Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:39 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,619,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMKM-Miller View Post
I think the votes for Obama were more a vote against the policies of Bush the past 8 years than anything else. Even as a Republican, I think Bush was a horrible president on many levels. People wanted change and Obama said he would give change. We'll see what he actually does. Personally, I think our country is doomed for at least the next 2 years with a democractic president, senate, and house. Well not only democratic, but very liberal dems at that. If history should tell us something, things go to hell in a handbasket when one party dominates everything. Look at California and the country during Bush (00-06), Clinton (92-94), and Carter.
Please explain how Clinton went to "hell in a hand basket?" How is our nation now compared to 2000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 12:30 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,206,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Please explain how Clinton went to "hell in a hand basket?" How is our nation now compared to 2000?
I think what CMK is trying to say that Clinton was a much better president after 1994 when the Republicans took over congress.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:41 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,478,516 times
To be fair Obama is a centrist, so I'm not particularly worried about people that are way on the other side of either aisle screwing things up. We're doomed for the next 4 years no matter since the past 8 have put the economy in the toilet. I think we're slightly less doomed with Obama, but time will tell.

Also Clinton's first 2 years were different because the major problems were different. He pushed crap through like school uniforms, etc. because he didn't have to deal with a quagmire of a war, another war that looked aright but is now in peril, and an economy that is in the hole big time. I have a feeling Obama will take things a lot more seriously (especially since he won decisively, whereas Clinton's first victory was a narrow margin due to Perot).

Old 11-06-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I think what CMK is trying to say that Clinton was a much better president after 1994 when the Republicans took over congress.
Thanks for clarifying

Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM

94 posts, read 333,144 times
Happ and Camaro, that is what I was saying. The country as a whole functioned better post 1994.

Obama is not a centrist. When has he ever been one ? He was one of the most liberal senators. If Obama wants to be considered a centrist, he needs to start appointing people from both sides of the aisle to his cabinet. Rahm Emmanuel as Chief of Staff, is a die-hard partisan Democrat. It's not starting off that way. You already have Senators like Schumer talking about the fairness doctrine again. Do you really want to live in Communist America. Free speech is meant to protect all speech, not just speech you agree with.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:15 PM

24,514 posts, read 33,347,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
To be fair Obama is a centrist, so I'm not particularly worried about people that are way on the other side of either aisle screwing things up. We're doomed for the next 4 years no matter since the past 8 have put the economy in the toilet. I think we're slightly less doomed with Obama, but time will tell.
How can Obama be a centrist if he is the most liberal Senator in Congress (even more liberal, going by his voting record, than Ted Kennedy)?

And if the past 8 years have put the economy in the toilet, why was there 52 consecutive months of job growth, a lower average unemployment rate lower than the average for the '70s, '80s and '90s, and a one-quarter GDP growth back in 2004 of over 7%... the highest GDP growth since 9.7% in 1984 and higher than at anytime during the '90s?

Old 11-06-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
How can Obama be a centrist if he is the most liberal Senator in Congress (even more liberal, going by his voting record, than Ted Kennedy)?

And if the past 8 years have put the economy in the toilet, why was there 52 consecutive months of job growth, a lower average unemployment rate lower than the average for the '70s, '80s and '90s, and a one-quarter GDP growth back in 2004 of over 7%... the highest GDP growth since 9.7% in 1984 and higher than at anytime during the '90s?
How does any of that data improve our condition now? It is nothing more than a diversion of responsibility.

I'm interested, Fleet, how you explain the change in the counties that are now Democratic?

Old 11-06-2008, 03:07 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,478,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

Because the job growth was based on a massive economic bubble that exploded and now, over the next 2 years (at least) we are going to finally see the effect? Just because you voted for GWB it's ok to admit when you're wrong.

I've read that over the next several years unemployment rate is going to rise to 10%, I can bust the article out if you want me to.

By the way, wage wise I'm making about as much as I would have leaving college now as I would have in 2000. And I'm in the tech industry. The job growth didn't really swing down to the middle class, which is one reason a lot of people are upset.

And he's a centrist because he voted for dumb things like the FISA bill and he's yammering about how he's going to jump into Iran and Pakistan, he's also against gay marriage. Oh sorry I forgot he's supposed to be a Communist because some ads said so.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:33 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,206,377 times
California may be more Democratic but its not necessaryly liberal with the passage of prop 8.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:51 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,700,138 times
I don't care how democratic it is, just govern from the middle. Too many partisan democrats and republicans in office IMO. The party bases are never satisfied and it's the people in the middle that matter most.

I really hope Prop 11 returns us to more moderate, sensible politicians willing to work together rather than fight each other on everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California