Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2020, 12:46 PM

1,156 posts, read 986,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Every state is struggling right now, you can focus on California if you like but it sure seems a little disingenuous given your proclivity to criticize California whenever you have the opportunity.

Regarding the nursing home problem, what would you have suggested, where should those people have been sent? They were discharged from hospitals and didn't have family willing to take them in. I'm not sure what the answer is, maybe nursing homes should hire trained staff and pay more attention to cleanliness of the facilities?
https://www.propublica.org/article/n...rus-to-explode

Regarding the $500 per family for illegals, well they have to eat too and many of them lost their jobs and don't quality for most welfare programs. Most residents of California don't begrudge them getting that money. And don't try to make it sound like it seriously impacted school funding there is $103.4 billion in the budget for schools
Whatever. Keep living isolated in your house. It wasn’t my job to figure out what to do with the nursing homes, but it was pretty clear something should have been done. How about the navy ships that were sent to LA and New York. They were barely used.

Love your response. Yeah, I constantly criticize Ca. What are you talking about? This is a Ca forum, and I live here, so what. Of course, I’m going to criticize Newsom for this along with Cuomo, Murphy, and the PA Governor. Any governor that took the lockdowns to another level but missed the nursing home issue.

Plenty of blame to go around based on this map. The difference is some governors/mayors acted like condescending authoritarian dictators and tried to grab as much power as they could.

https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nurs...s-3a47433c3f70

Yeah, you’re right, $3M isn’t a big deal, but you missed the point that $75M was spent on people here illegally, and quite frankly shouldn’t get a dime when there’s $3M that’s being held back. I’m sure there are many more millions as well that should be spent toward schools versus giving to illegals. Just in the six years, property taxes have gone up 0.5% for various school bonds here in Albany, yet he has no problem giving away $75M. Well, at least we know where the citizens fall on the totem pole in Ca. I don’t begrudge them, I begrudge Newsom for giving it to them. But, you’re happy, you’re sitting in your house enjoying life not needing to worry about business owners who are suffering. It’s very telling.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:20 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
At this point you can't "eject Newsom", you have to keep him in place as a lesson to future generations. California has been in need of a huge reboot since 2000. The "Brown/Pelosi/Newsom/Getty" dynasty will take full responsibility for the economic disaster of California. To insert anyone else would be unfair to that individual.

People need to learn that there are consequences to running a state with an extremely unfriendly business environment, taxing individuals to poverty, and forcing taxpayers to pay for illegal alien entitlement.

Remember, Covid-19 isn't the "cause" here, it just exposed the overall weakness of the house of cards that California Democrats have built over the past two decades.
Also good points.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:18 PM

735 posts, read 452,202 times
Newsom is the reason why CA is doing well during this pandemic. It's funny that all the people who complain about CA and its politics wouldn't move to the Red States. Most Democrats wouldn't live in the Red States, and complain about it, but there're plenty of Republicans would live in the big Blue States like CA or NY and keep complaining. They want all the benefits the big Blue States offer like good air, good economy, good water, good parks/schools but not the taxes. You can't have it all!

Old 05-26-2020, 06:14 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post
Newsom is the reason why CA is doing well during this pandemic. It's funny that all the people who complain about CA and its politics wouldn't move to the Red States. Most Democrats wouldn't live in the Red States, and complain about it, but there're plenty of Republicans would live in the big Blue States like CA or NY and keep complaining. They want all the benefits the big Blue States offer like good air, good economy, good water, good parks/schools but not the taxes. You can't have it all!

I never carried much for Newsom and that goes back to his time as mayor of SF. I left the choice governor blank on my ballot in 2018. (sort of like my 2016 for President ballot)

Having stated that, I think Newsom has been doing a good job in regard to California's response to the pandemic. Maybe not perfect.......but, who has been?? What I am not seeing from Newsom, is blaming others, surrounding himself with toadies, claiming to be a "genius" or BS tweets that a are frankly a embarrassment

Old 05-26-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Having stated that, I think Newsom has been doing a good job in regard to California's response to the pandemic. Maybe not perfect.......but, who has been??
Yeah, even tho I'm not a fan (far from it) -- from what I've seen his response seems to have been among the best of the Democrat governors. Some GOPs have done better, but were perhaps also blessed with less-difficult states.

