Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 10:34 AM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,412 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on this?

Newsom passed the “Freedom to Walk” bill. The law, which goes into effect on Jan. 1, comes years after activists have argued that jaywalking rules disproportionately affect marginalized and low-income residents.

- More people ignoring crosswalks and walking into the street
- More kids leaving school and jaywalking; <-- definitely not good.

Doesn't this put more people in danger in crowded areas? the jaywalker and the driver and their passengers if they have to make an abrupt stop.

If there's no ticket, there's no penalty for being irresponsible.

I think Newsom passed it because latino immigrants have grown up accustomed to always jaywalking in their home country. So why ticket them for something ingrained into their culture? You don't. I guess we'll see the comparison of deaths from non-crosswalk to crosswalk next year.

Last edited by frankrj; 03-07-2023 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 11:16 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
I think Newsom passed it because latino immigrants have grown up accustomed to always jaywalking in their home country. So why ticket them for something ingrained into their culture? You don't.
You can't be serious. He vetoed a previous version of the bill in 2021; it was revised it so that police can still issue jaywalking tickets for dangerous behavior.

https://www.calbike.org/freedom-to-w...in-california/

Old 03-07-2023, 01:13 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
I don't buy this. Every city in CA has freaking 4 way stops, crosswalks and lights. It's just people being lazy and don't want to walk that extra 50 yards. I cycle every day and in the last 20 years have hammered 2 peds jaywalking while riding my bike. They just get up and run off while I'm laying there torn up and dazed.

They even put up giant hedges in Linda Vista to try and curb the laziness. The fools just cut paths through it to avoid the crosswalk and lights. I really don't feel sorry for these idiots. I've already seen what some of these "culture norms" are and a lot of them just don't fit in here. Think throwing TP after you've used it either into a trashcan or on the floor because they've been taught it can't be flushed due to the bad pipes.

Inequities in neighborhood design and street infrastructure leave many lower-income California neighborhoods less than pedestrian-friendly

Old 03-07-2023, 10:34 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,166 times
It’s interesting as most tickets were written under local municipal ordinances does it nullify local ordinances as well? Ie no ped crossing signs, fences, etc which still exist. I thought decriminalizing just means it doesn’t go through the same court progress that includes the possibility of jail time for non payment of fines. Kind of like city violations (Ie weeds on lawns) or parking violations.

What about freeways though I still remember these signs exist? Probably we should bring them back again?

https://www.theatlantic.com/national...-signs/274432/

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 03-07-2023 at 10:53 PM..

Old 03-07-2023, 10:44 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,654,340 times
Freedom to Walk? Nice marketing in the nomenclature, as if people are currently forbidden to walk.

"By God, if Madison and the rest of the Founders were here today, they would support the freedom to walk..."

Why is everything in this state these days so pedestrian, no pun intended...

Old 03-08-2023, 05:01 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Jaywalking has been ignored for decades. This new law won't have an impact, whatsoever. Just more silliness from the state legislature.

Old 03-08-2023, 05:29 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,354,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Jaywalking has been ignored for decades. This new law won't have an impact, whatsoever. Just more silliness from the state legislature.
Yeah, not so much. I recall getting singled out for a jaywalking citation in 1964 as a highschool student in San Jose, one of scores of students going off campus for lunch ...

Old 03-08-2023, 05:33 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
I'm not a fan of pedestrians, but it's a good move. Traffic law enforcement is 100% about revenue collection. It doesn't change one single person's behavior. Look how many speeding tickets they write. Does it slow anyone down? Of course not. Everybody still speeds.

Law enforcement agencies should be happy. They are always crying that they don't have enough manpower to respond to crimes. Well now they will have one less responsibility to worry about, and maybe they can concentrate on real crimes.

This law will prevent stuff like this from happening. One minute a woman is minding her own business happily jogging along listening to her music. The next minute she is tackled to the ground, handcuffed, thrown in a police car and has a criminal record for the rest of her life. This will stop that type of nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ugqW7fFmk

Old 03-08-2023, 06:57 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Yeah, not so much. I recall getting singled out for a jaywalking citation in 1964 as a highschool student in San Jose, one of scores of students going off campus for lunch ...
Ugh. That was just wrong, gemstone. Picking on a high school student like that.

Old 03-08-2023, 09:05 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times
I’ve been told tickets are actually issued for jaywalking in Southern CA? I’ve never seen a ticket for this issued in Northern California, or anywhere else for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California