Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 06:25 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
In 1984, I was one of several undercover security officers at a 5-star hotel named The New Otani Hotel, in LA's Little Tokyo. It was common to see celebrities and local politicians walk in for lunch or dinner. I recall walking near folks like Billy Dee Williams, Mary Lou Retton (Gymnast), Bill Murray, Pierce Brosnan, Mayor Tom Brady, and others.

One Saturday around 2am, an antique, yet very well-preserved car, pulled into the hotel's front drive. From the car, out stepped a chauffeur - driver's cap and all. I approached the guy and asked if I could help. He was looking for the front desk to leave his boss's luggage. I took care of the luggage while the chauffeur returned for his boss. A diminutive Japanese man with a polite smile walked in behind his chauffeur. I was standing at the front desk when the diminutive man walked up and - in Nihongo - asked for a room. The Front Desk Clerk (FDC) informed the guest that all rooms were booked through the weekend. The diminutive Japanese man placed his right hand on the desk and asked the FDC to check again. The clerk excused himself, looked, through reservation files, pulled one out, and did who knows what. The clerk returned with a key. "Sir, here's the key to your room. Our bell-staff will assist you with your luggage. Enjoy your stay at The New Otani"

I wasn't conversant in Nihongo, but something was very out of place. I asked the FDC how he'd found a room for the guest given that we were fully booked? In perfect English the FDC responded, "That guy is a Yakuza. You never say no to them." I then asked how he knew the guy was a Yakuza. The FDC told me that the Yakuza displayed his cut off pinky when he placed his right hand on the front desk.

Life in LA

Interesting! thanks for sharing that morel

Ya know I didn't really "discover" the fun things to do in Little Tokyo until after I moved away from LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
I met JFK, September 9th, 1960 in a small San Joaquin Valley town. The stop was one of many as he toured the valley by train when running for the democratic presidential nomination.
I stood very close to the train as it rained and after his very brief remarks Patricia Crawford invited me to meet JFK. I was a stunned 13 year old to say the least and this is one of the coolest and treasured memories I have.
That's great, nice to have treasured memories

1. What was the name of the San Joaquin Valley town?
2. September 9, isn't that California Admission Day?

3. September, it's very rare to get rain in early Sept in Cali, bet that just added to the memory.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:33 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
That's great, nice to have treasured memories

1. What was the name of the San Joaquin Valley town?
2. September 9, isn't that California Admission Day?

3. September, it's very rare to get rain in early Sept in Cali, bet that just added to the memory.
Madera is the name of the town and you're right, September 9th is California Admission Day.
The rain was a real fluke as early September is (or was) scorching hot! Lovely weather for cutting raisin grapes - a not so fond memory...

Old 03-23-2023, 09:54 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
I’ll never forget the evening we saw Lucille Ball. The restaurant was crowded with diners and there was light conversation among the diners. A few minutes later, Ms. Ball stood up from her seat to leave the restaurant and the entire place became quiet. Diners tried their best to eat their meals, but at the same time, “sneak a peek” at Ms. Ball without being too obvious. I still recall this vividly to this day.

I have been to Musso & Frank a few times, but never saw celebrities there. Perhaps, they had disguises on - LOL.

Quote:
Nice, and who doesn't love Lucille Ball, a class act and pioneer.

I always always would see famous folks at Musso & Frank. and when I lived in Los Feliz we often went to House of Pies...way too many times, lol.

Old 03-23-2023, 10:39 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
I was once in Polo Ralph Lauren on Rodeo Dr and Tom Selleck was in there shopping. What a tall good looking man! While I was acting casual and pretending to shop and not stare at him Sally Field came in the store ( she’s absolutely tiny). It was fun to see how famous people greet and interact with each other. It was obviously the first time Tom S had met her and he was so nice and gracious introducing himself and his wife to her. I’ve seen a lot of other famous people but that experience sticks out for me.

Old 03-23-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I was once in Polo Ralph Lauren on Rodeo Dr and Tom Selleck was in there shopping. What a tall good looking man! While I was acting casual and pretending to shop and not stare at him Sally Field came in the store ( she’s absolutely tiny). It was fun to see how famous people greet and interact with each other. It was obviously the first time Tom S had met her and he was so nice and gracious introducing himself and his wife to her. I’ve seen a lot of other famous people but that experience sticks out for me.
I used to always say this because it was always my experience. Could be anecdotal but almost aways, an actor/celeb looks alot more attractive in person, and usually is thinner than they appear, often also smaller in size. Big thing is they look really good in person.

If they are known to play the good-looking, hot, attractive character; in real life, they are actually Strikingly Amazingly Good Looking, like you really are in awe of how good looking they really are, amazing eyes, amazing features, whatever it may be.

If they are known to play the "ugly guy/gal, plain Jane, nerd or bad guy"; they are actually pretty darn good looking, not "ugly" or "nerdy" at all. Maybe not Striking, but certainly Attractive.

Old 03-23-2023, 02:58 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,807 times
Quote:
I used to always say this because it was always my experience. Could be anecdotal but almost aways, an actor/celeb looks alot more attractive in person, and usually is thinner than they appear, often also smaller in size. Big thing is they look really good in person.

If they are known to play the good-looking, hot, attractive character; in real life, they are actually Strikingly Amazingly Good Looking, like you really are in awe of how good looking they really are, amazing eyes, amazing features, whatever it may be.

If they are known to play the "ugly guy/gal, plain Jane, nerd or bad guy"; they are actually pretty darn good looking, not "ugly" or "nerdy" at all. Maybe not Striking, but certainly Attractive.
Yes true. I saw George Clooney shooting hoops by himself at Warner Bros studios. That man was so gorgeous I didn’t even pretend not to stare. I’ve always wanted to see Brad Pitt in person to see if he was really that good looking but I never have

Old 03-23-2023, 06:49 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Tom Selleck had a "wife?"

Was his wife named Bruce that like to attend hockey games?

Re: Sally Field...yes, the females in showbiz generally are diminutive. (Shelly Long is another.)

Old 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
My contact with celebrities is what I call the six degrees of separation game. I've seen plenty of celebrities in stage performances but not just out in public. My daughter rode an elevator with Donald Sutherland once and sat next to Michael Learned while attending a play in San Francisco. They chatted a little but I was pleased she didn't stoop to fan level and ask for an autograph. I think Ms. Learned was happy about that, too.

I imagine in southern California, seeing a celebrity out and about is common. They have to shop and do business too. But it must be surreal to see them in the flesh instead of on the screen.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:38 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Tom Selleck had a "wife?"

Was his wife named Bruce that like to attend hockey games?
Are you saying you thought Tom Selleck was gay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California