Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 10:42 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,549,834 times

Advertisements

Commuting to Palmdale is reasonable. Bakersfield is out of the question though. The Grapevine will murder your car in a month.

When I worked in Alhambra, I worked with a few people from Palmdale and Lancaster. One of my nurses at Cedars in Beverly Hills lived in Acton, near Palmdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 06:39 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,748,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Commuting to Palmdale is reasonable.
Maybe true, but you don’t wanna live in the high desert. Haven’t been to Palmdale in a while but if it’s anything like Victorville it’s super depressing and run down and gross. It’s not worth moving to California if that’s where you have to live.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:05 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanaDro13 View Post
When the Real estate market looks to good to be true I must question the locals before my move from Florida to California. My new job starts in West Hollywood next year but the LA area is SUPER expensive. My research shows areas like Bakersfield and Palmdale to have affordable housing and not too far of a commute to West Hollywood. I need any advice, knowledge and recommendations from yall! Thank You!!
Bakersfield to West Hollywood? As mentioned...totally out of the question. Don't even consider that option. It's not an option.

Palmdale to West Hollywood? Depends on your work hours. It will be a difficult commute at any time. Only advice on Palmdale..."west of the freeway". Look at Rancho Vista or Quartz Hill.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-16-2019, 12:07 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Maybe true, but you don’t wanna live in the high desert. Haven’t been to Palmdale in a while but if it’s anything like Victorville it’s super depressing and run down and gross. It’s not worth moving to California if that’s where you have to live.
You need to visit Palmdale before you shoot your mouth off on something you know NOTHING about.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:56 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,535,982 times
I grew up in Palmdale and it was very common for parents to commute "down below" every day. My best friends dad has taught at Hollywood High School for like 30 years and he's lived in the AV that entire time. Growing up I thought commutes of 60-90 minutes was normal, and I did it myself many times. Not the most fun thing in the world but throw on a podcast or audiobook or something and it isn't too bad. Santa Clarita, Acton, and Canyon Country are all closer to LA and nicer areas than the AV imo.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:36 AM

296 posts, read 266,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
When I worked at Raytheon in Goleta, there was a dude there who worked a 4X10 week and he commuted daily from RIVERSIDE! He got up at 1:30 AM and worked like 6-430 or something like that.
I was working in Irvine and there was a dude who commuted from Camarillo.
When I was at Hughes in El Segundo there were folks who took a commuter van from the Riverside area. They met at 3:45 am, the drive was intended to get them there for a shift that started at 6 am. They left at 3, got back to the pickup spot at 4:30 or 5 pm. They said they had time to go home and eat and relax a little the. Try to get to sleep early so they were able to do it again the next day.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:40 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
I grew up in Palmdale and it was very common for parents to commute "down below" every day. My best friends dad has taught at Hollywood High School for like 30 years and he's lived in the AV that entire time.
Traffic was completely different back then in Los Angeles County and there were far fewer commuters. (You could actually drive from Pasadena to Santa Monica and expect to get there in about a half hour.)

Old 09-16-2019, 12:13 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Traffic was completely different back then in Los Angeles County and there were far fewer commuters. (You could actually drive from Pasadena to Santa Monica and expect to get there in about a half hour.)
In 1985 I drove from Santa Clarita to Long Beach on the 405, arrived at the job in LB at 6am... and I did not see another vehicle the entire trip. Not one.

Back then I used to occasionally drive back from Anaheim at 2am, and likewise would often see no other traffic whatsoever, not even through downtown. That's a really nice drive when you have it all to yourself!

I may be the last man on Earth to ever see either freeway corridor entirely vacant.

Now, even at 3AM it's full to the gills. Maybe not jammed up, but plenty of traffic.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:54 AM

275 posts, read 421,853 times
It has been nearly a year. What did you choose?

The commute from/to Bakersfield would be about 100 miles each way. The commute from/to Palmdale would be about 60 miles each way.

Many people use public transportation for commutes such as from/to Palmdale. There is the Antelope Valley Transit Authority and Metrolink. Essentially the only option for commuting from/to Bakersfield is Greyhound bus. If you can afford Santa Clarita then it is half as far along the same path as Palmdale and has the same public transportation options.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:53 PM

545 posts, read 514,298 times
Only possible option is the Metroline (commuter rail) with a station in Lancaster

then you would have to take it downtown and take the proposed subway toward WeHo

but that subway is years out

The prices in Palmdale are cheap for a reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California