Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 12:51 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,743,317 times

Advertisements

I'm reading on the internet that the Black Lives Matter movement gains momentum nationwide, and therefore some communities in California are moving to rename local schools that some say glorify a racist and painful past.

For example, in Berkeley, the school board last week voted to change the names of Washington and Jefferson elementary schools because both men owned slaves.

Supposedly hundreds of California schools are named after men who owned or promoted slavery, or held overtly racist views. Fifty-seven schools are named after George Washington, the country’s first president; 43 are named after Thomas Jefferson, the third president and an author of the Declaration of Independence; and 29 are named Wilson, presumably for Woodrow Wilson, president during World War I.

I don't mind a school or university named after Barack Obama or Oprah Winfrey, Miles Davis even, but Snopp Dogg wouldn't be my first choice. Then again, you all might disagree.

On a side note, if the statue of Christopher Columbus gotta go, we have a nice shady spot in our front yard under the persimmon trees, perfect fit for us, and perfect fit for the rest of this nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 12:56 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
You could do a lot worse than Snoop Dog.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:07 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,955 times
Empty gesture that does nothing.

Leftists can do whatever they want, rip down statues, take portraits down, or rename schools.

All I know is Robert Byrd's statue isn't ripped down and none of the over dozen buildings and roads named after him haven't been renamed. Pelosi hasn't even talked about scrubbing his name from the Capital.

The man ran a KKK chapter of over 150 members, mostly composed of his family and friends. Think about the implications behind that.

When are these monuments to racism, all over the country, going to be renamed or torn down?

Quote:
Robert C. Byrd Biotechnology Science Center—located at Marshall University in Huntington.

Robert C. Byrd Center for Congressional History and Education—located at Shepherd University in Shepherdstown.

Robert C. Byrd Center for Pharmacy Education—located at the University of Charleston in Charleston.

Robert Ct. Byrd Center for Rural Health—located at Marshall University in Huntington.

Robert C. Byrd Clinical Teaching Center—located at CAMC Memorial Hospital in Charleston.

Robert C. Byrd Health and Wellness Center—located in Bethany.

Robert C. Byrd Health and Sciences Center—located at West Virginia University in Morgantown.

Robert C. Byrd Institute for Advanced Flexible Manufacturing—located at Marshall University in Huntington.

Robert C. Byrd National Aerospace Education Center—located in Bridgeport.

The Robert C. Byrd National Technology Transfer Center—located in Wheeling.

Public Schools:

Robert C. Byrd High School—located in Clarksburg.

Government Buildings:

Robert C. Byrd Rooms— located in West Virginia and in Washington D.C.

Robert C. Byrd U.S. Court House —located in Beckley and Charleston.

Robert C. Byrd Auditorium—located in Shepherdstown.

Robert C. Byrd Locks and Dam—located along the Ohio River in West Virginia

Community Buildings:

Robert C. Byrd Clinic—located in Lewisburg.

Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope—located in Green Bank.

Robert C. Byrd Child & Adolescent Behavioral Health Center—located in Wheeling.

Robert C. Byrd Industrial Park—located in Old Fields.

Robert C. Byrd Conference Center—located in Elkins.

Major Highways & Bridges:

Robert C. Byrd Appalachian Highway System—located in West Virginia.

Robert C. Byrd Bridge—located in Huntington.

Robert C. Byrd Drive—located in Beckley.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
You could do a lot worse than Snoop Dog.
O.J. Simpson Athletic Field and Idi Amin Daycare Center comes to mind. Please comment before the moderators delete the thread.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:34 PM

307 posts, read 242,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I'm reading on the internet that the Black Lives Matter movement gains momentum nationwide, and therefore some communities in California are moving to rename local schools that some say glorify a racist and painful past.

For example, in Berkeley, the school board last week voted to change the names of Washington and Jefferson elementary schools because both men owned slaves.

Supposedly hundreds of California schools are named after men who owned or promoted slavery, or held overtly racist views. Fifty-seven schools are named after George Washington, the country’s first president; 43 are named after Thomas Jefferson, the third president and an author of the Declaration of Independence; and 29 are named Wilson, presumably for Woodrow Wilson, president during World War I.

I don't mind a school or university named after Barack Obama or Oprah Winfrey, Miles Davis even, but Snopp Dogg wouldn't be my first choice. Then again, you all might disagree.

On a side note, if the statue of Christopher Columbus gotta go, we have a nice shady spot in our front yard under the persimmon trees, perfect fit for us, and perfect fit for the rest of this nation.
Where did you read that they would rename a school after Snoop Dog??

Old 06-22-2020, 07:00 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,186,254 times
Yale of Yale university was a slave trader so I’m waiting to see how that turns out

Old 06-22-2020, 07:18 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,311,374 times
Historical figures often have complicated lives.

Are we going to start removing Martin Luther King from the public space?

https://theconversation.com/im-an-ml...e-light-118015

Old 06-22-2020, 08:03 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
O.J. Simpson Athletic Field and Idi Amin Daycare Center comes to mind. Please comment before the moderators delete the thread.
LOL.

Beat me to it. First name I thought of.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
I propose we get rid of the dollar bill and quarter as it bears the picture of Washington. The nickel too

Old 06-23-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I propose we get rid of the dollar bill and quarter as it bears the picture of Washington. The nickel too
Please send it all to my house if you find them offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California