Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 07:09 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times

Advertisements

So, we're flying to CA in early june from the east coast....here's our current Itin (driving) and i'm starting to wonder if there's a better city for us to go to than Palm Springs on our last leg of the trip:

Fly into LAX (rent car for the duration of the trip - Family of 5. three kids between 4 and 7 years old)
3 nights Orange County
1 night in Cambria (pass through monterey, drive up the coast...)
3 nights in San Francisco
1 night at the gates of Yosemite
4 nights in Yosemite Valley
1 night in Sequoia national park
3 nights in Palm Springs
fly out of LAX

everything up to and including Sequoia is confirmed and unchangeable. Any recommendation for the 3 nights we have afterwards, before flying out from LAX? can go anywhere....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 07:44 PM

999 posts, read 553,800 times
Is there a reason you want to avoid Palm Springs? It's one of my favorite spots in the state and very beautiful.

I'm guessing you want to avoid the heat maybe? June is going to be very hot. Early spring is a better time to visit.

If it was me, I'd personally just ride out the rest of time at Sequoia before heading back to LAX. It depends on what you're interested in. If you'll have your fill of mountains and nature by that point, head back to LA and enjoy a few days in the city (or visit Disney or Six Flags, Knotts Berry Farm, etc) before flying home. Or, if like me, you can't get enough time in the mountains, just stay longer in the Sequoias.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:57 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Unless there's a reason you've soured on Palm Springs, I'd add a day in Sequoia, then still use the other two nights in Palm Springs. That will give you a full day in the desert. It'll be warm out in the desert in June, sure, but that's part of the fun of the desert, and if you get an early start, you'll be fine.

You might use that day to drive through Joshua Tree National Park, which is about an hour from Palm Springs. Get an early start, drive through the park, get out of the car a few times to check things out. Have lunch at the 29 Palms Inn in 29 Palms (lunch closes at 2:00) Joshua Tree is worth visiting, and it is a good contrast to the National Parks farther north.

Or, just relax in Palm Springs. Maybe do a little shopping, take a nap in the heat of the day to rest up for your trip home, and treat yourself to a great farewell-to-California dinner.

Allow at least two hours to LAX from Palm Springs given LA traffic. For that reason, you might want to think about spending your last night closer to LAX.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:53 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
You need to realize that it takes a minimum of 2 1/2 hours to get from Palm Springs to LAX. Add an extra 2 hours if you go during rush hour. What day of the week and what time are you flying out? This is VERY important.

Spending the last day closer to LAX is a good idea.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:08 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
So, we're flying to CA in early june from the east coast....here's our current Itin (driving) and i'm starting to wonder if there's a better city for us to go to than Palm Springs on our last leg of the trip:

Fly into LAX (rent car for the duration of the trip - Family of 5. three kids between 4 and 7 years old)
3 nights Orange County
1 night in Cambria (pass through monterey, drive up the coast...)
3 nights in San Francisco
1 night at the gates of Yosemite
4 nights in Yosemite Valley
1 night in Sequoia national park
3 nights in Palm Springs
fly out of LAX

everything up to and including Sequoia is confirmed and unchangeable. Any recommendation for the 3 nights we have afterwards, before flying out from LAX? can go anywhere....
One overall comment first: note that we get a lot of "June Gloom" that time of year so the coast can often be shrouded in fog. Many days the marine layer won't even burn off. So that otherwise gorgeous drive up the coast might not be so great.

I assume with three kids you are spending 3 nights in Orange County for Disneyland?

Not sure I'd pick Palm Springs for 3 nights with kids age 4 to 7. I just don't think there are a ton of kids activities in P.S. In recent years, Palm Springs has been known for "gays and grays" as far as the key demographics it serves. There are a few things to do that might appeal to kids: Joshua Tree National Park, tram ride up Mt. San Jacinto and the Children's discovery center.

Don't know if you have spent time in Los Angeles before but since you are leaving from LAX, there are lots of kid and non-kid oriented things to do in Los Angeles. Yes, it can be a bit of a beast of a city for tourists but worth considering with this list of kid activities in LA:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...alifornia.html

Old 04-06-2019, 03:34 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I would skip Palm Springs and spend the time in Los Angeles. One day could be a beach and scenic drive day around the South Bay. Another day could be spent in Griffith Park and the LA Zoo. One could also do a kid friendly museum day at the California Science Center and Huntington Gardens.

Also here is more info from a previous post.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:56 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Not sure I'd pick Palm Springs for 3 nights with kids age 4 to 7. I just don't think there are a ton of kids activities in P.S.
Kids of those ages will most likely spend their entire days in the hotel swimming pool, or at least that's what ours used to do when we went to Palm Springs. It doesn't take a lot to keep kids of those ages happy.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:50 AM

764 posts, read 2,037,178 times
Another option is Sanra Barbara/Ventura. Beaches, SB zoo, the missions, etc.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:42 PM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times
If you do stay in Palm Springs, take your kids to the Living Desert. You have to go early because they close early in hot weather, but it's worth it.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:12 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
It’s hot in Palm Springs in June. How about staying near Surf City, aka Huntington Beach. Kids get to play in the sands. Closer to LAX than Palm Springs.
If you are not too far from Mammoth, I’ll do Mammoth lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California