Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM

77 posts, read 305,417 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

we are in a real dilemma and I need some advice.
My husband has been commuting to Bakersfield from the Sac area 2-3days out of the week for the last year or so, as his company's West coast headquarters are there and the offices here got pretty much shut down. We both agreed on never wanting to move there, esp. me as I am a huge outdoors lover and my surroundings are majorly important to me. I hate hot weather and I need lots of green scenery for the happiness of my kids and ourselves. Also good schools and friendly laid back people is important to us. I am really pretty happy where I am right now. However, reality is that with his current company he would have to make the transfer starting July anyways. But now he received a really really amazing offer from another company - but also located in Bakersfield. I keep looking at the map and from what my husband told, there is just no other nice place close enough by that we could move to. The offer guy told us, we should just live on the coast, but wouldn't that be an insane daily commute?? I feel like no matter how I twist it, there seems to be nothing I could settle with. So the other option is staying here, like we had planned before we got that offer, but then again I don't want to hinder my hubby from such a big jump in his career. So is there anything at all within an hour of Bakersfield that would fit my wishes? What would be the next best option?? I am very grateful for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 09:15 PM

297 posts, read 401,281 times
I understand what you are going through. We were also pondering a move to bakersfield (from the central coast) because of a job transfer. We went back and forth and also continued negotiating with my employer and we finally decided to move.

Unfortunately Bakersfield is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. One spot that might work for you is the Frazier Park/Pine Mountain area located off of the Grapevine I think (never actually been there myself). It looks like a very small town but it is surrounded by some nice pine trees.

I think anyplace greener, slightly cooler and less hot is going to be at least 45 minutes away from both bakersfield and any decent shopping (Target and the like).

Old 06-06-2012, 06:25 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
How about Kernville? Great outdoor activities there on the river. But if I remember correctly, it's kind of a dangerous road between Kernville and Bakersfield. How about Tehachapi?

Old 06-06-2012, 12:24 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times
Tehachapi gets my vote. Or Lake Isabella. To make it 1.5 hours, maybe Santa Clarita.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:18 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
Make it a mountain town. Kernville and Lake Isabella are candidates, but I don't think I'd want my loved one making that commute every day. Tehachapi gives you access to the outdoors, but it's pretty bleak itself, and I'd generally stay away from any place with that many wind turbines (wind turbines = strong, consistent wind!). I'd vote for driving down Frazier Mtn Park Rd until you find something. Frazier Park, Lake of the Woods, Pine Mtn Club. That puts you farther from the Sierras, but there are still some good recreational opportunities in the transverse range.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:13 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Any nice places within an hour of Bakersfield?
No

Old 06-07-2012, 10:35 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times
OP, just to chime in again but unless you have checked out Bakersfield for a few days, I think you may be underestimating what the city has to offer. Other than finding another place within an hour of Bakersfield, you weren't really specific about what you were looking for.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:53 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Tehachapi gets my vote. Or Lake Isabella. To make it 1.5 hours, maybe Santa Clarita.
Lake Isabella gets very hot and windy. If it was me I would head for Velencia or Santa Clarita.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:47 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times
Santa Clarita is the nearest and just a 80 mile drive. It is located between Los Angeles and Los Padres National Forest; great location for outside activities.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
OP, just to chime in again but unless you have checked out Bakersfield for a few days, I think you may be underestimating what the city has to offer. Other than finding another place within an hour of Bakersfield, you weren't really specific about what you were looking for.
I agree with Tim. I dont understand the dislike of Bakersfield. I mean,it isnt exactly Gary,Indiana!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California