Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 12:24 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Wow? Great coverage of developments in lithium mining …

“ … you can put a well down anywhere within the field and you know, strike white gold, if you want to call it that,” Rod Colwell, CEO of Controlled Thermal Resources (CTR), an Australian mining firm developing a geothermal power plant with a lithium mining plant on site, told Yahoo Finance. “The lithium resource would be the largest on the planet, fully developed… so it’s a very, very unique resource.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elect...140400829.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 10:24 AM

426 posts, read 178,505 times
If we are capable of replacing the 270 million gas vehicles with EV’s we now need to figure how to mine all this lithium and a way of charging these batteries without using fossil fuels and nuclear power. Traditional power sources (hydro, coal, oil, natural gas, uranium) produce about four trillion kilowatt hours (Kwh) of electricity to power our grid. To charge the batteries of 270 million EV’s replacing gas vehicles which travel 3.2 trillion miles annually using 123 billion gallons of gasoline annually would require the grid to produce an additional four trillion kWh.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:15 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujouner View Post
If we are capable of replacing the 270 million gas vehicles with EV’s we now need to figure how to mine all this lithium and a way of charging these batteries without using fossil fuels and nuclear power. Traditional power sources (hydro, coal, oil, natural gas, uranium) produce about four trillion kilowatt hours (Kwh) of electricity to power our grid. To charge the batteries of 270 million EV’s replacing gas vehicles which travel 3.2 trillion miles annually using 123 billion gallons of gasoline annually would require the grid to produce an additional four trillion kWh.
Lots of solar-powered charging stations and home-charging capacity will be needed. I think I saw some Tesla literature, that said their charging stations will be solar-powered.

And yes; fossil fuels will still be needed to produce those batteries and the cars themselves. This is why I posted in another thread, that the standard of living and way of life many Americans have taken for granted, will simply not be doable in the future. This expectation that everyone will have a private vehicle, while public transit has always been underdeveloped compared to many other countries, and inter-state public (or private) transit virtually nonexistent, to say nothing of long-distance transit within each state, is completely unrealistic. As hydroelectric energy sources run dry in the increasingly arid West, hard decisions will have to be made about who is allotted what energy will be available, and on what basis will the rationing be decided.

Old 04-25-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Lots of solar-powered charging stations and home-charging capacity will be needed. I think I saw some Tesla literature, that said their charging stations will be solar-powered.

And yes; fossil fuels will still be needed to produce those batteries and the cars themselves. This is why I posted in another thread, that the standard of living and way of life many Americans have taken for granted, will simply not be doable in the future. This expectation that everyone will have a private vehicle, while public transit has always been underdeveloped compared to many other countries, and inter-state public (or private) transit virtually nonexistent, to say nothing of long-distance transit within each state, is completely unrealistic. As hydroelectric energy sources run dry in the increasingly arid West, hard decisions will have to be made about who is allotted what energy will be available, and on what basis will the rationing be decided.
I’m glad you admit to the quiet part out loud. I imagine the vast majority of Americans will tell you to pound sand. Most Americans (not including the dope who set himself on fire in the name of climate change in front of the SC) aren’t just going to silently stand by while the elites and ruling class enjoy the same standard of life while the rest are required to give up and be subjected to another quite miserable standard of living.

The Biden administration did come up with a figure of 500,000 EV charging stations would be required to replace the 155,000 gas stations. It will be quite the carbon footprint to build this EV infrastructure if we are to keep the same standard of living for everyone. Don’t forget, to recharge a gas vehicle takes 10 minutes to the EV’s 8 hours.

Old 04-25-2022, 02:44 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
I’m glad you admit to the quiet part out loud. I imagine the vast majority of Americans will tell you to pound sand. Most Americans (not including the dope who set himself on fire in the name of climate change in front of the SC) aren’t just going to silently stand by while the elites and ruling class enjoy the same standard of life while the rest are required to give up and be subjected to another quite miserable standard of living.

The Biden administration did come up with a figure of 500,000 EV charging stations would be required to replace the 155,000 gas stations. It will be quite the carbon footprint to build this EV infrastructure if we are to keep the same standard of living for everyone. Don’t forget, to recharge a gas vehicle takes 10 minutes to the EV’s 8 hours.
It's something a lot of folks convientiently forgot about during this whole EV surge. They think electricity comes from thin air when they put the plug into the socket.

The conspiracy theorists are being proven right once again as the price for gas powered cars as shot up, and those for electric cars have gone up even more. Just like the working/middle class is being priced out of airline tickets, they will be priced out of owning a vehicle unless they want a 10 year term.

For the folks who don't have the means to buy, which is becoming a larger pool of people, they better get ready to pull out their vehicle ride sharing app. And if they have crappy social credit ratings then they'll get the crappier vehicle, like in that one black mirror episode.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:23 AM

258 posts, read 230,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Solar panels require batteries too. Need to accumulate that energy somewhere. Which just means more batteries that required lithium which need to be eventually recycled. This whole EV craziness is just pure insanity and a method for some people to make lots of money.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Solar panels require batteries too. Need to accumulate that energy somewhere. Which just means more batteries that required lithium which need to be eventually recycled. This whole EV craziness is just pure insanity and a method for some people to make lots of money.
Oh … unlike ICEs which are about altruistically serving mankind, eh?

Old 04-26-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Oh … unlike ICEs which are about altruistically serving mankind, eh?
I don’t know, but when I go to a grocery store and the shelves are filled with food and other products, I imagine these products just didn’t magically arrive at the store.

Old 04-26-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I don’t know, but when I go to a grocery store and the shelves are filled with food and other products, I imagine these products just didn’t magically arrive at the store.
Yeah? And what’s THAT got to do with *altruism*? Non sequitur. Those product manufacturers and stores are there to selflessly serve humanity, as opposed to being merchants looking to make a buck? And what difference does it make how those are delivered, whether by electric vehicle or combustion vehicle?

Old 04-26-2022, 08:55 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Late model cars are so clean that electric cars aren't going to make much difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: