Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 07:19 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,785,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Thought about all of you today. Looking at all the homes destroyed in the last 24 hours, I was reminded that it almost two years ago, some of you went through the same thing. Except now trying to figure out what to do when you're living in the midst of a pandemic but no place to go. I ask myself how much worse can things get but then realize they can. I guess the one consolation, if there's any to be found, these fires were caused by lightening strikes and not by a utility company being lax in their duties to maintain equipment.
So well said. Every time we have these fires my heart breaks thinking of all who have endured (and those who tragically have not) the horrors of these conflagrations. There are several couples who moved to my immediate neighborhood following the loss of their homes in Paradise. I hope they do not have any interaction with the other thoughtless neighbors who, just this morning, were extolling the "beauty" of the red sun trying to break through the smoke. When I tried to bring some sense into the conversation, they all looked at me like I was crazy when I said that the red smoky sun just meant fire and tragedy to me. Even after I more fully explained my feelings, they just didn't get it. I can't deal with people who lack any compassion for those who have suffered. Now I know who I'll be avoiding on my morning walks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 08:27 PM

19,225 posts, read 16,726,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
So well said. Every time we have these fires my heart breaks thinking of all who have endured (and those who tragically have not) the horrors of these conflagrations. There are several couples who moved to my immediate neighborhood following the loss of their homes in Paradise. I hope they do not have any interaction with the other thoughtless neighbors who, just this morning, were extolling the "beauty" of the red sun trying to break through the smoke. When I tried to bring some sense into the conversation, they all looked at me like I was crazy when I said that the red smoky sun just meant fire and tragedy to me. Even after I more fully explained my feelings, they just didn't get it. I can't deal with people who lack any compassion for those who have suffered. Now I know who I'll be avoiding on my morning walks.
Good to hear from you, movinon. Doesn't it just boggle your mind how incredibly ignorant people can be sometimes? Lately, I see more and more of a disconnect between humans. I don't ever remember a time in my life where people were more insensitive, lacking empathy and compassion for others than they do now. I'm sorry you have neighbors like that.

This morning when I went outside, I was hit with the smell of smoke and the sky was orange. I know the fires are a fairly good distance from me but I thought, if it's this bad where I'm at, how bad it must be for those living in a closer proximity. Then, I saw tiny white specks falling to the ground and I knew it was ash. I couldn't help think about all the firefighters out there trying to extinguish the flames and how exhausted they all must be.

Keep up that walking, girl. It's a great way to clear your mind and soothe the spirit. And, yeah, stay away from those neighbors. Just hope they never have to face something so devastating. If I've learned one thing in life it's that only the strong will survive. Be well and take care

Old 08-19-2020, 09:03 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,744,700 times
Thank You All for the kind words. Here are some simple warning signs of a fire coming near you.

First come the smell. Go out front and behind the house because one side might be stronger smelling.

Look at the sky. If one side is clear and the other is darker without clouds, that could be fire.

Then watch for miniscule ash particles falling. Best place to notice them is the car's hood or the windshield. On the ground you might miss it. When the particles come faster and larger the time to pack is maybe 30-45 minutes, depending on the wind.

Never let you gas tank drop under the halfway mark. The other half could give you a 150-mile range but in heavy gridlock with the average speed at 4-6 mph that half tank won't last long.

I'm monitoring several websites like Cal-Fire and Butte County Sheriffs. The problem is lack of frequent updates and conflicting updates. Butte County has over 30 fires now, and they call them, for example, the Butte Lightning Complex fire, because they can't come up with new names to 3-4 fires close to each other.

As for how are we feeling, well, to me, it is like living in a war zone and waiting if there would be a bombing raid today, or maybe next week. In times like this we are scared going out for groceries or to a doctor, because maybe we won't have time to go back home for the dog.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:12 PM

318 posts, read 197,742 times
I saw on the news that these fires were the result of 12,000 lightning strikes. Lake, Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino counties all have had mandatory evacuation orders from various fires that are still not contained. At least the recent heat spell is waning which may help get them under control.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Thank You All for the kind words. Here are some simple warning signs of a fire coming near you.

First come the smell. Go out front and behind the house because one side might be stronger smelling.

Look at the sky. If one side is clear and the other is darker without clouds, that could be fire.

Then watch for miniscule ash particles falling. Best place to notice them is the car's hood or the windshield. On the ground you might miss it. When the particles come faster and larger the time to pack is maybe 30-45 minutes, depending on the wind.

Never let you gas tank drop under the halfway mark. The other half could give you a 150-mile range but in heavy gridlock with the average speed at 4-6 mph that half tank won't last long.

