Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 09:08 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Here's an article about a couple who lives on a boat in the Bay area. They paid $300,000 for their boat in 2005. Last year, they were paying $900 a month for their slip fee, plus electric and other costs, which they said can add as much as $300 a month. (I know Tulemutt probably lives on his boat for far less, but he's not regularly berthing in San Francisco either. )

But the article may give you some ideas about living on a boat full time in SF: https://www.businessinsider.com/coup...rd-the-boat-19

Question: do you already have experience living on a boat or houseboat?

If not, you might want to see if you can find a local marina in Alabama and ask if they can put you in touch with someone who currently lives on a boat, so you can get an idea of what is involved. Then, call a few marinas in the Bay area (pretty easy to find them online these days) to ask about costs and availability of slips, and whether they ever get boats available for rent, not purchase.

I think you may find that it isn't going to be easy to rent a boat, or even find a spot in a marina that allows live aboards, in an expensive area like the Bay area, but I could be wrong.

Also, have you looked at the admissions website for UCSF or been in touch with their office? I bet they could answer your questions about what types of housing is available to students in the program (such as how easy it is to find roommates), and what kind of costs to expect for your future planning purposes.

Good luck!
I don't think the boat idea will be necessary. If the OP plays his cards right, he'll be able to get a decent job after his BA, rent a room in a shared house, and commute like a normal person. As to UCSF (if he's accepted), there's a Chinese slumlord that rents out houses and apartments as shared living space to students in the area (judging by his occasional listings on C-list). The OP could get a room with a roommate for less than half the going rate of a standard room, or less. If he wants to put up with sharing a room with someone, like in a dorm.

I'd like to see a degree nearly in hand from the OP, before making any more plans. I think the houseboat inquiry was a desperate and uninformed attempt to find cheap housing after hearing how expensive the Bay Area is. The OP is a long way from needing housing in CA at this point, though. Let's wait until his biology BA is well underway, he's enjoying some success in his classes, has found an internship, and returns to us triumphant. Then we can all cheer, when he graduates, and help him launch the CA phase of his life.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 09:11 AM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think the boat idea will be necessary. If the OP plays his cards right, he'll be able to get a decent job after his BA, rent a room in a shared house, and commute like a normal person. As to UCSF (if he's accepted), there's a Chinese slumlord that rents out houses and apartments as shared living space to students in the area (judging by his occasional listings on C-list). The OP could get a room with a roommate for less than half the going rate of a standard room, or less. If he wants to put up with sharing a room with someone, like in a dorm.

I'd like to see a degree nearly in hand from the OP, before making any more plans. I think the houseboat inquiry was a desperate and uninformed attempt to find cheap housing after hearing how expensive the Bay Area is. The OP is a long way from needing housing in CA at this point, though. Let's wait until his biology BA is well underway, he's enjoying some success in his classes, has found an internship, and returns to us triumphant. Then we can all cheer, when he graduates, and help him launch the CA phase of his life.
Right. IF the OP is for real

Old 06-06-2019, 09:18 AM

21,728 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Just a heads up, Mutt, but the poster is planning to commute to UCSF Dental School. Any other suggestions?
Holy traffic nightmare (hwy4) to UCSF Dental from the Delta!

Meanwhile, observation about the boat liveaboards you mentioned. At $900 a month slip rental I would estimate they were probably on a boat of about 40’ + in loa, plus several hundred $ a month liveaboard fee upcharge. That’s not a small boat. (I live on a 24 footer.). But most folks would find 40’ x 8’ or 10’ beam very tight quarters if they’re not boaters, historically. Because of hull and equipment constraints, 40’ x 8’ in a sailboat would be about similar to living in a 20’ rv trailer ... power boats have more space than sailboats so about equivalent to maybe a 25’ or so rv trailer.

For a small cadre of nutcases, like me, living on a boat is the perfect lifestyle. For 99.9% of the population, it would be a nightmare.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 PM

21 posts, read 21,155 times
Many thanks to everyone's input, very true I'm just starting out but you all have made it easier to know what I should be doing and glad I have join this formula.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student huynh View Post
Many thanks to everyone's input, very true I'm just starting out but you all have made it easier to know what I should be doing and glad I have join this formula.
You're back! I thought we'd lost you. I'm glad we could help. Good luck with your studies! Give us an update occasionally, as you make your way through your undergrad program.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:49 AM

Somehow the school had kicked me put of an online class there fault so I had to remake up days whose was crazy becuase minisessio, also oddly o saw this add on Craigslist but what u guys think is this one one area delta bay marina,? Alsp although in in for a long school process, I do hope to learn more from u guys, I have also made another post about cheapest place to stay in californa, theres some history about me if you guys wanna just throw in your 2 cents and help or give me something to improve. Much thanks for the positiveness, makes online and californa people way nicer then where I am from

Old 06-13-2019, 09:51 AM

Ruth4Truth, you are the man and hopefully I will continue to learn from your wisdom!! U are one of those hidden heros !!! Truly admirable!

Old 06-13-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by student huynh View Post
Somehow the school had kicked me put of an online class there fault so I had to remake up days whose was crazy becuase minisessio, also oddly o saw this add on Craigslist but what u guys think is this one one area delta bay marina,? Alsp although in in for a long school process, I do hope to learn more from u guys, I have also made another post about cheapest place to stay in californa, theres some history about me if you guys wanna just throw in your 2 cents and help or give me something to improve. Much thanks for the positiveness, makes online and californa people way nicer then where I am from
Delta--no. Too far from UCSF. Forgetaboutit. Focus on your current program, and completing your BA. That will keep you busy for at least 2 more years.

And I'm not a "man" or a "sir". I'm a "ma'am".

Carry on.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 PM

Oh very sorry, and thankyou for your generosity, it kind of explained why there was more response, also I was considering this sometime in my 3rd semester even though I'm in Alabama I still get find a lease anywhere in califrona to have my name starting to get my residency, sure its gonna be rent for not living there. But if it's a lease that is possible close to around 280 or a bit more its money that's given free to someone that is just willing to have me on the lease of the home, what would you think if that's ok? Hopefully not illegal becuase I will change my adress to there and go there later just not while in school, therefore I would be a out of state student but becuase I lived in Alabama I dont think the school will put me at out of state student until a year out. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California