Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:36 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times

Advertisements

California is a tinderbox and this isn't 40 or 50 years ago when we could get away with it climate-wise. There is no reason or excuse to sell "safe and sane" fireworks anywhere in this state. In Butte County (where I live) they are against the law, except that local municipalities can opt out of the ban. Oroville allows their sale and groups like the YMCA and Elks put considerable pressure on the city council to keep them legal for their fund raising. Its sheer idiocy. This town is surrounded by wooded hills. I'm in the city limits, but right behind my house is nothing but brush and grass for miles. All up and down my street people set them off every year. Its a disaster waiting to happen all so groups can make a few bucks. After four major local fires last year with 400 homes burned its egregious to allow this to continue. I'm sure this isn't unusual in other parts of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 10:32 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
People have been playing with fireworks where I live for a few days now. It's supposed to be illegal on non permitted days, but the riffraff don't care that there are others who are bothered by the noise and potential fire hazard.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
ITA. They should be banned completely. Pretty much the entire state is dry kindling. It is incredibly stupid to let them be so easily obtained. When we lived in the Bay Area, Pacifica had legal firework booths, all run by various non profits, people came from all over to buy them. It seems like such a no brainer to ban them.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:45 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
They can try but it will never stop the idiots who buy illegal fireworks and try to set the neighborhood on fire every year. Idiots

Old 06-29-2018, 12:23 AM

764 posts, read 2,037,395 times
I completely agree. The risk just isn't worth it.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:41 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
I'm not speaking of professional displays either. Those people know what they're doing and its done in safe areas.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:09 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
They have been against the law for years where I live. Does no good, it's like a professional fireworks show for days before and on July 4th.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:18 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Won't make a difference, so why bother?

Old 06-29-2018, 08:32 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
We need to ban fireworks, fire pits, barbecue grills (the latter two also are a fire hazard and expel smoke into the air-what about the children with asthma?).

Ban water play (hint hint we're in a drought), horseplay (you could break a leg), foreplay (you could catch or spread an STD), outdoor music (respect the neighbors), outdoor gatherings (not a wise thing to do in this age of mass shootings-we can't be having targets), avoid eating meat (contributes to global warming and meat is murder anyway), avoid consuming alcohol (it's irresponsible and we don't need any DUI's out there), try not to eat any sugary snacks or foods (obesity and diabetes is a real problem), and remember-no outdoor photography (for privacy and security reasons).

So just observe these few common sense items and go have fun and enjoy celebrating your Freedom!

Old 06-29-2018, 10:43 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
We need to ban fireworks, fire pits, barbecue grills (the latter two also are a fire hazard and expel smoke into the air-what about the children with asthma?).

Ban water play (hint hint we're in a drought), horseplay (you could break a leg), foreplay (you could catch or spread an STD), outdoor music (respect the neighbors), outdoor gatherings (not a wise thing to do in this age of mass shootings-we can't be having targets), avoid eating meat (contributes to global warming and meat is murder anyway), avoid consuming alcohol (it's irresponsible and we don't need any DUI's out there), try not to eat any sugary snacks or foods (obesity and diabetes is a real problem), and remember-no outdoor photography (for privacy and security reasons).

So just observe these few common sense items and go have fun and enjoy celebrating your Freedom!

Simpler solution: ban people altogether (or at least most of them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California