Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 08:45 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,415,708 times

Advertisements

Shasta, as well as Siskiyou counties, are deeper red than most red states. This is not surprising to me. I know people who live there and my God! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 09:32 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,520,140 times
The coastal arrogance, condescension and bigotry are on full display in this thread. How surprising and unexpected. Why should any of you care what the residents of Shasta County do regarding politics within their county? Don't break your arms patting yourselves on the back for being so enlightened, intelligent, progressive and wealthy.

Old 02-03-2022, 10:13 AM

2,026 posts, read 1,747,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
The coastal arrogance, condescension and bigotry are on full display in this thread. How surprising and unexpected. Why should any of you care what the residents of Shasta County do regarding politics within their county? Don't break your arms patting yourselves on the back for being so enlightened, intelligent, progressive and wealthy.

We live 90 miles south of Redding, but I won't throw a hissy fit because a county supervisor was recalled. Contrary to expectations, slavery remains illegal and the Hitlerjugend isn't coming back either.

I'd rather live in Redding or Paradise paying my way than in S. Fran or South L.A. for free. We don't have opera, ballet, 5-star "dining experiences", but our quality of life is way better than any of the large fancy cities elsewhere. I lived in them, in three different countries. This comes from an old geezer, so your mileage might vary.

As for the money we receive from the state for social services, most of it goes to the homeless. If we don't take care of them they would move back to San Francisco for more generous handouts. I can't claim I'd miss them -- then again, we don't have any here in Paradise, CA 95969. Nearby Chico is a progressive city, they spend millions on the homeless. Surprise, surprise, the more they spend the more they get. Whenever I watch Chico dealing with the homeless I see a dog trying to catch his own tail.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:07 PM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I guess part of it is worry that issues run amok there might have impact in nearby parts of the state. That and there's a large net wealth transfer via tax collection and expenditure from many of the coastal areas to Shasta County. Plus it's the California forum so I guess it's a lot of people weighing in on different parts of the state. I do think it's at least interesting reporting in regards to the human element of lots of money coming into this from a personal vendetta which is pretty exciting petty behavior that's generally kind of fun to watch (but not experience).

Old 02-04-2022, 07:35 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,092,268 times
There are a lot of right leaning moderates that live in the “money producing” areas.
Their voice is often unheard.
It is drowned out by small yet very vocal groups.

Yes they even like guns, hunting, car races and things like that.
They don’t support defund the police, or like an open border, or are fine with the massive homeless situation.
They support common sense and other than taking their money the far left has abandoned them.

As a member of a San Francisco union I know darn well that lots of the rank and file members are moderates.
Lots of other unions in the large cities are the same yet there is the large cash donations to the far left.
Might not be as blue as you think if the cash cow that unions are went dry for the far left.

I’m not saying that this is a hidden conservative stronghold or anything like that.
I’m just saying most of these insane leftist policies are not the views of most coastal people.

Most decent minded people here are moderate and somewhat independent.

Old 02-05-2022, 12:08 PM

26,764 posts, read 26,880,442 times
What happened in Redding should be a big, blinking warning light to what’s left of the mainstream Republican Party, and to us all that we have an obligation as Californians to protect elections across the state, not just the ones in our backyard.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...alifornia-next

Old 02-05-2022, 01:08 PM

318 posts, read 198,334 times
Reverge Anselmo is to the far right what George Soros is to the far left, which the LA Times knows all too well and completely ignores. Anselmo could never dream of having the impact of the left's elephant in the room, Soros.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:08 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,191,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What happened in Redding should be a big, blinking warning light to what’s left of the mainstream Republican Party, and to us all that we have an obligation as Californians to protect elections across the state, not just the ones in our backyard.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...alifornia-next
Since the Times is behind a paywall why don’t you tell us what it says and give your opinion.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:45 PM

36,666 posts, read 67,609,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
There are a lot of right leaning moderates that live in the “money producing” areas.

They don’t support defund the police, or like an open border, or are fine with the massive homeless situation.
They support common sense and other than taking their money the far left has abandoned them.

As a member of a San Francisco union I know darn well that lots of the rank and file members are moderates.
Lots of other unions in the large cities are the same yet there is the large cash donations to the far left.
Might not be as blue as you think if the cash cow that unions are went dry for the far left.

I’m not saying that this is a hidden conservative stronghold or anything like that.
I’m just saying most of these insane leftist policies are not the views of most coastal people.

I like moderate republicans a lot.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:57 PM

8,674 posts, read 17,303,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post

It sounds like what you're describing are just mainstream California Democrats in basically every other major city besides specifically San Francisco. CA Democratic Party does not support defunding the police, an open border, or accepting the status quo for the homeless situation. The far left may have abandoned them, but the far left doesn't have any great degree of political power in California. Tech money is actually pretty conservative (does anyone seriously consider people like Mark Zuckerberg to be leftist, or even liberal?) and Silicon Valley tends to be where a lot of the zany libertarian ideas come from.

The small groups on the far left have to be very vocal because they don't get heard at all otherwise. And of course if you go far enough left you get to like guns again!

Redding's recent political wackiness may be due in part to the influence of the extremely wacky Bethel Church. There are a couple of neato places in redding, including a couple of very nice bookstores, but they're kind of hidden in the niches, and people notice the shirtless tweakers first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California