Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 11:26 AM

253 posts, read 197,718 times

Advertisements

Redwoods, Urban ocean side, Non-urban oceanside, Cruise through/visit a vineyard, A mountainous area hike or visit(Yosemite, sequoia, redding) Visit a major city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 01:34 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
If you do visit San Francisco, be sure to check out the Cable Car Museum. You not only learn about the history of the cable cars, you can see the underground mechanisms by which they operate. Here's an article about it all:
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...e-cars/265578/

https://www.sanfrancisco.net/cable-car-museum

Old 04-08-2022, 01:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Sacramento - Pack a lunch with your favorite cold beverages and Raft down the American River; start below Nimbus Dam at any access point upriver of the Sunrise Bridge; end your raft ride at River Bend Park in Carmiachel/Rancho Cordova.

Old 04-08-2022, 02:37 PM

7,501 posts, read 4,348,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I have never really been to the west coast (stop in Vancouver doesn't count) Nothing against Oregon and Washington state but I have never been to California. What would you say would be the must haves to do in the state.

I figure maybe driving up or down the 101, le brea tar pits, Bradbury building, SF, LA, San Diego. Maybe a tad of silicon valley. Maybe santa barbera.

One thing I would ultimately like to do on my bucket list is to have a night or two in some penthouse overlooking a good view (city or ocean).

What would you say would be the must haves?
Don't forget San Pedro and East 5th St. in LA. You can also check out Venice Beach then move on up the coast and visit the Tenderloin, Mission and Market Districts in "Frisco".

You might want to bring a pooper scooper while visiting SF and watch your step on Venice Beach. We have neighbors and know quite a few people that were born and raised in California according to them California Dreamin' has become a California nightmare. One is from San Bernardino according to her crime is now off the charts. One of my high school friends moved to and worked in Fresno. He said the same thing about Fresno and moved back to of all places New York which is almost as bad.

Before we moved to Arizona I too wanted to go out and see the Pacific Ocean. I'm a big fan of The Doors and wanted to go see all of the places where the band got started and hung out. But after talking to and now knowing so many people from there I scratched that off my list. Which really is a crying shame as it's arguably one of the most beautiful states landscape wise in the entire country. I have been to Needles though on the way back from the Hoover Dam.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

https://nypost.com/2021/05/10/califo...ss-encampment/

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 04-08-2022 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-08-2022, 07:15 PM

1,250 posts, read 677,871 times
Skip Sacramento and San Jose ("Silicon Valley) -

Recommend:

Marin County
Mendocino
San Francisco
Oakland/Alameda
Carmel
Big Sur

Old 04-08-2022, 09:41 PM

California is a big state. So much more than than the places below, skip them.

Marin County - Snobby people, elitist, way too expensive, not worth it.
San Francisco - Way Too expensive, not worth it. What used to be nice about it has been greatly diminished.
Oakland/Alameda - Nothing special at all; and too much crime and homeless on the streets. Absolutely skip it.

Take a drive on Highway 49 from Nevada City, CA to Placerville, CA to Sonora, CA spend some time in these Gold Country towns along the route; end up in Yosemite Valley stay a few days and hike up to the top of Half Dome.

Old 04-08-2022, 11:29 PM

899 posts, read 517,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
California is a big state. So much more than than the places below, skip them.

Marin County - Snobby people, elitist, way too expensive, not worth it.
San Francisco - Way Too expensive, not worth it. What used to be nice about it has been greatly diminished.
Oakland/Alameda - Nothing special at all; and too much crime and homeless on the streets. Absolutely skip it.

Take a drive on Highway 49 from Nevada City, CA to Placerville, CA to Sonora, CA spend some time in these Gold Country towns along the route; end up in Yosemite Valley stay a few days and hike up to the top of Half Dome.
I agree. Gold Country is very underrated.

Old 04-09-2022, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
I agree. Gold Country is very underrated.
Yes, and a great way to see Lake Tahoe is ski Heavenly Valley Ski resort in South Lake Tahoe, CA.

Stunning views of the Lake from 9,000 feet.

If you don't ski/snowboard: You can still take the Heavenly Valley Gondola up to the top for views of the Lake.

Homewood Ski resort is a good choice to see Lake Tahoe from high above as well. Homewood is on the west side of the Lake.

Old 04-09-2022, 04:37 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Have a meal out on the patio at Ventana. With a table as close to the edge as possible:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/dining/the-sur-house

Old 04-09-2022, 08:26 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I have never really been to the west coast (stop in Vancouver doesn't count) Nothing against Oregon and Washington state but I have never been to California. What would you say would be the must haves to do in the state.

I figure maybe driving up or down the 101, le brea tar pits, Bradbury building, SF, LA, San Diego. Maybe a tad of silicon valley. Maybe santa barbera.

One thing I would ultimately like to do on my bucket list is to have a night or two in some penthouse overlooking a good view (city or ocean).

What would you say would be the must haves?
OP- First, you mention “quintessential experience,” then you mention locations.
The TRUE quintissential experience (for Calif) would be to strip you of the liberties that you now, take for granted. (I don’t know where you are now.) so, it’s impossible to recommend places that you may find unique.

Calif is too big to “experience it all, in one decade.”

Oregon hasn’t really been mentioned, ironically. (It’s against the law to pump your own gas, there!)

You might check maps like madmaps for interesting destinations.

Be advised: the ONLY way to experience the West Coast is on a Harley Davidson. (Those whom know, are nodding right now.)
Actually, ANY motorcycle will do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California