Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2021, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 394 times

Advertisements

Hi, Everyone:

I'm a SoCal (10 years) resident accepting a job offer in Pleasanton. We (my 2 person, 1 kitty-cat family) are going to keep our rent-controlled apartment in LA until I am confident (one year) in my new role.

That is the rub. To make this work on the small relo offered, I will need to commute once a week (T-Th) and to either rent a room ala hot pads, experiment with Airbnb,or find a studio or 1BR renting it but not using it 100%. My budget which includes airfare (Oakland airport), car commuting (transit is good but does not extend in a timely way past the close-in communities). I need to do this for 34k a year, and less would be better. I have considered everything from a cot, to an in-law suite, to a senior complex (as I am over 55). I want to avoid bedbugs and sharing a bathroom with too many people. I don't want to select/buy furniture.

I am thinking that to excel in my new job, I will have to stabilize the weekly airfare choices (have read about new consolidators like 'Hopper' that were unheard of a few years ago.) I will also need a stable 'home' environment even if it is for 3 days a week. They do want me in the office 2 days a week, not Zoom.

Does anyone have any helpful hints for this plan? I have looked into Craigslist, Hotpads, Zillow, North to Alamo (believe it or not a religious group was advertising a unit). I have looked East into Livermore and from what I see, I don't want to live on a horse facilit in the Castro Valley (the horses looked nice). I am too 'old' to fall for that 'clean my house and I will give it to you rent-free. Thank God.

OK, I am sure I am overlooking something obvious (or maybe this is magical thinking). And the commute will take 8 hours a week. No way around that one.

Thank you. Your Travelling Friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 08:50 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
I've seen adverts on CL in the past for people renting rooms in their home on a part time basis for commuters such as yourself. It's cheap because they don't want you there on the weekends, it's just a place to sleep M-F (or T-TH in your case). I have no clue if that's doable these days or not with the plague and all, but I'd keep an eye out for that if I were you. An inexpensive motel may be an option if you reserve your days well in advance.

Another option is to sublet your place in LA for a year and rent something here full time.

Old 08-28-2021, 09:51 AM

23,601 posts, read 24,139,882 times
The cities (Alamo-Livermore) you are looking are good areas to live and your commute to Pleasanton should be fine.

I would avoid looking at areas which would require a commute over the Altamont Pass (I-580.) These areas would be Tracy, Modesto, (Central Valley areas) etc. Although the rentals would be cheaper, the commute in and out of Pleasanton (during rush hour especially) is very congested. This is a very heavily travelled commuter route.

I have also found that looking for rentals in which pets were involved was difficult. Seems that many landlords here have an adverse position on pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California