Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 11:33 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot312 View Post
You’re off your rocker if you think the swaths of open land is used entirely for agriculture. Haha the previous generation said the same about you and your family moving to the valley. Guess what? No one cares about your personal preference. It’s underdeveloped, underrepresented, and underpopulated. It can ABSOLUTELY enjoy more population.
I am telling you the land that is being repurposed into housing is former Ag land. At least in Bakersfield that is the case. I’ve been seeing it with my own eyes. Sure, most land can have homes built on it. Doesn’t mean that is wise. Growth for the sake of growth is cancer as another longtime member here reminded us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 12:12 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
You’re off your rocker if you think the swaths of open land is used entirely for agriculture. Haha the previous generation said the same about you and your family moving to the valley. Guess what? No one cares about your personal preference. It’s underdeveloped, underrepresented, and underpopulated. It can ABSOLUTELY enjoy more population.
Yes, it certainly can! And you can eat more pie! ... and eat and eat and eat! What could possibly go wrong from eating pie and more pie? Eat ‘till you burst, I say! More pie! Pie is good!

Mmmmm, pie!” - Homer Simpson

Old 04-15-2021, 06:05 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,824,770 times
Quote:
Go look at a map. The Central Valley is leagues bigger than the Bay Area and LA:San Diego combined and a fraction of their population lol
Yeah, don't let lack of resources - water - factor in in pursuit of an even higher CA population.
Lol - thanks Mutt; our population is too high and getting worse. Build as they may, there simply will never be enough housing, especially of the "affordable" type.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:15 AM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
...our population is too high and getting worse. Build as they may, there simply will never be enough housing, especially of the "affordable" type.
Absolutely.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Go look at a map. The Central Valley is leagues bigger than the Bay Area and LA:San Diego combined and a fraction of their population lol
Yes. Like I said: if it can be done, must be a good idea! Eat more pie!

Old 04-15-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Residential water use takes up 8% of our water resources. Ag takes up 70%. Water problem? Charge the farmers what water is really worth, let free market dictate how cavalier they use water. I still see flood irrigation used all over the valley, we can also start there. If the development is indeed being built on ag land, the water use would be net positive.

So your point in not letting more development in the valley is now because of water resources? Weird, it started out as traffic for you. Gotta tell you I think your argument is bad faith. And to your last point: the valley would certainly have affordable housing compared to most other regions. Average ca homes are, what? 700k? Perhaps a Plethora of smaller sf homes should be built along with the typical 3000 sf, they would cost a fraction of the average price. Lastly, require large scale multi family affordable housing along with the developments.
If a trillion people can be fit in, let’s do it! Lord knows more people = less stress ... on resources, psychology, housing, traffic ... whoo boy howdy!

“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of a cancer cell.” - Edward Abbey

Old 04-15-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Residential water use takes up 8% of our water resources. Ag takes up 70%. Water problem? Charge the farmers what water is really worth, let free market dictate how cavalier they use water. I still see flood irrigation used all over the valley, we can also start there. If the development is indeed being built on ag land, the water use would be net positive.

So your point in not letting more development in the valley is now because of water resources? Weird, it started out as traffic for you. Gotta tell you I think your argument is bad faith. And to your last point: the valley would certainly have affordable housing compared to most other regions. Average ca homes are, what? 700k? Perhaps a Plethora of smaller sf homes should be built along with the typical 3000 sf, they would cost a fraction of the average price. Lastly, require large scale multi family affordable housing along with the developments.
No one will be able to buy water if it's not there. We are in a drought and predictions are it isn't going away soon. Of course the rolling black outs are no concern and you saw how quickly markets emptied when the pandemic started. Yeah, sure, more people will fix all that.
BTW, you outright lied when you said I started with a complaint about more traffic. I said no such thing - oh my, yours is a bad faith post!

Old 04-15-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Outright lied? If I mixed up your username with another who made such a complaint then that is an error, not a lie. You also conveniently ignored my point that agriculture consumes 70% of our water use, and people only 8%. Perhaps make new builds outlaw lawns and require drought friendly landscape? People use much less water than the dairies and almond orchards bubby.
Yours was a bad faith post. You obviously didn't pay attention to what I said. - claiming an error on your part admits you don't follow the posts thoughtfully enough.
Yeah, I replied to your water usage post. Read again.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:53 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Yes. Or at least that is a part of the large company. I’m not exactly sure what the company does. I think their wealth mostly comes from the hundreds of thousand of acres of land they own.

Tejon Ranch provided their own positive spin on the recent court ruling on their website too.

“Court ruling clarifies path for Centennial to move forward”

Court ruling clarifies path for Centennial to move forward - Tejon Ranch
My hunting group hits that often. One thing for sure, it burns a LOT. It's mostly buck brush and during the summer it's just a roaring fire waiting to happen. Some of that stuff is 20 feet tall.

They even tell you when you get there that there is really only one way in and out and if you see smoke you better be moving fast.

Old 04-15-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
This is another bad faith argument. Arguing to allow more development in the least developed region and largest, flattest region in California doesn’t mean to allow a trillion people in unmitigated. You and I both know this, that’s why your argument is bad faith.
Not a bad faith argument at all. You miss the argument I am making altogether: we - humanity - are never better served by accepting perpetual growth in a finite paradigm. However much space exists, promoting population growth without reason for the growth is unsustainable. And the reasons for more growth were achieved at least 6 billion people ago.

We don’t have a housing problem.
We don’t have a food supply problem.
We don’t have any pollution problems.
We don’t have resource problems.
We don't have any traffic congestion problem ....

We have a population problem ... address it and all those other issues go away.

There is nothing made better in the world by adding more and more people ...
Except, as Ultrarunner once pointed out, increasing the organ donor pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California