I'm monitoring several websites like Cal-Fire and Butte County Sheriffs. The problem is lack of frequent updates and conflicting updates. Butte County has over 30 fires now, and they call them, for example, the Butte Lightning Complex fire, because they can't come up with new names to 3-4 fires close to each other.

As for how are we feeling, well, to me, it is like living in a war zone and waiting if there would be a bombing raid today, or maybe next week. In times like this we are scared going out for groceries or to a doctor, because maybe we won't have time to go back home for the dog.
All good points.

Have you tried YubaNet for fire news? Well, regular news, too, for that matter. I discovered them when I still lived in the foothills near Grass Valley. I think they do a really good job considering that fires are moving targets. Here's the link:

https://yubanet.com/Fires/

Lots of ash falling here in Roseville as it's been doing all day. Just was out with the dog for her bedtime pitstop . . . ash is falling and looks so weird falling at night under the outdoor lights.

Speaking of dogs, can you take Mr. Dog with you when you go shopping and one of you could stay in the car with the AC on while the other does the shopping? Just for now, I mean, while the fire danger is so high.

You, and your fellow survivors, must be having flashbacks right now. I know I would be. Heck, every time I smell smoke I go into survival mode and I've never (thankfully) lost a home or possessions in a wildfire. I've had to evacuate too many times to count, both when I lived in Southern California and then in the Nevada County and Yuba County foothills. That left lasting scars for me.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Good to hear from you, movinon. Doesn't it just boggle your mind how incredibly ignorant people can be sometimes? Lately, I see more and more of a disconnect between humans. I don't ever remember a time in my life where people were more insensitive, lacking empathy and compassion for others than they do now. I'm sorry you have neighbors like that.

This morning when I went outside, I was hit with the smell of smoke and the sky was orange. I know the fires are a fairly good distance from me but I thought, if it's this bad where I'm at, how bad it must be for those living in a closer proximity. Then, I saw tiny white specks falling to the ground and I knew it was ash. I couldn't help think about all the firefighters out there trying to extinguish the flames and how exhausted they all must be.

Keep up that walking, girl. It's a great way to clear your mind and soothe the spirit. And, yeah, stay away from those neighbors. Just hope they never have to face something so devastating. If I've learned one thing in life it's that only the strong will survive. Be well and take care
You said it all in your first paragraph. I totally agree. Common courtesy, decency, and a moral compass seem to have deserted way too many people. A crisis seems to bring out the worst in some people.

That ash is something else. The dog was fascinated watching it. I doubt she's ever seen it before. Between that and the smell of the smoke, it was all I could do to get her to come in!

Have you checked Airnow.gov to see how the air quality is doing in your area? It's pretty bad here. I'm hoping it's better early in the morning so the dog and I can go for our 3-mile morning "gallop". My day just doesn't feel right if we don't start it that way. Take it easy until the air improves - our lungs can't take a whole lot of what's blowing around right now.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:03 AM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
Thought about all of you today. Looking at all the homes destroyed in the last 24 hours, I was reminded that it almost two years ago, some of you went through the same thing. Except now trying to figure out what to do when you're living in the midst of a pandemic but no place to go. I ask myself how much worse can things get but then realize they can. I guess the one consolation, if there's any to be found, these fires were caused by lightening strikes and not by a utility company being lax in their duties to maintain equipment.
Or some illegals or homeless cooking. Glad you made it through. This thread gives me flashbacks to the fires that ran through here. No one is safe from wild fires in California. Be safe, god bless and good luck.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post

Oh how my heart breaks for all of you throughout the state as it seems like everyday bring a new threat of some kind. All we can do is pray for you and other friends in CA and hope like all bad things, these fires will also pass.

Old 08-22-2020, 02:01 PM

130,545 posts, read 12,143,244 times
Mgr, some sites I follow for fire info:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1742...vity&ref=notif

https://www.facebook.com/groups/butt...cidents.crimes

https://www.facebook.com/ButteWxSpotter/

The first one says Oroville area fires, but she covers fires in the North State. Your description of a war zone was apt. We had an evac warning for a day last week, I hate it.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:42 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,744,700 times
Just to be clear, there are evacuation warnings, followed by an evacuation ORDER if the situation is turning more dangerous.
We haven't received either one on November 8th, 2018. What made us leave was the finger-size ash particles hitting the deck of the house, carried over by the strong wind that day.

I think we have been fortunate that the fire started around 6 AM. If it had been midnight, give and take an hour, the number of the dead could have been 10 - 20 times higher with everyone sleeping and no alerts from the authorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California