Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 07:36 AM

40 posts, read 155,601 times

Advertisements

Yep, as my screen name suggests, we're considering UT and CO. For various reasons, we aren't 100% sold. I used to live in CA (Palo Alto) and LOVED it. Unfortunately I left before the bubble and can't afford to get back in unless I want to live in a shack. So...

we're looking for a nice area (low crime, well kept, trails, etc) within an hour of a major airport. Work is from home, so no commute other than that to worry about. We're looking to spend about $800K for a 4-5 bedroom if the area does not have stellar schools (we'd send them private) OR up to about $1.2 million if it's a great schools system (I know, everyone defines that differently but let's just go with high test scores for ease of explanation). I was thinking Sacramento might work, but looks like that airport is not going to cut it.

Anywhere in N.CA which might fit the bill???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:56 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Well,

You are asking th right Q at the right time! With the current CA RE slump it will be a great time to get into a lot of places you couldn't before. And with your budget you can move 'almost' anywhere in N. Cal. I am moving to the Monterey area 'from' CO in a few weeks with my family. And prices in Monterey county are down ~47%. To get an idea of this recent change check out this chart with of median home prices for CA cities:
Annual Change by City

Take a look at Monterey, Pacific Grove, Del Rey Oaks, and some of the private communities along the 68 such as Corral de Tierra. If you want to go further north and closer to SJ/SF check out Scotts Valley, Morgan Hill, Pleasanton, Livermore, Sonoma, Petaluma, etc... If you have considered buying in CA it is a buyers market now and will continue to be in select sub markets over the next year.

While CO is nice certain parts of CA are hard to beat especially if you have lived their before and know where you want to be. CO is just a different way of life. You will have less crouds, traffic, pollution, crime, illegals, lower cost of living, etc... which are some of the reasons we moved to CO from CA. But you have to be ready for the trade off and new "set of cons."

No place is perfect and while I like the wide open spaces CO affords I don't enjoy being land locked in the middle of the US. It is sort of like being on a island of land. It is just too darn far to drive to the coast. Plus you have to be prepared to not go out as much during snow season which start as early as Oct and last thru May. Snow season can seem long if you like to hike, etc.. in the outdoors. When it is below freezing especially in the Mtns. it can be difficult.

Derek

Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
What do you need out of an airport? If you want to be within an hour of an airport of the caliber of SFO, then you're going to spend a lot more than if Santa Rosa will do just as well. I have a good solution for you, though. Redwood City is about half an hour to either SFO or San Jose; the town has a number of gorgeous parks, and it's not hard at all to get a well-maintained 4-5 bedroom for $800K. See 215 James for instance - it's in the Mt. Carmel neighborhood, west of El Camino Real but within two blocks of the train station. North Star Academy has a pretty solid reputation, too.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 AM

32 posts, read 120,842 times
Sacramento ~ within an hour you can be living in the mountains and an $800k house would be pretty doggone nice. I missed the airport not working.

Last edited by AndyV; 08-05-2008 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Comment on Airport

Old 08-05-2008, 01:06 PM

40 posts, read 155,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
Sacramento ~ within an hour you can be living in the mountains and an $800k house would be pretty doggone nice. I missed the airport not working.
I know, that's what I was thinking!! Then I checked the flights and realized it just isn't a big enough airport. It's got to be some sort of hub to have the variety of times/places I think...too bad though, I was excited about that for a few minutes!!

I'll cehck out the other places suggested so far. Thanks for the help. And keep them coming!!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:06 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times
Sacramento is expanding its airport, which will be up to par with Portland's airport. But like major airports, airlines are dropping services due to high fuel prices. I think Sacramento is a good fit. Its a medium size airport and will take you anywhere on the West Coast and a one-stop to any of the hubs out East.

Like someone mention, Sac is within an hour of the mountains, lakes, ocean, San Francisco, which is the closest airport hub. So I recommend Sacramento, though I'm bias.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:13 PM

259 posts, read 765,246 times
Sacramento might not be so bad. SFO is only about 90 minutes away....

800K and you'll be living in the laps of luxury in this market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California