Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 01:07 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,711,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What? Since when does a family of 5 qualify for welfare on a salary of $90-100 K in San Luis Obispo county? We are not talking about living in Brentwood or Newport Beach.
That poster left the area long ago and is clearly bitter about it. I would take the entire post with an enormous grain of salt, like any typical sour-grapes California-basher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 04:38 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,766,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
90-100K is doable for a family of five, but it will be tight. Your going to be Buying a two bedroom condo in Grover City or Oceano and kids will be in bunk beds. I think you might be on the edge of public assistance with 5 people in the household, so look into being on welfare and food stamps. Might as well get some tax payer money. I lived in that area for over 50 years and finally made my escape last year to another state. Best thing I ever did. SLO county is a nice area with great weather if you like to do stuff outdoors. But in the last five years it’s really gone down hill from what it used to be as I was growing up. Lots of homeless bums moving in and more on the way. Traffic is getting insane, daily traffic jam on the 101 going north to SLO and going south in the afternoon. Mostly driven by the wage slaves pouring out of Santa Maria, the most affordable housing in the area, to service the elite in SLO city. I could go on about how where I was as a kid we could shoot guns, ride motorcycles, camp, hike, build forts, 4x4, hunt, ect. but all that area is now cookie cutter homes, McMansions, golf courses, paved roads and no trespassing signs. Bottom line, it’s very expensive, the infrastructure is stretched to capacity, and it’s crowded with refugees from Los Angeles, the Valley and the Bay Area. And all the problems you have with a dense population and over regulation and........ it will just get worse.
Total BS. You're doing the OP a disservice. Ignore this poster.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:45 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,626,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Total BS. You're doing the OP a disservice. Ignore this poster.
The whole food stamps thing is BS but I do think there are some points here. Traffic can be pretty bad on the stretch from SLO into 5 cities. $100K is a nice salary for one but nothing great for a family in the area. Especially a large family. It comes down to what is the OP looking for house wise? Is condo living acceptable? Unless the OP goes all the way north to Paso (not a terrible option but not ideal) or down south to Santa Maria/Orcutt (even less ideal), they are looking at 500K easy for a single family home. That would be stretched pretty thin on only 100K. Hopefully monthly health care premiums are low and not eating $1000 or more a month?

Old 02-01-2020, 08:48 AM

24,411 posts, read 27,025,921 times
SLO is beautiful, but hippy culture seems to be really big there, so if you are impatient at all, you might go crazy. Every employee I experienced worked and spoke in slow motion as if they were all high lol. People seemed friendly though, just so slow.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:12 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
The whole food stamps thing is BS but I do think there are some points here. Traffic can be pretty bad on the stretch from SLO into 5 cities. $100K is a nice salary for one but nothing great for a family in the area. Especially a large family. It comes down to what is the OP looking for house wise? Is condo living acceptable? Unless the OP goes all the way north to Paso (not a terrible option but not ideal) or down south to Santa Maria/Orcutt (even less ideal), they are looking at 500K easy for a single family home. That would be stretched pretty thin on only 100K. Hopefully monthly health care premiums are low and not eating $1000 or more a month?
Well, there's some important info missing from the OP. Is he currently a homeowner, with potential equity to put into a downpayment? That's pretty key info. And someone said, that on his salary, the kids would have to share a bunk bed. Is that such a horrible fate? lol. And yeah--would a townhome be acceptable?

Is the OP still with us on the thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California