Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 11:04 AM

224 posts, read 298,003 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid growing up in the great central valley California was a great place to live. We played on the streets. We rode our bicycles all over the place without fear of being kidnapped. We caught crawdads down at the creek and fished. We played in parks that are now scary and filled with homeless people. The air was clean and you could see from mountain range to mountain range. The water was excellent and came directly from wells in our city. We had tree ripened fruit that we grew on trees right at home. When I got older I could drive easily without tons of traffic.

I don't live in California anymore but when I go back I have such an easy feeling about it. It is just oppressive to me. Maybe I just remember what it used to be too much.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:18 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
My heart bleeds for Michigan, which I loved visiting as a kid, too. Now, as of this week, toxic chemical PFAS is being found in drinking water in many areas of the state; then there was the water poisoning (by lead) in Flint; vast expanses of so many towns (pPort Huron, e.g.) decimated by crime and decay from abandonment by the auto industry; "ghost towns" in the UP after logging left; the state's largest city, Detroit, still in flux after bankruptcy; and more:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...sit/655847002/

The reality is that places change, not only for the better.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:24 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
When I was a kid growing up in the great central valley California was a great place to live. We played on the streets. We rode our bicycles all over the place without fear of being kidnapped. We caught crawdads down at the creek and fished. We played in parks that are now scary and filled with homeless people. The air was clean and you could see from mountain range to mountain range. The water was excellent and came directly from wells in our city. We had tree ripened fruit that we grew on trees right at home. When I got older I could drive easily without tons of traffic.

I don't live in California anymore but when I go back I have such an easy feeling about it. It is just oppressive to me. Maybe I just remember what it used to be too much.
Aw shucks ... thanks ... we need your pity ...

Old 01-05-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Aw shucks ... thanks ... we need your pity ...
It is not pity. It is just a kind of sadness of what has happened to California.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:38 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Yet another CA bashing thread. If I had a dollar for every CA bashing thread I could retire! Oh wait, I am retired!!!

Old 01-05-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
My heart bleeds for Michigan, which I loved visiting as a kid, too. Now, as of this week, toxic chemical PFAS is being found in drinking water in many areas of the state; then there was the water poisoning (by lead) in Flint; vast expanses of so many towns (pPort Huron, e.g.) decimated by crime and decay from abandonment by the auto industry; "ghost towns" in the UP after logging left; the state's largest city, Detroit, still in flux after bankruptcy; and more:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...sit/655847002/

The reality is that places change, not only for the better.
You are right. Michigan has its problems. No place is perfect. Michigan does need to get its act together when it comes to regulating these manufacturers.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yet another CA bashing thread. If I had a dollar for every CA bashing thread I could retire! Oh wait, I am retired!!!
I am not really bashing California. It is like what I said in the post above. California has a lot of great things about it. Yosemite National Park and the Ansel Adams Wilderness which is a great place to go backpacking. Access to the ocean and relatively mild weather. It has become so expensive to live in California I could not go back even if I wanted to.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:59 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
When I was a kid growing up in the great central valley California was a great place to live. We played on the streets. We rode our bicycles all over the place without fear of being kidnapped. We caught crawdads down at the creek and fished. We played in parks....
In what state in the country DIDN'T kids do this, decades ago? What does this have to do with California? You're speaking of a societal change, not a change that pertains to a geographic location.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:10 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:

OP, people still have home-grown tree-ripened fruit. That hasn't changed. As to the rest of it, those issues aren't unique to California. Well water throughout the West is being contested, and is a threatened commodity. Colorado has made individual home water catchment illegal, because it deprives well-owners and agriculture of crucial groundwater and surface water supply. The skies are no longer as clear as they used to be in many parts of the country, and the world. Homelessness has a major impact in other regions as well, especially those where housing costs have skyrocketed. These are sad signs of the times in which we live. These are humanity's current challenges.

Most of them are global. Traffic in economic boom areas, in the US and elsewhere, has exceeded the roads' capacity to handle it. This is what happens, when auto and oil industries team up to suppress the expansion of public transportation. Countries that emphasize public transit don't have that problem, for the most part. Water is becoming scarce throughout the world, and this is only the beginning of the water-scarcity problem. Water quality is also at risk. Not only climate change, but sea level rise will exacerbate the water issues, as salt water invades freshwater sources.

My heart bleeds for humanity. California is only one corner of it. At this point in the unfolding of the human story, courageous and visionary leadership is needed. I don't see that manifesting. We're in for a rough road ahead.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, people still have home-grown tree-ripened fruit. That hasn't changed. As to the rest of it, those issues aren't unique to California. Well water throughout the West is being contested, and is a threatened commodity. Colorado has made individual home water catchment illegal, because it deprives well-owners and agriculture of crucial groundwater and surface water supply. The skies are no longer as clear as they used to be in many parts of the country, and the world. Homelessness has a major impact in other regions as well, especially those where housing costs have skyrocketed. These are sad signs of the times in which we live. These are humanity's current challenges.

Most of them are global. Traffic in economic boom areas, in the US and elsewhere, has exceeded the roads' capacity to handle it. This is what happens, when auto and oil industries team up to suppress the expansion of public transportation. Countries that emphasize public transit don't have that problem, for the most part. Water is becoming scarce throughout the world, and this is only the beginning of the water-scarcity problem. Water quality is also at risk. Not only climate change, but sea level rise will exacerbate the water issues, as salt water invades freshwater sources.

My heart bleeds for humanity. California is only one corner of it. At this point in the unfolding of the human story, courageous and visionary leadership is needed. I don't see that manifesting. We're in for a rough road ahead.
What you say is true. I guess I was being a little nostalgic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California