Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 01:26 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times

Advertisements

My step- sisters daughter has an opportunity to live practically rent free near Fresno State and it was suggested she transfer to Fresno State to finish her degree. She has another 3yrs left.

She doesn’t want to move to Fresno. I asked her why and she said because its Fresno but she was not specific, which got me thinking., why does Frenso still have a bad reputation in 2023?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 02:16 PM

579 posts, read 511,913 times
Fresno has all the headaches of big city California living, with few of the benefits.

It wouldn't be so bad if Fresno maintained some of that "down home Main Street, USA" charm, that you find in similar sized metros like Louisville/Des Moines, Omaha. The places where folks still care about "the big game", homecoming parades, and accidentally leaving your car unlocked overnight isn't a guarantee that it will be trashed in the morning.

Fresno just isn't that. It just feels like someone took a large chunk of East/South LA and plopped it in the middle of the central Valley. There are some nice parts, but if you whole world is North Fresno/Clovis/Tower District, you will have a reaaaally small bubble.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:03 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Fresno has all the headaches of big city California living, with few of the benefits.

It wouldn't be so bad if Fresno maintained some of that "down home Main Street, USA" charm, that you find in similar sized metros like Louisville/Des Moines, Omaha. The places where folks still care about "the big game", homecoming parades, and accidentally leaving your car unlocked overnight isn't a guarantee that it will be trashed in the morning.

Fresno just isn't that. It just feels like someone took a large chunk of East/South LA and plopped it in the middle of the central Valley. There are some nice parts, but if you whole world is North Fresno/Clovis/Tower District, you will have a reaaaally small bubble.
That's actually a pretty good explanation. And unless it's changed, Fresno State doesn't have the college community that most colleges do, it's more a commuter school, as is Sac State.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's actually a pretty good explanation. And unless it's changed, Fresno State doesn't have the college community that most colleges do, it's more a commuter school, as is Sac State.
Yes, this would back that up:

Fresno State as around 1,100 students living on campus.

Sacramento State as around 3,200 students living on campus ( 3 times the amount of Fresno); and they have been working hard at increasing student housing.

In comparison, University California Davis which is 20 miles from Sacramento State, has nearly 98% of its students living within a mile or 2 from the campus, with about 13,000 of the students living directly on campus.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:13 AM

2,896 posts, read 1,996,337 times
The better question is why is chim going back to trolling fresno ? This is circa 2017 chim stuff. Anywho, ill play along.

Much of fresno is stuck in the 60s-80s, which is sad cause architecture from that era was pretty bland. Fresno has awesome housing, however. its funny to see ugly 60s stripmall next to cute housing, but thats fresno for you.

Fresno state is improving, but it got left in the dust by some other state schools(SDSU). Fresno state has a larger campus than sacramento state. If they wanted to, they could EASILY build more housing.

Fresno lacks cool districts and the neighborhoods around downtown are the seediest parts of fresno. If fresno had a couple of cool districts, its reputation would be 10x better. The city is building a nice mixed use shopping center as we speak, but i dont think itll be cool enough to help fresnos reputation.

Someone said Louisville + safe and charming, right. I dont think your car would be safe on Louisville streets either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
My step- sisters daughter has an opportunity to live practically rent free near Fresno State and it was suggested she transfer to Fresno State to finish her degree. She has another 3yrs left. She doesn’t want to move to Fresno. I asked her why and she said because its Fresno but she was not specific, which got me thinking., why does Frenso still have a bad reputation in 2023?

She could live in clovis and drive to fresno state( right next door ). Something doesnt add up here. Frenso, really. Come on, chim. Are you mad i wrote in the anti Sacramento thread or what

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 03-20-2023 at 11:34 AM..

Old 03-20-2023, 11:46 AM

China peak is going to get 700 inches of snow soon. Only 60 miles from clovis. Tell "her" that, chim.
Also Tell "her" that east fresno/clovis are closer to real foothills(not folsom mounds) and mountains than sacramento. See what "she" says.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
The better question is why is chim going back to trolling fresno ? This is circa 2017 chim stuff. Anywho, ill play along.

Much of fresno is stuck in the 60s-80s, which is sad cause architecture from that era was pretty bland. Fresno has awesome housing, however. its funny to see ugly 60s stripmall next to cute housing, but thats fresno for you.

Fresno state is improving, but it got left in the dust by some other state schools(SDSU). Fresno state has a larger campus than sacramento state. If they wanted to, they could EASILY build more housing.

Fresno lacks cool districts and the neighborhoods around downtown are the seediest parts of fresno. If fresno had a couple of cool districts, its repuation would be 10x better. The city is building a nice mixed use shopping center as we speak, but i dont think itll be cool enough to help fresnos reputation.

Someone said Louisville + safe and charming, right. I dont think your car would be safe on Louisville streets either.

She could live in clovis and drive to fresno state( right next door ). Something doesnt add up here.
Hi Don't, thanks for you input; it's good to hear what locals have to say about their own town, please don't be bitter. I told my step-sisters daughter "lets see what others, especially the locals, have to say as it might change your (her) mind".

My step-sisters daughter's near rent-free option is not in Clovis, somewhere in north fresno, but I think towards the west. She will only have to pay something like $50 a month.

You will be happy to hear, I recommended she move as she can always move back when she is done with college.

Hope you are doing well with all the rain u will be getting tomorrow, I personally like the rain and snow as long as nobody is hurt by it.

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-20-2023 at 12:00 PM..

Old 03-20-2023, 11:50 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
Quote:
My step- sisters daughter has an opportunity to live practically rent free near Fresno State and it was suggested she transfer to Fresno State to finish her degree. She has another 3yrs left.

She doesn’t want to move to Fresno. I asked her why and she said because its Fresno but she was not specific, which got me thinking., why does Frenso still have a bad reputation in 2023?
I think for free rent I could put up with some things.

Old 03-20-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Hi Don't, thanks for you input; it's good to hear what locals have to say about their own town, please don't be bitter. I told my step-sisters daughter "lets see what others, especially the locals, have to say as it might change your (her) mind".

My step-sisters daughter's near rent-free option is not in Clovis, somewhere in north fresno, but I think towards the west. She will only have to pay something like $50 a month.

You will be happy to hear, I recommended she move as she can always move back when she is done with college.

Hope you are doing well with all the rain u will be getting tomorrow, I personally like the rain and snow as long as nobody is hurt by it.

Im not bitter. its just strange timing to make this thread after you got angry i wrote in the Sacramento thread. Anywho, ttyl. Have a good day, chim.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Im not bitter. its just strange timing to make this thread after you got angry i wrote in the Sacramento thread. Anywho, ttyl. Have a good day, chim.
I wasn't angry, remember I agreed with you and shared an anecdote about "the bad rep towns of Cali".

Anywho, if I had didn't buy my Tahoe ski pass, I probably would try China Peak again, I have not been there in decades. Can't wait to get into Yosemite now that they are opening soon.

Tahoe was gorgeous today so much snow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California