Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 03:46 PM

607 posts, read 2,367,398 times

Advertisements

Family and I are really having a struggle deciding on whether to move out of state or just find a best kept secret in the foothills. We ultimately want to find a house with property so as to be able to recreate on our own property as well as having room for the kids to roam. We would like to be in the 3500' elevation give or take and also be part of a quaint Gold Rush town. Good schools are a must. The problem is that it's so hard to find a good house and property combo without breaking the bank. Hence, why we are considering a move out of the Golden State. Let me know if you've had this thought and if you have found that special place. Also, if you made the move out of state, where did you end up. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 10:33 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Family and I are really having a struggle deciding on whether to move out of state or just find a best kept secret in the foothills.
I have considered the very same thing exactly. Because leaving CA would be a biggie for me. It's been a while since I've really looked into it. My guess would be northern CA may be cheaper than the Sierra foothills. Like Trinity-Shasta? But not sure. 3 places I've wanted to look into. Weaverville, really liked it there. Mariposa, but I think RE has gone up. Three Forks, weather is supposed to be mild and coming from the cental coast I'm used to mild weather. States Ive considered are MT, SD, NV, & NE.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:38 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
West Point might work for you or even over in Pioneer. Groveland might also be considered. It's hard to find property big enough near gold rush towns as they mostly have been subdivided down to small size. Also most gold rush towns were lower in elevation than 3500'.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:32 PM

CA Central Coast, Been to Weaverville playing softball...didn't care for the atmosphere. I would probably only move to the East (Sierras) if staying in the state. Mariposa is not to far from current local and can definitely buy more for less there than here in Calaveras County. Where is Three Forks??? Done a lot of travelling in this state and that town isn't coming up on my radar. Thanks for the input and as far as out of state for us, my wife is a "New Englander" and I think we would go across the country when we leave here.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 PM

DMenscha, know very well the WP area as well as Pioneer. Actually do like the setting in Pioneer and with all the near commercial stores going in down the hill in Jackson, that's a very doable choice. WP is just to far up that lonely hwy 26 and the idea of going up and down daily for kids and work wears me out.

By the way, which real estate co. are you with? Thanks for the input.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:32 AM

I sent you a PM. I really have no idea what's happening in the Pioneer area real estate wise.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times
Oh, I'm sorry, I meant Three Rivers. A small town outside of Sequioa and King's Canyon NP, east of Tulare. I've only been through a couple of times. People say they love it there. The summer and winter climate is supposed to be mild.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:53 PM

DMenscha...thanks for the info. I've seen your biz in the local real estate mags. Keep up the good work.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:56 PM

CA...I'm pretty familiar with the area, but am still drawing a blank. Is this a one horse town or am I'm just driving by it not knowing what's up? What towns are neighboring it? Porterville, Lindsay?? Further East??? Have you been there?

Old 10-09-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
DMenscha...thanks for the info. I've seen your biz in the local real estate mags. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the kind words, we do what we can
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California