Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:56 PM

463 posts, read 1,293,310 times

Advertisements

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 PM

963 posts, read 3,035,835 times
Unofficial motto: Crescent City...Gateway to southern Oregon

Old 10-25-2013, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,218 times
I would love to relocate to crescent city however my husband has reservations....any other good places to live?

Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,102,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkainu View Post
I would love to relocate to crescent city however my husband has reservations....any other good places to live?
ask your husband to cancel or reschedule his reservations

Old 06-28-2017, 05:51 AM

22 posts, read 29,523 times
Considering relocating to Crescent City area from San Jose. So thank you original poster. It's too loud, tech, and crowded (even Santa Cruz). Not a fan of temp above 80F or snow. So how do people get stuff to remodel and fix stuff? Coffee roasted places? Library system? Anybody ever sub in the school system there? I thought Crescent City was bigger than Brookings? Property tax is more in Del Norte than Curry county. What kind of cars fair well there or don't?

Old 06-28-2017, 11:10 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Well, they say things get moldy up there on the north coast. Tho I've lived in Seattle and Oregon, with no mold issues. It definitely won't be crowded up there. But our 1 member here who lived there a couple of yrs. and recently left, said there's not much to do, and it can get very windy, almost gale-like, at times, in certain seasons. It's great if you like walking in the redwoods or on the beach, tho.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:34 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,765,036 times
Crescent City is a pit. Go there and stay for at least a week before you consider moving there.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:00 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,537,234 times
I dunno if I'd call Crescent City a pit but it definitely leaves a lot to be desired. Humboldt is a much better place to live if you want to live on the North Coast imo, and even Humboldt can leave a lot to be desired.

Either way I agree that spending a week in the area is solid advice.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,555,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebSta View Post
Considering relocating to Crescent City area from San Jose. So thank you original poster. It's too loud, tech, and crowded (even Santa Cruz). Not a fan of temp above 80F or snow. So how do people get stuff to remodel and fix stuff? Coffee roasted places? Library system? Anybody ever sub in the school system there? I thought Crescent City was bigger than Brookings? Property tax is more in Del Norte than Curry county. What kind of cars fair well there or don't?
Wellll,,,,, I just moved back to San Jose, after moving from Santa Clara to Redding, to Crescent City.... couldn't wait to get back to civilization.

My motto while surviving in Crescent City for 3 1/2 years was, "It ain't too hot and it ain't snowin'".

Funny how things become relative.

To get stuff to remodel and fix stuff - there is a Home Depot and an Ace Hardware store in Crescent City.

There is a Starbucks for coffee.

The library system is horrible. Tiny, moldy trailer downtown with not much there. You can get them to order new hardback books through the Amazon library deal - forget what it's called. Since you're used to amazing libraries in Santa Clara County, the Crescent City one will make you cry.

Never subbed in school system. There is the public system - for a town with a population of about 5,000 - probably lots of competition there, and there is a juvenile detention school out of town somewhere - I think it's just for boys. I met a great guy who teaches there, but don't know details.

Pretty sure Brookings, OR is bigger - I can tell you for sure it's WAAAAYYYYYY nicer.

Property taxes in CA are regulated by Prop 13 and will always be assessed per your original purchase price. Not so in OR.

There is nothing to do in CC. It is a small town of Trump supporters and Jehovah's Witnesses. Sure, there are some nice people. But, a good portion of the population, even the employed people you will see at the stores around town, do not have front teeth. I'm not kidding. The local clinic does not accept new adult patients. So, unless you are ready to pay out of pocket for a dentist in Brookings, OR, you're SOL.

Healthcare? Anything major and you get flown to Medford or Grants Pass. And your family gets to commute there to visit you.

Shopping? Other than the above, there's a Safeway, Walmart, Walgreen's, Big 5. That about covers it. If you want Costco, it's at least 2 hours away, and maybe a landslide will get in your way to Eureka.

Lots of wind - insane wind. Like 60 mph gust wind. It's not just cloudy, it's freakin' insane stormy a lot of the time, with sideways rain and crazy wind storms.

And yes, on those rare days when there's no rain and the sun is shining it's amazingly beautiful and yes, you can take your dog to the park or the beach off leash without hassle most of the time.

And for a couple months of the year, the roads into the redwoods are actually not too muddy to drive without four wheel drive and a winch.

It's a very, very small town. If you get involved with the population socially, it will just keep shrinking.

But, hey, maybe you'll love it. I'm so happy to be back in San Jose, I can barely contain myself lol.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:20 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,723,942 times
I agree with the others about visiting those NorCal coastal towns first for at least a week before considering actually moving there. They all have their own personalities along with odd quirks and underbellies. I would pick Brooking, OR any day over Crescent City if I were to live in that border region. Visit the two and see for yourself.

Of course San Jose is busy and some do get tired of the pace. But there are 'many' other options throughout the state with adequate amenities, decent medical care and other desirable features without all those crowds. I don't like how crowded Santa Cruz has gotten either. But as you begin to head further south down the Central Coast things get less crazy fairly quickly. I've found Monterey to be very laid back for a mid sized coastal town. If you want smaller still check out the coastal communities near San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Arroyo Grande, Orcutt, et al.

If you don't have to be right on the coast places like Santa Rosa and Petaluma are great options. We family there who really enjoy it.

If you really want to go further north and don't mind being more remote/isolated, Southern Oregon is really nice in parts such as Brookings, Gold Beach, Bandon, etc...

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-02-2017 at 08:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California