Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 4,644 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Moving to Lompoc Ca.. Share some stories about the town for the uninitiated.
Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 10:52 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
Sorry no one answered. I've only been through there but have been looking it up. It seems to have a bad reputation but I'm not sure why. It also seems cheaper than Santa Barbara. I know there are lots of flowers.

Maybe someone who knows more will see this and respond. The climate seems good.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:47 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Whoops, sorry I didn't see this earlier OP. I'm kind of this forum's Lompoc poster. I lived there for a year from 2013-14.

Lompoc is, at its essence, a bedroom town for Santa Barbara commuters. However, it's also a cool town on its own. It's close to a few beaches (not that I'd suggest swimming there...shark attacks ) and to the Santa Ynez Valley, a renowned wine region. It's DEFINITELY much cheaper than Santa Barbara to live in.

I enjoyed living there when I did. I went there for a job. There isn't much shopping in town, but Santa Maria is about 20 minutes away. If you are looking for a place to live, I advise the south side (south of Ocean Avenue). There are a lot of nice Victorians in the area.

Lompoc is also a great place to bike. The city itself is fairly flat so you can get around easily. It's close to Mission La Purisima, where you can hike and do other mission touristy stuff. The climate is temperate and coastal. It's about 70 degrees most of the year. Lots of fog in August in the mornings. September and October are the hottest months.

If you want to escape you can drive an hour south to SB or an hour north to San Luis Obispo and the Five Cities.

As for the "bad reputation"... Lompoc's bad rep comes from people who have never lived there. Crime-wise it's actually pretty good. There are certain areas to avoid and I can tell you what those bad parts are if needed. There's a bit of gang activity but it's always isolated within the gang. Nobody hurts anyone outside of that. I don't think there was a homicide the whole year I was there.
I am not sure if that could change now since it's getting more violent in nearby Santa Maria.

Let me know if you need any more info! And check out this thread, it has a lot more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...-lompoc-3.html
I linked you to the 3rd page because that was when I came in to talk about Lompoc with a few others.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:12 AM

12 posts, read 29,783 times
I would like to know more about the quality of living, food prices, utilities, hospital facilities,
shopping mall and insurance. Of course, the weather year round.
Thanks!

Old 07-23-2016, 09:58 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campesina View Post
I would like to know more about the quality of living, food prices, utilities, hospital facilities,
shopping mall and insurance. Of course, the weather year round.
Thanks!
I have only visited there and the most memorable thing was a place where you could hand feed ostriches. Lots of areas seemed sketchy and the economy probably depends heavily on the VB Air Force Base.

I noticed you are from North Carolina. It might be a safe comparison to say Lompoc is the "Goldsboro of California"... With better scenery..

Old 04-24-2017, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin2Kaliforneeeee View Post
Hi,
Moving to Lompoc Ca.. Share some stories about the town for the uninitiated.
Thx.
Hi,just saw this. I lived/grew up in lompoc from 1980-2001, and still visit from time to time to see family still there.

The cost of living is lower then Santa Barbara, but still high(but i must it is mostly due to the state,not local goverment). On utilities, the city provides water,sewer, and power, gas is provided by pg&e, if i remember right.

The local hospital built a new place a few yrs ago due to new earthquake rules by the state. Lompoc has no shopping mall, the closest one is in Santa Maria. Lompoc has several shopping centers, mostly located on the north on of town.

The weather depends on what month it is. In the winter, it can be wet and rainy, the springtime can be nice or not. May and june the fog can stay all day long, in the fall, when the santa ana winds blow, it can get very warm/hot(upper 80-low 90's, though a strong santa ana can bring the temp above 100), but this will only last about 2-4 days on average before the seabreeze returns.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:32 PM

12 posts, read 29,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I have only visited there and the most memorable thing was a place where you could hand feed ostriches. Lots of areas seemed sketchy and the economy probably depends heavily on the VB Air Force Base.

I noticed you are from North Carolina. It might be a safe comparison to say Lompoc is the "Goldsboro of California"... With better scenery..
Thanks for your information!
I'm not a big city fan. What I'm looking is for a nice weather year round and
a place that is in general safe, with people that are friendly.
Have a nice day!

Old 07-06-2017, 02:04 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post

I don't get the point of your reply when you didn't even live there. And it's not even accurate. The ostrich farm is in Buellton.

To anyone interested in Lompoc life, feel free to send me a direct message. I don't get notifications when this thread is bumped as I don't really go to the California forum and so I only check it when I get reps.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,873 times
Well, its look like we may be leaving the belly of the beast (LA) and returning to the Central Coast. We lived in the 5 cities area from 07-16 as I worked at CMC and ASH as a LCSW. I still work for the State, but in Compton in Parole ('nuff said.).

We came down to support ailing parents and it appears things have/are stable to enable us to return.

As its now been nearly 3 yrs since leaving, am wondering if Lompoc may be worth considering---especially in light of housing prices.

So....how have things improved/gotten worse in Lompoc?

Old 12-09-2018, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 5,873 times
savoy....we are considering Lompoc as a possible area to return to (having lived in AG from 07-16) vs returning to the 5 Cities...I know you're not in the area...but do you have a sense of how things are? What are the areas to avoid for housing?

Thanks for your info in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California