Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 01:19 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,999,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The poster said nothing about discounting anyone's experience.

You have an incredible way of twisting people's words around.
I never said they did. I'm simply asking them not to discount people's experiences.

Relax a little, hyper tension is a silent killer in today's society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 11:21 PM

102,242 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Yeah...

Yoga, avocados, Toyota Priuses, iPhones, Tamales at Christmas, Trader Joes, Yosemite, the beach, freeways, Joshua Tree, sunsets, coastal drives, WINE!, Red Hot Chili Peppers, golden poppies at Easter, In-N-Out, Spanish Missions, Victorian homes, date palms, summer fog on the hillsides, Santa Ana winds and pumpkin patches in the fall.
OMG, you left out the redwoods! Unthinkable! It's not California, without the redwoods. You get points for the golden poppies, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, though.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:42 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,061,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OMG, you left out the redwoods! Unthinkable! It's not California, without the redwoods. You get points for the golden poppies, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, though.

Yes, the redwoods AND Big Sur! Dang it.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:40 AM

7,658 posts, read 4,625,969 times
If there's any culture of California overall, it's perhaps acceptance that there is no universal State culture and merely a microsm of small tribal cultures....which perhaps are more important still because of the stress and financial realities of living in most of the State. It's going to be harder to move to Santa Barbara without some sort of connection to the area. The prices, while cheap to other coastal cities, are generally paired with lower paying jobs. The view is expensive.

Certainly the culture of Aptos differs from San Francisco, which differs from San Jose....all of which are very different from Bakersfield, San Diego or LA...and frankly, it breaks into neighborhoods from there, and if anything, the area knows that the dominate culture of a given area at any given time is very likely to change in the future. It is the byproduct of living in such a wealthy productive land....there will always be new contenders vying for the crown.

Of course, runaway pension liabilities, armies or illegals and homeless, no water, and lack of intrastate transport could still potentially be as effective as a scorched Earth policy at some point in stopping new arrivals, but nobody knows the extent until they get here and it takes awhile to override a lifetime of Hollywood broadcasting.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:30 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,398,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
In 2020, stereotypical California culture that was popularized by Hollywood throughout the second half of the 20th century has been nearly eradicated from the state due to heavy legal and illegal immigration from Second and Third World countries.
This is 100% true. I was a kid in the 1960's and actually lived and experienced the California "dream." Going to the beach, riding my bike safely all over, having fun. Once you had Third World people come in massive droves to southern California, all that ended (and sure, people will be triggered and scream "Racist!" -- Get some new material).

The traffic, the pollution, the degradation of way of life occurred because there are simply too many people in the state. Since 1970, the population of CA has gone from 19 million to 40 million, which is mind-blowing and staggering. What was once endless orange groves now is packed with tract housing. It's a big reason I got the hell out of southern CA.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:43 AM

21,765 posts, read 16,410,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
This is 100% true. I was a kid in the 1960's and actually lived and experienced the California "dream." Going to the beach, riding my bike safely all over, having fun. Once you had Third World people come in massive droves to southern California, all that ended (and sure, people will be triggered and scream "Racist!" -- Get some new material).

The traffic, the pollution, the degradation of way of life occurred because there are simply too many people in the state. Since 1970, the population of CA has gone from 19 million to 40 million, which is mind-blowing and staggering. What was once endless orange groves now is packed with tract housing. It's a big reason I got the hell out of southern CA.
Speaking of “get some new material” ... um, your whole post ...

Old 05-30-2020, 09:16 PM

22 posts, read 23,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Yes, the redwoods AND Big Sur! Dang it.
And Mendocino

Old 05-31-2020, 10:48 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,188,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
That's not something I've been accused of in real life from people who know me, so I would say no.

Look, I buy the point that "experiences can be fulfilling", but if you're having a hard time paying rent, bills, etc and unemployed those all have a cumulative stress effect. California has the highest poverty rate in the country right now using the Census supplemental measurement. Don't discount those people's experiences and pain, that would actually be cruel.
Many of us out here are originally from California. Many people in places across of the country tend to hate Californians, especially if you just happen to be a bit too CA or anything out of the ordinary. It is more cruel for someone growing up in CA to suddenly pack up and leave for those places without an extremely solid reason.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:41 PM

295 posts, read 144,070 times
home of high taxes and fees, liberal politicians that give your hard earned money to illegals, home of environmental wackos, home the worse traffic in the US and where you can find entire cities with signage in another language other than english.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:53 PM

21,765 posts, read 16,410,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happly retired View Post
home of high taxes and fees, liberal politicians that give your hard earned money to illegals, home of environmental wackos, home the worse traffic in the US and where you can find entire cities with signage in another language other than english.
Thanks again for providing so much validation for your opinion! Really unique how you take the time to research and link so many relevant issues. The in-depth reporting is very useful and insightful for readers who want to get to the bottom of things ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California