Except for that bit about giving stimulus money to illegal aliens... uh, no. Go sit in the corner until you figure out which country you're a citizen of, and why that matters.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:31 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,635,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post
California and New York are honestly some of my favorite states, but not for those reasons. The economy is pretty similar in almost all states. Just CA and NY are very beautiful in some areas. California used to be a mildly red state back in the 80s and it was arguably the best state in the whole country. Liberals have ruined a lot of the state, and I don't want it to be ruined anymore. We need to make California great again. I honestly am not a fan of NYC at all, but love some of the places in Upstate NY like Glens Falls/Queensbury Area. Also I love the area near the Bear Mountain Bridge over the Hudson River. Honestly I'll tell you if the taxes I was paying I know are being used for the services being provided like good water and a good environment, I wouldn't mind paying a little higher taxes as long as they don't get out of hand, but what bothers me is the taxes that go to places like illegal immigrants and abortion clinics, etc. I do not want my money going to these things, understand?

I must say that I am a very strong far right conservative, but one thing I do value that many conservatives don't is the environment and I am happy to pay a little higher taxes for a good environment, but that is pretty much it. I'll admit, I hate all this deforestation going on that Trump has been trying to push, etc. I hate public schools anyway and much prefer private schools. Anything else that the liberals try to tax us on is not worth my money, and technically I don't need the other services that liberals want to provide. Or maybe one other thing, public transportation but that's it.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:23 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
California and New York are honestly some of my favorite states, but not for those reasons. The economy is pretty similar in almost all states. Just CA and NY are very beautiful in some areas. California used to be a mildly red state back in the 80s and it was arguably the best state in the whole country. Liberals have ruined a lot of the state, and I don't want it to be ruined anymore. We need to make California great again. I honestly am not a fan of NYC at all, but love some of the places in Upstate NY like Glens Falls/Queensbury Area. Also I love the area near the Bear Mountain Bridge over the Hudson River. Honestly I'll tell you if the taxes I was paying I know are being used for the services being provided like good water and a good environment, I wouldn't mind paying a little higher taxes as long as they don't get out of hand, but what bothers me is the taxes that go to places like illegal immigrants and abortion clinics, etc. I do not want my money going to these things, understand?

I must say that I am a very strong far right conservative, but one thing I do value that many conservatives don't is the environment and I am happy to pay a little higher taxes for a good environment, but that is pretty much it. I'll admit, I hate all this deforestation going on that Trump has been trying to push, etc. I hate public schools anyway and much prefer private schools. Anything else that the liberals try to tax us on is not worth my money, and technically I don't need the other services that liberals want to provide. Or maybe one other thing, public transportation but that's it.
You don’t say! Never would have guessed just reading your posts

Old 05-27-2020, 08:29 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You live in Virginia and your only connection to the state is the fact that your kids are hired every summer to work in some kind of summer camp in California. There is nothing Gavin Newsom or John Cox or anyone else could do that would have resulted in those summer camps being safe enough to remain open. 83% of Californian's support Gavin Newsom so your steady stream of criticism isn't really received warmly by most residents.
Thank you, 2sleepy. These anti-CA rants are almost always driven by red-state trolls with a bad case of conspiracy theory-itis and wishful thinking. I gotta wonder how many of the signatures on these "petitions" are from people who live in CA.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:37 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
He [Trump] should've tried to make the state great again
Please, please keep the current occupant of the white house from making anything "great" again. The one true thing that I remember him saying was that we (the nation) "are going to be so sick and tired of winning." I've been tired for four years, and as he predicted, now we are sick too!

If he manages to steal the election again in 2020, thank God for places like CA where it just might be safe to shelter from the impending fascism.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
I gotta wonder how many of the signatures on these "petitions" are from people who live in CA.
Sigs on actual paper petitions? All of 'em, since every signature is collected on the spot and has to be validated to a California address; otherwise it doesn't count. (How accurately they're validated, I dunno, but it has to be at least as good as the voter rolls.)

Online petitions, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California