Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 10:27 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,187,543 times

Advertisements

I went to Yosemite a few years ago. They have a open tram (for a fee) to ride up to where a bunch of the bigger trees are. There is a hiking path but it may be too far for small kids. There are shuttle buses around the park to take that helps too. Check in on the website for Yosemite for additional information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 10:36 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,500,158 times
Do not do the, 17 mile loop at Carmel.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:36 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
OP, I could answer your question different ways, depending. You could wait a year or two til the kids are older, for Yosemite. It sounds like this won't be your last CA coast trip.

Also, I wouldn't assume that Hwy 1 will be drivable after all the rain and mudslides and whatnot are over. The stormy seas took a chunk out of an oceanside drive in Santa Cruz, for example, that the city is trying to decide what to do about. (Rebuild, with reinforcements? $$$$ Or redesign the road down to just 1 lane?) Keep an eye on the reports about Hwy 1. The section farther north, around Big Sur, is prone to landslides and closures.

I would do Yosemite on a shoulder season, when there are fewer visitors. Maybe spring break week. The summer temps are too warm for me for hiking, but maybe that's just me...

It sounds like a nice trip though, with or without Yosemite.

Old 01-23-2023, 01:43 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,799 times
If you take the 10 and drive the PCH, the drive from LA to SB (or the other way around) is really nice. Not much traffic outside of rush hour. Get picnics and stop at the beaches north of Malibu. Check out the show at muscle beach and the SM pier at the end.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:58 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Trip will be about 2 weeks. We have some friends/family in SD, LA, Santa Barbara and SF that we'll stay with along the way and also plan to get a hotel room around Monterey. Was thinking about doing a loop - going from LA to Yosemite, then SF and down Highway 1. My kids tend to travel really well and we usually do a 1 to 2 big trips a year, but yeah, it does seem like a lot to pack in.
We raised our kids in Monterey and took them to Yosemite a lot when they were young. The Big Sur coast along the the Santa Cruz redwoods are a must see regardless if you go to Yosemite or not. That's a lot to squeeze in driving from SD to SF plus Yosemite.

While young kids definitely will have fun in Yosemite, you are going at the absolute most crowded time of the year. It will be the most crowded national park you have ever visited then and everything inch of the valley will be packed included hiking trails, camping areas, visitor centers, park buses, etc...

If you do decide to take them to Yosemite, I would visit the backside around Tuolumne Meadows which is less crowded. The ultimate loop would be LA to Yosemite going to around the backside and seeing one of the most beautiful parts of the state including Bishop, Mammoth Lakes, June Lake, Mono Lake and then up Tioga Pass to Tualome Meadows. Then drop into the valley for a visit (knowing it will be crowded) before heading to Monterey.

Alternatively, just enjoy your two weeks along the coast spending more time in the Monterey, Big Sur, Carmel and Santa Cruz mountains. Enjoy the redwoods and the beautiful rugged coast along with gorgeous beaches around Carmel and Pacific Grove. Go to the aquarium, PG museum, Pt. Lobos, wharf, go whale watching, rent paddle boards or kayaks and see the sea otters close up at Moss Landing. Spend some time exploring and relaxing...

Derek

Old 01-27-2023, 11:59 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,296,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I'll be taking my family to California this summer. I've been a bunch myself, but have never been to Yosemite which is on my bucket list and we have reservations at House camp. I'm really into the outdoors and National Parks so I know I'll love it.
Only if you love sitting in traffic jams.

https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view...0ACF1DFDA9AA16

The kids might be happy to go back to school after being stuck in Yosemite summer traffic.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Only if you love sitting in traffic jams.

https://www.nps.gov/media/video/view...0ACF1DFDA9AA16

The kids might be happy to go back to school after being stuck in Yosemite summer traffic.
I'm so glad people are warning the OP about that. Summer really isn't the time to go to Yosemite. Fall used to be a good time, but now the fall is fire season. Spring would be best.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
I did San Jose-Santa Cruz-Monterey-SanDeigo, 2021. I got stopped around Ragged Point from a washout. Washouts in this stretch are BIG washouts and the driving is harrowing. +/- 10 miles of Ragged Point. With all the rain that CA is having, I expect there is a good chance of CA 1 (Cabrillo) to be partially closed. I had to do two portions a
northern part and a southern part. Surfliner bus-train tied the drivable portions together.

I found the end points: Monterrey Bay-Santa Cruz and Moro Bay-San Luis Osbispo more interesting.
I wasn't able to do San Simeon-Hearst Castle (covid closure).

We, mid 70yo, have a 10 day southern california trip at end of Feb. San Diego, 4days to see the Sun, Zoos and environs. Wander up by the Coastal/Amtrak to LA area to see friends and family. Then Surfliner/Amtrak couple days to get to the Bay Area to see family. Fly back to Seattle.

Redwoods in the Big Sur area is good but not as good as the Redwoods in Northern California.
Coastal southern CA is a near desert. Contrasted to Coastal Northern California.
Yosemite is very good, regardless of crowds.
Children should read Steinbeck's, Cannery Row, Tortilla Flat.
YMMV
The OP's kids are in elementary school. They'd probably do best in those NorCal redwood parks, many of which have flat trails that would be easy for kids. It's a great idea to take a trip focussed on NorCal parks and sights. Except Humboldt has had a fair amt. of weather-related damage lately. But there are good redwood parks in the northern Bay Area, too.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:44 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm so glad people are warning the OP about that. Summer really isn't the time to go to Yosemite. Fall used to be a good time, but now the fall is fire season. Spring would be best.
We had annual passes to Yosemite but never went during summer for that reason. The crowds and looooong traffic jams getting into the park are insane and only getting worse every year. You could wait for hours just to get in... Or enjoy another beautiful place less crowded. Then go back during any other season besides summer. The park is gorgeous year round.

If you really want to visit the High Sierra during summer, Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP are better alternatives to Yosemite. There's a ton of beauty to explore between those connected parks. We've rented cabins at Hume Lake and Montecito Lodge. Both are great places to take kids. https://www.mslodge.com/

Derek

Old 01-27-2023, 11:20 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,500,158 times
My niece was the architectural firm's site manager at Yosemite NP, during their refurbishment, late 1990's (?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California