Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
What does "Dose the big one" mean?
It's an interesting question, "What does the 'big one' mean?" In terms of Southern California, doesn't it means a quake on the San Andreas measuring 8.0.? From what I've read, in addition to the magnitude, the "big one" could have a duration of up to 3 minutes!

But to address the OP, the thought of earthquakes don't make me want to leave CA, especially when I see what happens in the lower Midwest and Southeast with tornadoes every spring and fall. But I will say that ever since the China 7.9 I'm a little more alert to the incidental vibrations of passing trains, trucks, etc. For a split second my senses want to identify the source of the vibration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 01:10 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
I live in the San Joaquin Valley and earthquakes are rare here.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:36 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
The Bakersfield area had a 7.5 on July 21 1952, I remember my mom telling me how the palm trees swayed to and fro.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
I live in the San Joaquin Valley and earthquakes are rare here.

Coalinga, California Western San Joaquin Valley, - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coalinga Earthquake

Old 05-14-2008, 11:22 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The Bakersfield area had a 7.5 on July 21 1952, I remember my mom telling me how the palm trees swayed to and fro.
My grandparents used to talk about it all the time because it flattened St. Francis Church and the church that they have now is the one that was built after the earthquake. Didn't it destroy a bunch of the buildings downtown? Sounds crazy...I've only felt about three since I was old enough to understand what an earthquake was. They aren't bad. When I was like ten there was a little one so I stood under an archway in my house but during the other one I went outside to watch a bunch of water slosh out of the pool while my dogs ran around barking like crazy. People think they're worse than they actually are, I feel completely confident that if I was in any building in California (except maybe really old historic buildings) during an earthquake I would come out completely unscathed.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:23 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
To Charles...Their are quakes here in the Central Valley,but we don't experience them as often as in L.A.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:57 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
To Charles...Their are quakes here in the Central Valley,but we don't experience them as often as in L.A.
The San Andreas runs along the south and west flank of the San Joaquin Valley. The really big earthquakes only happen once every few hundred years. Wasn't there a quake on the San Andreas in the Frazier Park area in 1812, same one that did so much damage as far away as Santa Barbara?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:09 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I've only felt about three since I was old enough to understand what an earthquake was. They aren't bad. When I was like ten there was a little one so I stood under an archway in my house but during the other one I went outside to watch a bunch of water slosh out of the pool while my dogs ran around barking like crazy. People think they're worse than they actually are, I feel completely confident that if I was in any building in California (except maybe really old historic buildings) during an earthquake I would come out completely unscathed.
You wouldn't say they aren't bad if you had been where I was in the Northridge quake, a mile from the epicenter. I knew it was an earthquake, but it felt like some giant picked up my house and was shaking it up and down. The quake ripped my world apart for about a minute.

You are right about the danger from quakes in that anybody in a wood frame single story building is not likely to be harmed unless something falls on them, like an unsecured piece of furniture. California is not the place to put a glass mirror on the ceiling over your bed!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:27 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You wouldn't say they aren't bad if you had been where I was in the Northridge quake, a mile from the epicenter. I knew it was an earthquake, but it felt like some giant picked up my house and was shaking it up and down. The quake ripped my world apart for about a minute.

You are right about the danger from quakes in that anybody in a wood frame single story building is not likely to be harmed unless something falls on them, like an unsecured piece of furniture. California is not the place to put a glass mirror on the ceiling over your bed!
Ouch! Yeah, a glass mirror would probably be a bad idea in this state, lol!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:29 AM

7 posts, read 15,457 times
never been through either - but am considering a move from texas to california - did ride out the edge of hurricane camille as a kid - that was scary - been close to tornadoes and must say i am a little nervous about quakes - but right now i live with a fertilizer plant on one side and a gas refueling station on the other side - and the fertilizer plant just keeps building storage tanks - so to answer the question, the big one doesn't scare me and i won't let it keep me from coming to california -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California