Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:05 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,836,248 times

Advertisements

I have read where a few people believe that during Ronald Reagan’s two terms as Governor, he did so much damage to California that they have never recovered, even though that was 40 - 50 years ago. What did he supposedly do to destroy the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 09:44 AM

8,395 posts, read 7,677,429 times
I've lived in California for 35 years and I have never heard anyone blame Ronald Reagan for California's current day issues.

Some do argue that Prop 13 -- which passed several years after Reagan was governor -- has had a detrimental effect on the state.

But, you'll also find plenty of people who argue that Prop 13 is the best thing that ever happened to California.

California, like ALL states, has always had its challenges, but I personally wouldn't blame those challenges on the actions/decisions of a single person. Like the challenges in every state, it's is much more complicated than that.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:52 AM

367 posts, read 422,257 times
Well it's being mentioned that under Reagan all the completely crazy folks got to live on the streets due to mental health cuts...and CA climate being conductive gives....

Old 11-16-2018, 09:54 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,798,160 times
I live here for almost 45 years. He was great for me and my family. I worked at one of his StarWars program. I thought he lowered the income tax rate overall. He helped me simplify my tax, I no longer had to carry a lot of receipts. Some people on CDs likes to blame Reagan. They probably are on public pension. I never heard they blamed on any Democrats.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:06 AM

102,256 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
Well it's being mentioned that under Reagan all the completely crazy folks got to live on the streets due to mental health cuts...and CA climate being conductive gives....
Right, that was when he was President, though. I've only heard that he instituted tuition in the university system, which had been free until then (he said he did this to keep Communist infiltrators out of UC Berkeley, in the wake of the Free Speech movement and the Vietnam War protests), and he sent the National Guard to Berkeley, to help the university assert control over a vacant lot they owned, that had been turned into a park by hippies and street people.

Maybe this should be on the History forum, lol.

Here are a couple items from Wiki, on Reagan as Guv:
Quote:
In his first term, he froze government hiring and approved tax hikes to balance the budget
Quote:
An unsuccessful attempt to recall Reagan in 1968[15] was supported by senior citizens, educators, and organized labor.
No explanation on the latter, but here's the link to Wiki's source for it:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...=7014,1169940c

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-16-2018 at 10:22 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 10:10 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,798,160 times
I thought the Vietnam war protests were over by the time he was elected. But I think he’s right, Bezerkeley need to get off the street protesting. If free tuition did that, then it’s best to take it away.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 11-16-2018 at 10:22 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 10:15 AM

367 posts, read 422,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right, that was when he was President, though. I've only heard that he instituted tuition in the university system, which had been free until then (he said he did this to keep Communist infiltrators out of UC Berkeley, in the wake of the Free Speech movement and the Vietnam War protests), and he sent the National Guard to Berkeley, to help the university assert control over a vacant lot they owned, that had been turned into a park by hippies and street people.

Maybe this should be on the History forum, lol.
Yes, as a President....and CA having a nice climate for year-round outdoor living became a magnet for those folks from all over, so some blame Reagan presidency.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:15 AM

26,798 posts, read 26,927,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
Further back than Reagan. It was during JFK's administration in 1963. Unfortunately, JFK's plans for what could happen for those who were deinstitutionalized afterward were not realized, since he was assassinated one month after his legislation was passed.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:29 AM

102,256 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I thought the Vietnam war protests were over by the time he was elected. But I think he’s right, Bezerkeley need to get off the street protesting. If free tuition did that, then it’s best to take it away.
Yes, they were. That's why ai said "in the wake of", instead of "during".

Old 11-16-2018, 10:30 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,673,175 times
The worse thing I think he did, and I remember this - in the 70's he closed mental hospitals and turned the people out on the street. There have never been mental hospitals ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California