Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:44 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlough23 View Post
. Being able to march to your own drummer and still know you fit in somewhere is good, too - this place is far from a tolerant utopia, but you generally don't have to look too hard to find a group of crazy kooks who understand you.

Exactly!! No matter how odd you are, you will probably find a whole bunch of people just like you here. I also like the fact that I've been to music festivals with hippies, metalheads, ren faire kids, stoners, 80 year olds, 5 year olds, intellectuals and everything in between and we all get along even though we're all verrrrry different.

Plus... avocados and tri tip sandwiches!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 09:58 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,133 times
I love California purely for the landscape. California has some of the most fantastic landscapes anywhere in the world. The Eastern face of the Sierras are truly awe inspiring. The northern forests up in the Redwood Empire are amazing. The rugged coast, the desert in the south....all of it has some simply miraculous aspect to it. Central coast is perhaps the best though. Ventana wilderness and Point Sur are so beautiful they almost seem 'other worldly'.....

Old 12-15-2008, 12:25 PM

90 posts, read 361,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Exactly!! No matter how odd you are, you will probably find a whole bunch of people just like you here. I also like the fact that I've been to music festivals with hippies, metalheads, ren faire kids, stoners, 80 year olds, 5 year olds, intellectuals and everything in between and we all get along even though we're all verrrrry different.
Indeed. The fact that I can see the same band perform at an Orange County church's gym one year and the Viper Room the next year is indicative of something similar, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Plus... avocados and tri tip sandwiches!!
I take it for granted that California is an avocado haven. I would die without avocados being readily available.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:36 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,202 times
Everything that is outdoors. Catalina Island SCUBA diving, the entire coastline, & camping. I even love driving up the 5 and viewing the origin of many agricultural products we enjoy. I love the strawberry festival in Oxnard, the garlic festival in Gilroy, half-moon bay and the spanish style homes in Santa Barbara.
I love(d) motorcycling in the desert over Thanksgiving weekend, waterskiing on every one of the beautiful lakes, Whiskeytown Lake is my favorite.

I can do without the cities and boring architecture.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:15 PM

57 posts, read 162,238 times
Default I don't love it one bit

its a shell of what is once was. If that all you know, well you don't know any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Hey guys, us Californians receive a lot of flack on these forums, so I thought I'd pose a question...why do you love living in California?

Personally, I have a lot of history here. My great, great, great, great, great grandfather was a 49er and lived very near to where I live now. My father has lived here (in this county) all his life, and so have I. I feel a deep connection with the Sierra Nevada, and plan to spend my entire life here, because to me, it's paradise on Earth. I firmly believe that California is the most beautiful place on this planet.

What about you? What about California makes you want to live here? The mountains? The trees? The ocean? The coast? The desert? The wildlife? The diversity in peoples and landscapes?

Old 12-17-2008, 07:50 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,139,491 times
Diversity.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:21 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
its a shell of what is once was. If that all you know, well you don't know any better.
Yes, it is true... Which is why I'm leaving! I'd rather live with the rest of the Californians in Colorado

Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 PM

303 posts, read 846,345 times
It's HOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:56 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bates View Post
I don't care. I've lived in a lot of other states and they're the pits.

Even a shell of what California once was still beats other states any day.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:01 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
I love California because it is not a "churchocentric" place unlike the bible belt where we used to live and, due to this lack of a religious hang up, our kids' gymnastics performance was scheduled today, a Sunday at 10AM, with obviously no consideration for church goers.

In Huntsville, nothing happens on Sunday - everything was closed - car washes, hair cut places, even most restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California