Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2023, 11:37 AM

1,320 posts, read 858,301 times

Advertisements

Hello all
Please share any/all experiences /information you have about this city

like a smaller sibling of fresno it does not get much attention but seems to have a bright side

esp interested in cons , pros are welcome too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 12:08 PM

1,072 posts, read 793,341 times
Clovis is a suburb of Fresno. Since you also mentioned Clovis vs. Redding in another thread, it's worth comparing.

The Fresno MSA is around 1M people, vs 200k for Redding MSA, so around 5x larger. This has pros and cons. Pros: more jobs, better healthcare, more events. Cons: more traffic, more crowds, etc.

Both Redding and Fresno/Clovis are examples of post WWII car-centric development. Lots of subdivisions and strip malls, with lackluster downtowns.

Relatively affordable COL (esp. for California). Redding and Fresno/Clovis are about equal, but Clovis is a little higher end with higher housing costs.

Like Redding, Fresno/Clovis has good access to the outdoors, with the Sierra Nevada range nearby. Yosemite is completely overrun, Kings Canyon not as bad. The National Forests are less impacted though can still get busy with proximity to the Bay Area's 8M people.

Air quality in Fresno/Clovis can get quite bad, and Valley Fever is more of an issue there.

Clovis has a low crime rate, less than half that of Redding (similar to Fresno).

Old 12-06-2023, 01:21 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
I much prefer to live on the outskirts of a big town. It's quieter, less frantic. Clovis is right next door, I mean minutes away from Fresno. If you don't can't find something to do in Clovis, drive on over to Fresno. Hot summers but not that unusual for any valley town. I think it's still cooler than Redding in the summer but I don't keep stats so I don't know that for sure. Clovis isn't really that small. It has a population of 100+K people. It's bigger than my city, by about 40K. If you like valley living, you might like it. If you like city living in cooler temps, stick to the western side of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California