Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 09:29 PM

145 posts, read 104,643 times

Advertisements

Too little to make a dent on the problem of over-development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 08:27 AM

1,336 posts, read 930,257 times
oh ye on the outside... Tulemutt you are retired and smoking joints on the beaches of San Diego. You can't get the true picture by reading the LA Times business section. Not that that is such a bad life, though.

I can tell you the Silicon Valley machine is broken, and the biggest dead tree gonna fall is Tim Apple's deal.
Facebook traffic drying up, only being kept alive by Insta teens following the Kardashians, would not bet that will last forever.
Google is the only healthy outfit due it's lock on web advertising, but even those dollars are shifting to social networks which Google is shut out of.

Without the little hub of Silicon Valley Cali is broken and closed for business. Our small business is most definitely going to expand outside of the bay area, it's impossible to hire here, it's too expensive to hire here due to competition and engineers living costs. Every other small and growing business is in our shoes and looking to escape the constraints of this place.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:46 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,386,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
oh ye on the outside... Tulemutt you are retired and smoking joints on the beaches of San Diego. You can't get the true picture by reading the LA Times business section. Not that that is such a bad life, though.

I can tell you the Silicon Valley machine is broken, and the biggest dead tree gonna fall is Tim Apple's deal.
Facebook traffic drying up, only being kept alive by Insta teens following the Kardashians, would not bet that will last forever.
Google is the only healthy outfit due it's lock on web advertising, but even those dollars are shifting to social networks which Google is shut out of.

Without the little hub of Silicon Valley Cali is broken and closed for business. Our small business is most definitely going to expand outside of the bay area, it's impossible to hire here, it's too expensive to hire here due to competition and engineers living costs. Every other small and growing business is in our shoes and looking to escape the constraints of this place.
Oh please. Companies rise and fall. Who cares? AI / automation innovation isn’t going to decline (unfortunately!). Silicon Valley was alive and booming long before Apple, Google, Facebook et al. I had friends in the computer industry back in the 60’s in Minneapolis working for 3-M, CDC, Honeywell and the like there - who moved one by one to Sunnyvale, San Jose, etc etc. 50 years ago. All smoking weed and basking in the California sunshine while evolving the future from mag-tape and punch card readers to what we have today.

Heh. Just for a quick trip down memory lane, I was in the printing business from my mid-teens ... then in active military for 7 years starting mid-1960’s ... then switched to reserves for rest of that career while I resumed printing in the 1970’s. As a printer I worked with typesetters and their automated evolution was dramatic. A Merganthaler typsetting computer I was attached to at one printing business was a vacuum tube and relay monster that read punch-coded paper tapes that were mechanically reeled across a magnetic head with little spring loaded metal fingers atop the readers (paper tape dragged between the fingers and the mag reader). Next generation of Merganthaler used a light reader in place of the metal fingers and switched to transistor logic boards instead of vacuum tubes ... but still utilized many mechanically shuttered glass optic lenses triggered by relays and loaded glass plate type fonts in front of the lenses (which magnified and distorted the font letters to sizes) and Xenon lamps to burn the type copy onto film that then had to be developed in a separate process ... etc etc etc. HUGE, expensive, complex machines that broke down constantly. By the time I closed my own little shop, not many years ago, I could copyfit, spec, design, layout a brochure or whatever from a little desktop Mac or even my cell phone better than those monsters of yore. Now can even send designs straight to copy machines or presses from the same Mac / phone.

None of that had anything to do with Facebook or Google surviving. I hate it, but AI isn’t going to reverse itself. And the areas of application are in every industry ... not just social media.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:58 AM

Nice trip down memory lane. I had my own experience with punch cards, and punch tape before that.

Well let's see what time tells. Hopefully are still around for the big I told you so that is coming to you. Or me.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:29 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,475,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post

I support Elizabeth Warren's proposal to break up big tech. It should be decentralized across the country and has been a huge burden on the region.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:30 PM

I'm on the fence. First of all I have an adverse reaction to anything Warren, but I do like the threat posed to FAAG so that they get a bit scared straight, and cut out the crap of violating privacy with reckless abandon. No such large market share organization can resist exercising monopoly reinforcing actions to competition. That's another reason to threaten seriously threaten break up.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:59 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
Sapce X is in Texas right now

also you cant have a Coke with star in calif due to politicians telling you stats are bad

alot of companies moved out of Calif not just for lower taxes but just got sick and tired of the BS the liberal leadership outs you through - and who likes paying 10 -11% income tax after you risk your life saving to start a business.

some like me said screw it- you win and i am out of here - not worth the bull**^ anymore

Years ago both San Francisco and, two counties to the south, Santa Clara County banned Happy Meals.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:22 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,475,166 times
This article seems to express the contrary.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...photo-17129494

Old 03-28-2019, 05:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,879,520 times
Oh another exodus thread????

Seems like each year new one's popup and yet California's population is approaching 40 Million,and also California's GDP is approaching $3 Trillion

Old 03-28-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerere View Post
So I'm sure you're putting your money where your mouth is and shorting FB and AAPL with a large portion of your net worth, right?
Fair question. Not playing equities, but how about having sold my home which was about 6 miles from AAPL HQ and not much farther away was Google HQ. I bet with my feet that we hit peak Silicon Valley. There will be some bright spots with some IPOs, maybe, we'll see how that goes.

I will say I don't see many high tech companies moving out of bay area, though. However, I do see companies *expanding* their presence outside of Bay area. You can't hire anybody competent anymore without paying a huge fortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California