Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 04:15 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I'm living in Texas now (I can't wait to move back to Calif). Texas does have one of the highest obesity rates. It's difficult (especially where I live) to get really fresh fruits and vegetables. I was spoiled in Calif.

And where I live in Texas, they JUST passed the No Smoking Ban in restaurants. (Thank God on that one too). I hated going into restaurants and having to breath in the smoke and then I have to eat all the greasy foods. You can't go outside and really exercise because it's so darn hot and humid here (that adds to the obesity rate too). Yuck!!

I'm also for the new California Hands-Free Cell Phone law that was just put in effect in California. I wish they would pass that in Texas/nationwide.
I do agree with the hands free issue. I have seen too many women driving and talking on cell phones. We all know women and when they are talking....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 04:17 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingSoCal View Post
regarding the hands-free cell phone law, I believe it is still legal to text while driving.
hmmmmmmmm
They are also a stupid Nanny State.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:17 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
So basically you're saying that California has so much influence ... other states, even conservative ones, would adopt this same regulation.

Didn't you say you're moving to escape California regulations? Then this would defeat the purpose of moving ... wouldn't it?

Nice try. I didn't say EVERY state. Just the ones that are on the fence about the true value of individual responsibility and choices.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee View Post
It looks like bitter and angry rants about government spread faster than the speed of light.
How does opposing a nanny state and supporting the freedom of people to make their own choices make me bitter? It seems to me that supporting the principle that this country was based on any thing but bitter.

How about a trans-fat party? Anyone?

Old 07-26-2008, 07:14 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRefugee View Post

lol

When they are active they are often viewed as crazies. Truth holders are often treated like pariahs. I think talk radio and cable television are more of a cancer on society than any government has ever been. That said, I like freedom of choice when it comes to dis-ease.

I don't even know if you're kidding. Yes, you are clearly all knowing, and thus your paranoid dillusions are justified.

You know what, I hate this "nanny state" stuff too! I mean, if I want arsenic in my food why can't I have it? Why is asbestos banned? Where is my freedom?! It's a slippery slope people! You know what I'm going to do about it?

Not vote/protest or really participate in any way, shape or form.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
So basically you're saying that California has so much influence ... other states, even conservative ones, would adopt this same regulation.

Didn't you say you're moving to escape California regulations? Then this would defeat the purpose of moving ... wouldn't it?

Because when people become accustomed to having government make decisions for them and give them things then they vote for politicians who promise to give them more who then go to Washington, DC and restrict my freedom and raise my taxes on a federal level.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:02 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
It is all about personal freedom and personal responsibility. I am about people having the freedoms God gave us and using their brains... What I am trying to say is that people should always have choices and the government should not try to make up for stupidity by infringing on everybody's rights. I am sure you would be all for removing all trans fat from grocery stores too?

I don't smoke, I don't drink. I eat fairly well, however I don't want the government telling me I can't do all of the above if I want to. Pretty simple, our founding fathers knew that but apparently our government has forgotten that lesson.
This is funny to me that you take so much pride in what you the gov't doesn't tell you to do in Texas. So are you against the ban on smoking in restaurants which is just starting to pass in much of Texas? Isn't that an 'infringement' on what you can and can not do based your own definition above? How dare they tell people not to smoke!

I think you are short sighted in your assessment of these types of laws or 'so called' freedoms and missing the main point. It is not about what 'You' can do. It is about how your behaviors/habits effect 'Others' around you. Whether that be smoking, cell phones while driving, drinking, eating as much garbage food as you please.

I could personally care less what you do or don't do in your house. Eat fried chicken with crisco oil or lard for breakfast lunch and dinner.

But when these trans fats are allowed in restaurants people don't have a 'choice.' If the restaurants decide to use unhealthy ingredients you get what they put in there like it or not. And they don't advertise it. So you have no way of knowing.

Heart disease is the number one killer in America. So it is no small problem that only affects 'stupid' people. It is more likely that you will die from that than any other disease. Second hand smoke will kill less people than heart disease. And eating trans fats is one of the biggest contributers to heart disease. So as healthy as you think you are don't underestimate the possiblity of having a heart attack caused by blocked arteries. And many of your proud Texan neighbors will die from the same thing.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-26-2008 at 08:48 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 08:23 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Because when people become accustomed to having government make decisions for them and give them things then they vote for politicians who promise to give them more who then go to Washington, DC and restrict my freedom and raise my taxes on a federal level.
When in the history of the United States has this ever happened. Our current president is about as anti-regulation as you're going to find.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:07 PM

44 posts, read 180,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Issues? No. Personal experience after living here for 7 years. What I've said isn't harsh, its simply being truthful. Even indigenous Brits consider this a thrid world country, including my BRITISH husband and in-laws. What Americans see of the UK on the nightly news is a total whitewash. Are you aware that Scotland is the most violent country in the Western world? Are you aware that in the UK it is LEGAL to provide alcohol to children as young as 5 years old? Are you aware that it is acceptible for school teachers and university professors (the ones who teach doctors and nurses ) to teach while under the influence of alcohol? It is also okay for these medical professionals in-training to attend courses while drunk? That isn't even the half of it! Brits, on the average, only bathe twice a week because they can't afford to have hot baths daily.
You are a few decades too late for the temperance movement but I've heard all things come and go in cycles. Maybe your time is coming---hang on.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:08 PM

44 posts, read 180,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
I thought this was funny.
the funny part is all the cops in the photo. I am sure the brotherhood will eb lodging a formal protest with city-data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: