Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 12:52 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,748,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
As much as people hate California more than ever for their laws, high COL, it's leaders tactics and approaches on issues, do you think it's still California Dreamin' ? I've only had a short visit near Aspen, through LA outskirts and hiked some in NorCal. I prefer north to south overall so far , and don't agree with some things. I'd still choose to live in northern Ca if given a choice on where to live long term.

What are your thoughts?
It depends on where you live and how much money you make. If you can afford to live away from crowds or not commute to work (like me), it's better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 01:17 PM

85 posts, read 70,940 times
The old California that was growing like crazy is long gone.... The current California is nice if you were grandfathered in, you can afford it here, or you're one hard working sob (this assuming you want to live in Coastal California that is).....

Old 07-07-2020, 01:18 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
It depends on where you live and how much money you make. If you can afford to live away from crowds or not commute to work (like me), it's better.
Voila! Exhibit A.

And the dream may have become all the more accessible, now that working from home has become more widespread and acceptable.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:19 PM

440 posts, read 240,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
https://www.ocregister.com/2019/10/3...ved-a-38-jump/

Those are pretty much my thoughts. Most wage earners who can find jobs outside of the state are simply leaving. Those who are tied to the state (state workers, welfare takers), usually stay. California's population is only sustained through birth rates, and even then, mostly centered in one particular demographic. I'll let you guess which one based on the politics of the state.

If you're rich (we're talking at least over $5 million net worth), none of this really matters.

For anyone making south of 100k, the "California Dream" doesn't really exist anymore.

Now the state is facing a near $60 billion budget deficit and 7 million unemployment claims. Major cities in the state are defunding their police. I predict crime will rise shortly. Sounds kind of like a nightmare to me.
Prior to Covid, California had a $50 Billion surplus, and unemployment quite low.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:25 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy49 View Post
Prior to Covid, California had a $50 Billion surplus, and unemployment quite low.
The California state government's revenue structure is heavily dependent on taxing capital gains and high salaries. These wild swings in revenue always happen with a recession.

The test for a government is whether they can save money during the good times to spend during the bad. This is especially true for California given how pro-cyclic its revenues are.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:28 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,656,346 times
I am still scratching my head over people long ago as industrial revolution intially ramped up, that decided living in small cracker box eating cheapest crappiest food they could find/afford and laboring 12hr a day in mind numbing hard labor was better than rural life they previously had. Course guess it mostly depended on whether you were a free lander or serf/tenant laborer. Free lander lifestyle always been way to go if you could grow enough food for your family and pay your yearly tribute to the king to remain a free lander.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:38 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I am still scratching my head over people long ago as industrial revolution intially ramped up, that decided living in small cracker box eating cheapest crappiest food they could find/afford and laboring 12hr a day in mind numbing hard labor was better than rural life they previously had. Course guess it mostly depended on whether you were a free lander or serf/tenant laborer. Free lander lifestyle always been way to go if you could grow enough food for your family and pay your yearly tribute to the king to remain a free lander.
I have relatives who own a family farm. Subsistence farming is a terrible life. Dull and dangerous. Who pays if you need medical care? You need to generate a surplus.

Same relatives own about $1 million worth of land and close to another million in equipment. All built up over decades, and the land for over a century. With all of that they barely hang on, and also work 14 hour days. Farming is a hard, hard life.

People move to the city for opportunity. Even with less space and higher costs, most are able to save more in a city than in a rural area. Cities are also more fun. Suburbs are the best places for kids.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:59 PM

295 posts, read 143,747 times
Nearly Same Amount of People Move to California as Move Away
By Kiki Intarasuwan • Published January 3, 2019 • Updated on January 3, 2019 at 9:12 am

Nearly the same amount of Californians are moving out of state as the number of people moving into the state, according to a new study.

United Van Lines’ National Movers Study found that 54.4 percent of movers are leaving the Golden State and 45.6 of them are settling in, and it may come as no surprise that the majority of people moving in and out make $150,000 or more per year.

The study tracked people's primary reason for moving and 62.49 percent of inbound movers said the reason was for a job. The majority of outbound movers, 41.19 percent, also moved for their career.

it appears that higher earners are moving out too and younger ones in search of those high paying jobsA highly detailed study by two Stanford University economists, Joshua Rauh and Ryan Shyu, provides new fuel for debate over California’s dependency on the rich. They conclude that the out-migration and “behavioral responses” of high-income taxpayers increased markedly after voters approved Proposition 30, a 2012 measure that sharply increased their income taxes, and the effect was a reduction in net revenues to the state

it appears high earners are taking there money out more than moving in - but we already knew that and the politicians keep on finding ways to steal more and more every day - and the substantial number of retiring leaving and taking three 401k and SEP accounts with them to will reduce even move revenue from the stealing bastards in Sacramento in the next few years when mandatory withdrawals take place.

i wonder how many hamburger flipper jobs you have to have to even fill your gas tanks in a few more years? i guess you can but a 80k tesla and plug it in but trust me the stealers will find a way to grab a piece of that pie too

Old 07-11-2020, 06:09 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,307,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The California dream is to have bought your house a couple of decades ago.
Exactly. These are some of the only people and their offspring that enjoy life in the golden state. The ones that bought and paid off their family homes in the 80's 90's.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:44 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,785,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happly retired View Post
Nearly Same Amount of People Move to California as Move Away
By Kiki Intarasuwan • Published January 3, 2019 • Updated on January 3, 2019 at 9:12 am

Nearly the same amount of Californians are moving out of state as the number of people moving into the state, according to a new study.

United Van Lines’ National Movers Study found that 54.4 percent of movers are leaving the Golden State and 45.6 of them are settling in, and it may come as no surprise that the majority of people moving in and out make $150,000 or more per year.

The study tracked people's primary reason for moving and 62.49 percent of inbound movers said the reason was for a job. The majority of outbound movers, 41.19 percent, also moved for their career.

it appears that higher earners are moving out too and younger ones in search of those high paying jobsA highly detailed study by two Stanford University economists, Joshua Rauh and Ryan Shyu, provides new fuel for debate over California’s dependency on the rich. They conclude that the out-migration and “behavioral responses” of high-income taxpayers increased markedly after voters approved Proposition 30, a 2012 measure that sharply increased their income taxes, and the effect was a reduction in net revenues to the state

it appears high earners are taking there money out more than moving in - but we already knew that and the politicians keep on finding ways to steal more and more every day - and the substantial number of retiring leaving and taking three 401k and SEP accounts with them to will reduce even move revenue from the stealing bastards in Sacramento in the next few years when mandatory withdrawals take place.

i wonder how many hamburger flipper jobs you have to have to even fill your gas tanks in a few more years? i guess you can but a 80k tesla and plug it in but trust me the stealers will find a way to grab a piece of that pie too
Wait, I have always been told that only the poor are leaving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California