Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 01:40 PM

83 posts, read 101,407 times

Advertisements

Hopefully the new Police Chief will be able to reverse the trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 01:41 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Sorry to hear of this.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:52 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septuagenarian View Post
I am wondering how many crimes are even being reported now. Car and home break ins, stealing from stores, etc. The sources we can access for a given city or area are no longer likely to be accurate, due to how many police departments now do nothing. Not knowing how bad an area is can create real problems for people wanting to move.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:23 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Quote:
Record murders last year in Denver, minneapolis, kansas city, cincinnati, and in a bunch of other cities. I think st louis had a murder rate 9-10x worse than fresnos last year. I'm not saying not to be concerned, but realize that this is a nationwide issue, and it takes time to clean house.. Things look bleak right now, but have no fear, odds are in the favor of big improvements coming.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 02-12-2021 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-12-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Record murders last year in Denver, minneapolis, kansas city, cincinnati, and in a bunch of other cities. I think st louis had a murder rate 9-10x worse than fresnos last year. I'm not saying not to be concerned, but realize that this is a nationwide issue, and it takes time to clean house.. Things look bleak right now, but have no fear, odds are in the favor of big improvements coming.
What makes you think that?

Old 02-16-2021, 12:41 AM

1 posts, read 704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
I am wondering how many crimes are even being reported now. Car and home break ins, stealing from stores, etc. The sources we can access for a given city or area are no longer likely to be accurate, due to how many police departments now do nothing. Not knowing how bad an area is can create real problems for people wanting to move.
Please don't just guess and provide some real evidence before you spread misinformation based on a hunch.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanningMonk View Post
Please don't just guess and provide some real evidence before you spread misinformation based on a hunch.
I didn't make any guesses, I asked a question.

The question is based on news reports about how in some cities the police are handling car break-ins, theft from stores, etc. Just google it.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:33 AM

705 posts, read 506,362 times
Quote:
You can hope all you want, but as long as DA’s, Judges and the California judicial system are soft on crime, NOTHING WILL CHANGE. Accept it, it’s what the majority of California voters want.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:15 AM

478 posts, read 691,360 times
OP IS TROLLING

Fresno crime WAS bad, and was actually good the last several years especially under Chief Dyer, but recently with the new police chief there is an uptick.

from the mid 2010s up until 2020, Fresno has been safe (comparing other big cities in CA--because keep in mind Fresno is the 5th LARGEST CITY IN CALIFORNIA) and there are numerous data points that back this up.

https://www.gddlaw.com/2016/05/12/ci...nia-dangerous/
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
https://abc30.com/homicides-down-by-...ounty/4978297/
For comparison:
Fresno COUNTY (fresno, clovis, etc): 32
City of Oakland alone: 66
Alameda COUNTY (includes oakland): 85
Contra Costa COUNTY: 38
San Francisco: 42
bay area source:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/...omicides-2018/

Fresno has been the scapegoat as gangland for decades and back in the 90s and 00s it was justified, but after that corrupt police chief was caught and dyer came in, it cleaned up, but the stigma stuck. But thanks to data, we can finally show the truth.
From casual readers or general impressions of people who dont know anything about Fresno, it has always been seen as crimeland, allowing places that REALLY DO HAVE A LOT MORE VIOLENT CRIME, hide behind fresno: Oakland, stockton, modesto, a lot of east bay area cities, heck, Sacramento, and SF have more violent crime per 100K residents.

OP claims to be in Fresno, and if thats true, he may be basing his feelings on the fact that he lives in the ghetto/bad parts. I'm sure someone from south sacramento by mack road isnt speaking praises about how safe sacramento is or someone in the tenderloin in SF or folks in east oakland.

Last edited by Yac; 02-17-2021 at 12:49 AM..

Old 02-16-2021, 12:30 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Modded: op is from the bay area and moved to fresno to retire. He watches a lot of news, so hes probably on edge because the news puts so much focus on crime.

Crime swings wildly up and down in fresno. It can go from below average to above average in no time. Last year was a big swing up, but I'm not bothered because one year isn't a trend. Show me 3 years of above average crime and then be concerned.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 02-16-2021 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California