Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2022, 07:00 PM

47 posts, read 39,804 times

Advertisements

Any idea when this will happen? Like how safe do you think the next 1-2 years is? 5?? https://youtu.be/by6imz9X8Ig Also, I read the valley is vulnerable flooding risk. How safe do
You think we are in the 1-2, or 5 year time frame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 10:35 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Sea-level rise isn't gong to happen that fast. It's going to happen faster than originally anticipated, but certainly not within 2 years, and unlikely within 5. Whether or not the Central Valley will flood within 5 years due to other factors unrelated to sea level rise is a good question. They're expecting major rains to hit CA, on the scale of a huge rainstorm that flooded Central Valley towns in the 1800's, sometime in the next 10 years or so. And no, I don't mean the tropical storm coming up from Mexico as we speak.

Do you make a hobby of searching out potential disaster scenarios for CA or the West Coast, then fretting about them? O r are these concerns related to some relocation plans have brewing? I can't help notice a pattern of catastrophizing in your posts, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Were you planning on moving to the Central Valley?

Old 09-08-2022, 11:06 PM

47 posts, read 39,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sea-level rise isn't gong to happen that fast. It's going to happen faster than originally anticipated, but certainly not within 2 years, and unlikely within 5. Whether or not the Central Valley will flood within 5 years due to other factors unrelated to sea level rise is a good question. They're expecting major rains to hit CA, on the scale of a huge rainstorm that flooded Central Valley towns in the 1800's, sometime in the next 10 years or so. And no, I don't mean the tropical storm coming up from Mexico as we speak.

Do you make a hobby of searching out potential disaster scenarios for CA or the West Coast, then fretting about them? O r are these concerns related to some relocation plans have brewing? I can't help notice a pattern of catastrophizing in your posts, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Were you planning on moving to the Central Valley?
Look I live in Modesto but just like exploring the Bay Area sometimes

Old 09-08-2022, 11:15 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
The Central Valley produces great veggies because it used to be a flooded swamp.
If you take a look at a map it still shows how easily than area can retain water.
We came close to a big flood 25 or so years ago.
I remember the not getting an incoming tide near Antioch when I was in that area.
There was just to much water pushing it back.

We will receive localized floods in the future if a levee breaks.
I don’t think anything of greater scale will happen.
The Hayward fault has a better chance of hurting us and I don’t trip on that.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:33 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californian27 View Post
Look I live in Modesto but just like exploring the Bay Area sometimes
But you worry about everything hitting the Bay Area from floods, hurricanes, red tides, monkey pox, what's next? Oh, right; you haven't asked about "the Big One" yet. Or maybe you did, and I missed it.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:34 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californian27 View Post
Any idea when this will happen? Like how safe do you think the next 1-2 years is? 5?? https://youtu.be/by6imz9X8Ig Also, I read the valley is vulnerable flooding risk. How safe do
You think we are in the 1-2, or 5 year time frame?
I know you asked about flooding in another thread. At least, I think I recall reading it.

Without knowing specifically which part of Modesto you live, it's difficult say whether you will experience flooding.

If you look at the region on a map. Not just Modesto or Stanislaus County but regions surrounding it, you'll see a number of streams and major rivers, i.e. Stanislaus and San Joaquin, web through these areas. Just like the American River and waterways in and around Sacramento. In years where there is heavy rainfall, all those waterways will breach the levee or the levee will break and then flooding happens.

If you look back at history of some of the major floods; one comes to mind '97, it was horrible. Areas all around the valley were flooded.

Modesto's past flooding issue is on the ... I want to say southeast area, not too far from the central district. The elevation is lower and it floods in years where there is heavy rain. We haven't had much "heavy" rain in years and iirc, there's been no flooding. The city may have updated their storm drains to accommodate more rainwater, too.

If you're very concerned, you can contact the city of Modesto and ask if your neighborhood is in a floodplain or access it online. If you own your home, you can look at your documents and see for yourself. There should be a document within your mountain of paperwork that tells you if you're in a 100-yr floodplain area.

Old 09-10-2022, 06:36 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But you worry about everything hitting the Bay Area from floods, hurricanes, red tides, monkey pox, what's next? Oh, right; you haven't asked about "the Big One" yet. Or maybe you did, and I missed it.
Sharks. He/she needs to worry about sharks. Especially the big white tipped one's. LOL! (I guess I shouldn't make light of this, as I have a patient that is scared of sharks, to the point of not entering the water. And no, he's never had a "close call" with a shark, either.)

Maybe I'll tell him Monday that I swim with the hammerheads occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California