Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 07:40 PM

136 posts, read 133,478 times

Advertisements

I’m currently in TN, but my job has two openings in San Diego and Oxnard. I spent three years in SD and loved it, but I’m pretty unfamiliar with anything north of LA.

Other than size, how do these two areas differ in culture, scenery, economy, infrastructure, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 09:07 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
Which part of SD? I haven't spent much time in Ventura County, but I've passed through countless times... Oxnard feels like a mix between Lemon Grove and Fallbrook but without the perks of being near a big city. (LA is a trek once you factor in traffic.) At least Oxnard is an easy escape to Santa Barbara or Ojai. If you opt for Oxnard, consider living in Ventura.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:30 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Which stage of life are you in?

If you're younger, say under 35 and single, San Diego is probably better for the expanded social life.

However, more information about you might aid other responders in supplying useful comparisons.

Old 04-07-2021, 02:47 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,571,475 times
We had some old friends from St Louis visit us in 2013. We gave them the grand tour of San Diego County. They loved the place. But they ended up buying a house in Simi Valley. Their reasons:
1. More house for the money in Ventura County.
2. They'd be closer to their kids and grand-kids in Ventura County.

Blood is thicker than water.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:03 PM

136 posts, read 133,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Which stage of life are you in?

If you're younger, say under 35 and single, San Diego is probably better for the expanded social life.

However, more information about you might aid other responders in supplying useful comparisons.
My wife and I are in our mid-20’s with an infant daughter. We like having things to do and see, but we’re not totally against having some space to breathe. The jobs would be in Coronado and near what looks like Redwood area in Oxnard according to Google Maps.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:41 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preston39 View Post
I’m currently in TN, but my job has two openings in San Diego and Oxnard. I spent three years in SD and loved it, but I’m pretty unfamiliar with anything north of LA.

Other than size, how do these two areas differ in culture, scenery, economy, infrastructure, etc.?
Two places grow award winning strawberries. Carlsbad, and Oxnard. Take your pick on which one you like more.
San Diego is going to be more "urban" while Oxnard is going to be more "rural." This is a very general description. VERY GENERAL.

The cesspool between the 2 areas is just that...a cesspool.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:24 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
My wife and I are in our mid-20’s with an infant daughter. We like having things to do and see, but we’re not totally against having some space to breathe. The jobs would be in Coronado and near what looks like Redwood area in Oxnard according to Google Maps.
Your choice. Check out each physically. Personally I would chose SD. Venture County has some nice areas and things to do, but not ;like SD. Plus the traffic into LA is terrible and then to get to say OC, it is worse. In SD it easier to get to OC and even some areas of LA. Traffic will always be an issue the closer you are to LA.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:22 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
My situation was similar to yours. A long, long time ago, however. We lived in Escondido while I attended SDSU. My daughter was born there, (Escondido, not SDSU). When she was five or so, we moved to Fillmore in Ventura county, (then other cities in Ventura county). We loved both places. Probably more things to do in San Diego county, just based on having a larger population that can support such things.

Coronado feels a world apart from the rest of San Diego. You have make an effort to cross the bridge to get back to downtown and other activities. If you decide on San Diego, absolutely get a membership in the Zoological Society. That will allow you to get into the zoo, (and Wild Animal Park, or whatever they call it now), anytime you want to go. Those are some of the most precious times with my daughter. I would take her to the Park several times a month and leave the wife at home to give her a break. She appreciated it, and I had some special one-on-one time with my daughter.

Not so much to do in Ventura county. Lots of outdoor stuff, but same can be found in SD. Best draw of Ventura is its proximity to Los Angeles. San Diego has some nice museums, but so does Los Angeles. LA has the Hollywood Bowl and the Dorthy Chandler Pavilion, (if you are into Opera and whatnot). Both have beaches and mountains nearby.

Tough call. Coronado is pretty special, especially if you can possibly live there. If I were able to come back and choose either, I'd probably choose Ventura. Mostly due to the lesser traffic and population. San Diego has just grown too big. Traffic is awful. No way I could live in Escondido and attend SDSU these days. It was an easy drive when I lived there...it's a nightmare these days. Weather is similar, maybe slightly more mild in SD.

Good luck in your decision. It's a tough call.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-08-2021, 01:12 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,852,680 times
You'll have a bear of a commute into Coronado unless you live in a condo in SD. Oxnard on the other hand has nearby Camarillo to live in for much better prices than Carlsbad, that is for sure. Comes down to money, I'd pick SD if I had millions for a house. A tighter budget and life would be better near Oxnard. They are pretty similar areas climate wise and culturally. They both have navy bases too. San diego county has 4 times the people of Ventura County in roughly the same size of area, so that's a big difference. Like someone else said, if you want more city or more country you have an easy choice to make. If you drive a pickup truck, you'll fit right in around Ventura. If you want "cultural amenities" close by, SD. Its kind of like comparing Nashville to Murfreesboro.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:50 PM

572 posts, read 598,626 times
If you envision a beach lifestyle then both coastal areas are beautiful - SD has more of the play on sandy beaches and swim in warmer water - while Ventura has a lot cooler water temps and has the overcast gloom by the coast more often. Ventura itself is a bit grimier as far as the downtown and waterfront - like closer to Ocean Beach area in San Diego.

I would imagine housing options are better in the greater Ventura area. SD has gotten crazy expensive almost everywhere.

If you plan on exploring north to other areas of California it will be easier to do so from Ventura than SD. Anywhere out of SD unless you are going south into Mexico or across into Arizona you have to drive through LA. Don't underestimate how much that sucks sitting in LA traffic if you like to do a lot of weekend trips away. Whereas Ventura you can get out on up to Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and beyond to Big Sur etc. Its also pretty easy to get out to the 5 and on up to northern California. From SD you are way better off flying up north.

Ventura still holds onto a little bit of a blue collar vibe whereas it's pretty much completely gone from San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California