support animals has to stop. Costco recently began stopping people with emotional support animals from entering. I’ve seen people react the same as the OP described. Screaming, yelling, throwing fits and cursing out the Costco employees. These people come unhinged when told no.
Amen.

Now someone can't handle going to the beach w/o assistance? Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: