Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do people overplay the cultural difference between San Diego and Orange County?
Yes 7 35.00%
No 13 65.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 08:09 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,973,723 times

Advertisements

People keep saying that Orange County is a rat race and that San Diego County has a much slower pace of life, has a different culture.

I really think it's overplayed. Irvine/South Orange County is very, very similar to places like Scripps Ranch, Rancho Bernardo, Carmel Valley, Del Mar, Carlsbad, and Chula Vista. I've lived in Irvine/South OC most of my life and I've stayed at my parents' place in Rancho Bernardo for several months. The weather is the same, the beach vibe is the same, the scenery is the same, the amount of traffic is the same.

I've never gotten why people think Orange County is faster paced than San Diego. Sure, there's fast-paced, competitive, career-driven, education-obsessed areas of Orange County like Irvine. But you could say the same thing about Rancho Bernardo, Black Mountain Ranch, Carmel Valley, etc. in San Diego. Sure, there's relaxed, beach communities in San Diego--Carlsbad, Oceanside, etc. But you could say the same thing about Huntington, Laguna Beach, San Clemente, etc.

And then you have people who say how San Diego County has less traffic than Orange County. Now, Greater San Diego DOES have much less traffic than Greater LA for sure. And yes, OC is part of Greater LA. BUT most of the worst congestion in Greater LA is concentrated in LA County, and some in the Inland Empire. Orange County is much, much better traffic-wise than LA County. So the difference between OC and SD county in terms of traffic is actually minimal.

If there are any key differences between SD County and Orange County, it's the fact that San Diego County has an actual big city, an actual walkable downtown with skyscrapers and a bigger airport. It's that San Diego County has a desert portion. It's that Orange County has more Hispanics and Asians. And, that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 08:21 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,914,162 times
Orange County has roughly the same number of people living in 1/5 the area of San Diego County, you think a “little” thing like that is not going to have an effect on the perceived and real dynamics of a place? OC is a master planned community developed within an inch of the very few square miles of remaining arroyos. A place with no center or city and thus where the status of the car you drive and the gate guarded community in which you reside means everything.

San Diego County is a mix of rural, suburban and a densely urban city at its core with a much more varied populous and diverse economy. The two places are very different except the worst boring suburbs of SD county resemble somewhat the standard fare of everything that is OC.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:38 PM

14,355 posts, read 11,747,643 times
I kind of agree with Jester this time. I see them more as a continuum than two places with totally different cultures and identities. Of course there are plenty of things things that San Diego Co. has that OC doesn't, and vice versa to a lesser extent. But life in north OC (where I grew up) isn't significantly different from life in a suburb in a comparable part of San Diego County, say, Vista (where my brother-in-law grew up). Demographically, the difference between 31% Hispanic (San Diego) and 34% Hispanic (OC) is trivial in my opinion. (OC does have a lot more Asians, granted, concentrated in a few areas.) By no means are all people from OC obsessed with wealth or status. People from other parts of the country or world would probably find a person from OC and one from San Diego to be indistinguishably "Southern Californian." To say these two counties are culturally very different is quite a stretch.

Last edited by saibot; 02-20-2020 at 10:05 PM..

Old 02-20-2020, 10:38 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,697,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
People keep saying that Orange County is a rat race and that San Diego County has a much slower pace of life, has a different culture.

I really think it's overplayed. Irvine/South Orange County is very, very similar to places like Scripps Ranch, Rancho Bernardo, Carmel Valley, Del Mar, Carlsbad, and Chula Vista. I've lived in Irvine/South OC most of my life and I've stayed at my parents' place in Rancho Bernardo for several months. The weather is the same, the beach vibe is the same, the scenery is the same, the amount of traffic is the same.

I've never gotten why people think Orange County is faster paced than San Diego. Sure, there's fast-paced, competitive, career-driven, education-obsessed areas of Orange County like Irvine. But you could say the same thing about Rancho Bernardo, Black Mountain Ranch, Carmel Valley, etc. in San Diego. Sure, there's relaxed, beach communities in San Diego--Carlsbad, Oceanside, etc. But you could say the same thing about Huntington, Laguna Beach, San Clemente, etc.

And then you have people who say how San Diego County has less traffic than Orange County. Now, Greater San Diego DOES have much less traffic than Greater LA for sure. And yes, OC is part of Greater LA. BUT most of the worst congestion in Greater LA is concentrated in LA County, and some in the Inland Empire. Orange County is much, much better traffic-wise than LA County. So the difference between OC and SD county in terms of traffic is actually minimal.

If there are any key differences between SD County and Orange County, it's the fact that San Diego County has an actual big city, an actual walkable downtown with skyscrapers and a bigger airport. It's that San Diego County has a desert portion. It's that Orange County has more Hispanics and Asians. And, that's it.
OC actually has less traffic congestion than either LA, San Diego, or the Bay Area:

2019-20 Orange County Community Indicators
https://www.ocbc.org/wp-content/uplo...091219-WEB.pdf

However, OC is far more densely populated than SD County, and that factor alone really does change the dynamics between the two. Also, let's not forget the presence of military bases in SD. So, one would expect substantive differences between OC and SD.

Nevertheless, contrary to stereotypes, OC's cities do vary quite a bit. For example, Huntington Beach is nothing like Lake Forest; Irvine is not similar to San Juan Capistrano; Laguna Hills is very different from Fullerton; Mission Viejo could never be mistaken for Garden Grove; Tustin is unlike Stanton; Laguna Beach bears no similarities to Anaheim, etc.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:01 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,763,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Who are these people you always refer to?

Old 02-21-2020, 12:10 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,707,491 times
I think the starker contrast exists between north and south Orange County, to be honest.
South Orange County is very "master planned" feeling. Northern OC feels more LA-ish to me and older. Southern OC seems far removed from LA and newer and cleaner.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:27 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,464,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
South Orange County is very "master planned" feeling. Northern OC feels more LA-ish to me and older. Southern OC seems far removed from LA and newer and cleaner.
Actually South OC is status-conscious because of the general Greater L.A. "Hollywood" influence--not laid back like S.D.--and it does cost a fortune to maintain appearances. The only similarities it shares with S.D. is it's moderate Republicanism and the suburban sprawled layout (unlike the density of the L.A. Basin and neighboring valleys).

Just go to Fashion Island and gawk at the mega-mansions above in Newport Coast, on the hills across the mall. Yet the inland South Coast Mall is the center luxury mall for the whole county.

Old 02-21-2020, 02:09 PM

14,355 posts, read 11,747,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Actually South OC is status-conscious because of the general Greater L.A. "Hollywood" influence--not laid back like S.D.--and it does cost a fortune to maintain appearances. The only similarities it shares with S.D. is it's moderate Republicanism and the suburban sprawled layout (unlike the density of the L.A. Basin and neighboring valleys).

Just go to Fashion Island and gawk at the mega-mansions above in Newport Coast, on the hills across the mall. Yet the inland South Coast Mall is the center luxury mall for the whole county.
You shouldn't stereotype South OC that way. You are describing Newport Beach, Irvine, the parts of Costa Mesa immediately surrounding South Coast Plaza (not "Mall"). But Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Laguna Hills, Rancho Santa Margarita, San Juan Capistrano, etc. are not especially "status conscious." I've lived in that area for nearly 25 years and the vast majority of people are down-to-earth. They don't live in gated communities or drive supercars, and they send their kids to ordinary public schools.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I think the starker contrast exists between north and south Orange County, to be honest.
You described it perfectly. There's actually bigger differences in culture between North and South OC than South OC vs. suburban San Diego. South OC feels very similar to suburban San Diego.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You shouldn't stereotype South OC that way. You are describing Newport Beach, Irvine, the parts of Costa Mesa immediately surrounding South Coast Plaza (not "Mall"). But Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Laguna Hills, Rancho Santa Margarita, San Juan Capistrano, etc. are not especially "status conscious." I've lived in that area for nearly 25 years and the vast majority of people are down-to-earth. They don't live in gated communities or drive supercars, and they send their kids to ordinary public schools.
Wait, but Coto de Caza is VERY keep up with the Joneses, as is Dana Point. Yes, I'd agree that Lake Forest and Mission Viejo are less so, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California